Tapology Forums

Is UFC mad at Jon Fitch

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.03.2010 | 7:22 PM ET

Could have sworn I already made this thread, but could not find it lol.

anyways, I was wondering what people thought's of the UFC making Jon Fitch's next opponent an up in comer by name of Jake  Ellenberger?  To me this seems to be a reaction to Jon Fitch's claims about never fighting Kos. What do you all think? Is is legitment match up or an FU to Jon Fitch. Because this fight seems to have very little up side for him.

"here I come to save the day"

Responses

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.03.2010 | 7:23 PM ET

I have no idea why this made two thread.  If moderator could close one please do.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

11.03.2010 | 7:31 PM ET

Damn that's annoying, sorry.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

11.03.2010 | 9:35 PM ET

No worries. 

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

11.04.2010 | 6:40 AM ET

Dana White has had a long history with American Kickboxing Academy in general, and Jon Fitch in particular.  In November 2008 he briefly cut Fitch from the UFC after Fitch and other AKA members refused to sign a contract giving over lifetime video game rights of their likenesses to the UFC.  White was prepared to cut Koscheck and another young up-and-comer, Cain Velasquez, if they didn't sign the agreements, and was prepared to no longer work with any other AKA-trained fighters (although Mike Swick broke ranks from the rest of AKA and signed right away).  AKA caved in a few days later and signed the agreements, and all was returned to normal.

Dana White and Fitch sparred again at the post-fight presser when Fitch claimed he wouldn't fight Koscheck -- I believe this was after Fitch's win over Ben Saunders -- saying sarcastically they fight already in the gym every day and why don't they hold the bout behind closed doors in the gym. Dana White responded with something to the effect of "yeah, that's gonna make a lot of money."

White had said earlier this year that the winner of the Fitch / Alves rematch would get a shot at the title, then reversed position and said that following GSP / Koscheck, it would be the winner of Shields / Kampmann who gets the title shot and not Fitch.  Now he gives Fitch a bout with Jake Ellenberger, which is a dangerous fight for Fitch in which he has nothing to gain and everything to lose.  It's pretty clearly a snub of Fitch in my opinion and I think Dana would like nothing more than to see Fitch lose so they can drop him back down a notch, maybe even to the prelims.

Lesson being, don't F with Dana White.

Anyway, Ellenberger's a good fighter, young and hungry with the wrestling to compete with Fitch, though perhaps not the late-round experience and toughness.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.04.2010 | 10:01 AM ET

@Jeremy,

Totally spot on regarding Ellengerber's chances against Fitch.

I actually spoke with Jon earlier this week and we touched on this topic. He honestly seemed pretty resigned to his fate to me and we spent some time talking about a possible move to middleweight, as well. That one will be up in a couple of weeks.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

11.04.2010 | 10:27 AM ET

The answer to the original question is both yes and no. This is a legitimate fight with Ellenberger representing a serious threat to Fitch's "beaten everyone but GSP" record. BUT, this is exactly why it is a slap in Fitch's face from the UFC. As Jeremy says, Fitch has very little to gain in this fight, while Ellenberger has a chance to broach the top-ten with an impressive performance.
I have little sympathy for Fitch here though. I cannot understand the reluctance to fight someone you train with. The only logical explanation I can come up with is that they already know who will most likely win, and have agreed not to diminish the other's stock by going through the motions of the fight, but if that is the case then the weaker party needs to find a new camp.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

skelliher
skelliher

11.04.2010 | 11:11 AM ET

@Raray

Meaning Koscheck...

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

11.04.2010 | 12:58 PM ET

Yes, probably, but the point is more generally applicable.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.05.2010 | 5:22 PM ET

Jeremy pretty much said it. Fitch'es refusal to fight other members of AKA has seriously hurt his relationship with Dana. It was such a difficult situation for the UFC at the time because he had 3 people pushing for title contention at 170 from AKA. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

billy
billy
  • Predictions:  391  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 16

11.05.2010 | 6:51 PM ET

jon fitch just likes to fight.  i think he understands his style is not that exciting, and he already lost in his title shot and therefore the UFC is in a bind with him.  

"proving to daddy that i'm no fool"

Orbit
Orbit
  • Predictions:  213  |  57.7%
  • Forum Posts:  51
  • Post Score: -4

11.07.2010 | 2:07 PM ET

UFC needs to sell fights and get people to tune in... Fitch isn't making it happen.  Don't think they hate him, he just is what he is and what are they s'posed to do.  Great fighter tho.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

12.13.2010 | 5:54 PM ET

Jon Fitch is the man.

skelliher
skelliher

12.13.2010 | 7:53 PM ET

Agreed. He is the man.

In other news, exclusive interview with Fitch will be published tomorrow morning, 8am sharp, on the blog. Be there or be octagon.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: Watch Friday's PFL Europe 2 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMA Junkie at 1 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL MENA 2 lineup announced
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: McGregor vs. Chandler optimism, Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul back on
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 video: Jared Cannonier, Nassourdine Imavov get face to face for main event
  • MMA Mania : Face Off! Cannonier Stares Down Imavov In Louisville!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It could be a good idea’: Arum reacts to notion of Top Rank vs Golden Boy card
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor releases bevy of training footage amid UFC 303 speculation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville weigh-in results: Eduarda Moura misses weight for second straight fight
  • Middle Easy : Former U.S. President Donald Trump Hails Khabib Nurmagomedov as the ‘Greatest Fighter of All Time’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 weigh-in results: One heavy, but headliners Cannonier and Imavov on point
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson rescheduled for Nov. 15
  • MMA Mania : Paul Vs. Tyson Gets New Date For Netflix Boxing Match
  • Bad Left Hook : Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson now set for November 15
  • Middle Easy : Violent Brawl Breaks Out During Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal Press Event, Diaz Reacts to the Chaos
  • MMA Mania : Reyes Vs. Jacoby Betting Odds, Prediction
  • MMAFighting.com : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson boxing match gets new date
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 video: Jared Cannonier, Nassourdine Imavov make weight in Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville weigh-in video
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Set To Bank $6 Million From UFC Antitrust Settlement
  • MMA Mania : Mac Set To Bank $6 Mil From UFC Antitrust Settlement