Tapology Forums

MMA NY

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

tonykasdorf
tonykasdorf
  • Predictions:  79  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 500

06.04.2013 | 10:48 AM ET

If you hate boxing, by all means, add MMA to the list. If you're not a big fan of the military or if you're one of those folks who isn't ashamed to say you don't understand why people thank soldiers, then again, bash away. But if you're someone who thinks boxing is a legitimate sport and you have a Support the Troops ribbon on your bumper, you might want to stop and think before you call everyon...e involved in MMA "poorly trained barbaric brawlers." A very large percentage of those I've met in the MMA community are veterans and soldiers, our own team included. The individuals who train for these events are not a bunch of bar room brawlers. They train day and night in gyms and at home. They study multiple forms of martial arts, and for many of the veterans involved, it is a positive outlet for them to stay connected to the warrior's ethos they cultivated in the military. I have never seen such outstanding sportsmanship as what I have witnessed at Cage Wars events, and there is no question that this group of martial artists feel they are members of a larger community, probably to a degree that those bashing them have never experienced and will never understand. So I say again, if you are a pacifist, by all means, add MMA to the list, but if you think boxing is okay and you shake the hand of every soldier you meet, but then turn around and call Mixed Martial Artists barbarians because they step into a cage instead of under the ropes, then you just might be a hypocrite.

"YOU CANT TEACH HEART"

Responses

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

06.04.2013 | 2:21 PM ET

You okay dude?
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.04.2013 | 2:36 PM ET

Weird.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,502  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,791
  • Post Score: 180

06.04.2013 | 3:20 PM ET

TS, I agree completely and I understand.

Skelliher, why weird?  He's obviously someone who disagrees with "civilized" fools who think MMA is only a barbaric sport mostly because they don't understand it so they simplify it as "barbaric violence" and yet think boxing isn't barbaric (talk about backwards) and then praise soldiers because it's the politically correct thing to do without understanding that soldiers are in life and death situations every day because the world is not a safe haven where violence is a "bad thing" but a reality. 

That's what I got from it anyway.  And it's why I dislike sport BJJ and amateur wrestling as compared to Gracie Combatives and combat sambo: they're closer to reality and the original intent of Rorion Gracie when he started the UFC.

Althought I don't understand the title. Why MMA NY?  I personally can't stand New York City. Upstate is ok.

* Edited at 06.04.2013, 3:21 PM ET *

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

06.04.2013 | 3:23 PM ET

Well he does post a link for Cage Wars which is a New York promotion that I cover so I assume that he is from the area and maybe he has run into a lot of these people that think its barbaric.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,502  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,791
  • Post Score: 180

06.04.2013 | 3:25 PM ET

ah, tx poir. I had noticed the red letters but didn't hover and hadn't heard of Cage Wars. 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232

06.04.2013 | 3:28 PM ET

Yeah I actually just added their last event into the system, it was too late for anyone to make picks on it but should be getting their upcoming cards in for picks.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

tonykasdorf
tonykasdorf
  • Predictions:  79  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 500

06.05.2013 | 3:13 PM ET

I am from Upstate NY and I deal with these kind of people everyday. They have no clue what it is like so they need to stay out of the debate. Just a rant I am fine but they get on my nerves.

"YOU CANT TEACH HEART"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’