Tapology Forums

Who has the best wrestling in mma?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

11.02.2010 | 7:28 PM ET

I think GSP is the best wrestler

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

11.02.2010 | 7:37 PM ET

GSP probably is the best at blending wrestling into his well-rounded MMA game.  The moment you are worried about being punched, he takes you down.

But if it was a pure wrestling competition, guys like Ben Askren, Dan Henderson, Matt Lindland, Eric Larkin, Randy Couture, Cole Konrad, Brock Lesnar, etc... all are better at straight up wrestling.  At least in their wrestling prime they were.  But then they don't even all wrestle the same style.  There is freestyle, greco-roman, folkstyle.

Whenever I check out some wrestling on TV, I'm struck by 2 things:
- How little I know about it
- How vicious, exhausting, and badass it can be

"I live, I die, I live again."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.02.2010 | 7:41 PM ET

Somewhat off topic, but when I trained at SSSF off and on this past summer, I wrestled with a 16-year old kid who was a state champion wrestler in MA. He weight in at 125lbs I believe. He dominated me for the first few rounds until I started to get the hang of it, then I started to win the rounds, but still, it was a pretty eye-opening experience as to how technical wrestling really is. I think a lot of people don't recognize how much technique is involved.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

skelliher
skelliher

11.02.2010 | 7:42 PM ET

To put that into context, I'm not a big guy by any means, but I am 21 years old and about 145lbs.

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

11.02.2010 | 7:53 PM ET

having a couple of years of bjj behind me (and watching a lot of ufcs to boot) has completely opened my eyes to the world of wrestling. i'll be honest: in high school i kind of looked at wrestlers as a bunch of strange guys in singlets who came to class all sweaty.  i had no conception of the artistry, the skill and the toughness of high level wrestling.

now, when i grapple with a decent wrestler for the first time i can immediately tell the difference, and usually know it before i ask them.  they are incredibly hard to sweep.  they are unbelievably strong, but you can't really place the source or the location of their strength the way you can with a muscle-bound powerlifter.  it's just "in there," hidden somewhere, preventing you from pulling any moves on them.  you can't budge their hips.  and they can go forever.

i really feel for the guys i watch who have to fight against a chael sonnen or a gray maynard or a ben askren or a gsp.  that feeling of being unable to get up, the way they keep sucking you down to the mat again and again . . . it's awful.  i love and honor bjj but i agree completely with joe rogan that the single best base to begin your martial arts training from is wrestling.  respect to all the wrestlers out there, it is a true martial art.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

11.02.2010 | 9:00 PM ET

Seems like GSP is the best wrestler, after what he did to Koscheck in the first match if he was supposed to be the most decorated wrestling at welterweight. 
skelliher
skelliher

11.02.2010 | 9:35 PM ET

@Jeremy

It is an extremely frustrating experience, being planted on your back over and over again by a wrestler. With my background in kickboxing, I have good enough speed and footwork to largely avoid takedowns by skilled wrestlers, but obviously you've eventually go to close range and either striker with them or tie up with them, and that's when you notice the immediate disadvantage you're at.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

11.03.2010 | 11:24 AM ET

This is a very debatible topic. I give GSP the nod by far though. So he might not be able to wrestle with Koschek or Fitch on the mats, but lets always remember that this is MMA. His timing is impeccable. GSP, best wrestling in MMA, HANDS DOWN!

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 post-event facts: Derrick Lewis builds on knockout record, and is coming for more history
  • Middle Easy : Vasiliy Lomachenko TKO’s George Kambosos To Become Champion Again – (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : The Conor McGregor effect: Dana White confirms UFC 303 gate record at 'way over $20 million'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Fight of the Night: Best photos from Trey Waters vs. Billy Goff in St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : ‘It Doesn’t Smell Bad At All’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card gets new addition
  • MMA Junkie : Video: KSW 94 delivers one of MMA's greatest walkouts ever – for a 14-second fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis explains why he threw his cup into the crowd after UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : Worst leg break in MMA history? Be the judge, if you have the stomach to watch
  • MMA Mania : UFC St. Louis, The Morning After: A Heavyweight Hype Train Crashes And Burns
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Brown reveals what cameras missed after he told Dustin Poirier ‘no more guillotines’ at UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Photo: Mateusz Rebecki reveals horrifying facial damage from brutal UFC on ESPN 56 loss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: 2024 total passes $3 million
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 PPV Finalized With New Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : This week’s boxing streaming and TV schedule
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : ‘Yeah, It’s Way Over 20 Million’
  • MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • Jits Magazine : Flavio Almeida Promoted To 6th Degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review