Tapology Forums

Who should be TUF 14 coaches?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

05.23.2011 | 1:35 PM ET

There has been rumors for months as to who the new coaches would be but nothing has been settled yet that we know of. It would be awesome to see some of the feather or bantam weight fighters as coaches. It just seems like TUF needs another breath of fresh air after this season. Bisping and Sonnen would have been good tv for the epic trash talking but that has been scrapped because of Sonnen's suspension. Who would be suitable replacements that besides providing entertainment, would be good coaches and an even better fight?

Responses

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.23.2011 | 1:38 PM ET

Jones/Rashad....lol.  Could you imagine though?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.23.2011 | 1:49 PM ET

Sonnen can now reapply in june so unless they changed their mind only to deny him when he reapplies i dont see it being a problem.  Id rather see sonnen vs bisping over anyone else i can think of, especially after this season of politeness.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.23.2011 | 1:49 PM ET

maybe faber cruz but i heard that one has been turned down anyways.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

05.23.2011 | 1:55 PM ET

Faber vs Cruz is taking place at UFC 132 so it will be pointless having them coach after they have already fought. Jones vs Evans would be epic! I thought Sonnen had to wait till June 2012 reapply?
CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045

05.23.2011 | 1:57 PM ET

I thought Cruz/Faber would of been great..maybe winner of that and Torres if he beats Mighty Mouse?

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.23.2011 | 1:58 PM ET

BJ Penn and Jon Fitch or Jake Shields whoever they decide to have BJ fight next!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.23.2011 | 2:02 PM ET

Anything with torres would be great!!

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn

05.23.2011 | 2:02 PM ET

@Soccerkick only if Andy Wang is on BJ's team!

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

outlawmusic
outlawmusic
  • Predictions:  2,101  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  269
  • Post Score: 88

05.23.2011 | 2:04 PM ET

I think there would be a lot more options if they steered away from only using contenders...

For example some good hosts would be

• Mayhem Miller vs. Nick Diaz or Jacare
  • Bisping vs. Kennedy
  • Rumble Johnson vs Jon Howard
  • Lawler vs. Nick Diaz
  • Penn vs. Shields
  • Antonio Silva
  • Tito vs. Vera where the loser is cut (would be terrible to see but the light at the end of the tunnel is one of them is gone forever)
  • Mitrione vs. Tito
  • Any other rivalry that springs up in the next few months becausae of the new twitter bonus

"I don't go running, I train to fight not to run" - Don ******* Frye

jeff_manning_
jeff_manning_
  • Predictions:  372  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  106
  • Post Score: 133

05.23.2011 | 2:06 PM ET

Jon Fitch and Josh Koschek
F this friend crap I think they would be a good fight

"Fight with your hands not your face" - Ali

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

05.23.2011 | 2:10 PM ET

Torres/Faber (if both win) Bisping/Stann Bisping/Wandy Bisping/Sonnen  Evans/Bones
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

05.23.2011 | 2:11 PM ET

The next season is going to be either Bantamweights or Featherweights. I want to see Faber/Cruz but since that's not going to happen. Maybe Aldo/Mendes

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.23.2011 | 2:13 PM ET

Let's see...

They probably shouldn't use Heavyweights again. And who could they use, anyway? They could do Velasquez/Carwin if Carwin beats JDS, but that would be very very boring. Not really an option. The only other real options are Mir, Nelson, and Nog. And they can't do Mir/Nog for a second time. Therefore, Nelson/Nog, IF Nelson beats Mir, is the only option, and not a great one. Also, Nog will be fighting in August so perhaps that's too late in the year. There's always the Strikeforce Heavyweights, however, the fact that they're in Strikeforce and not the UFC automatically makes them doubtful. Plus, the tournament will still be going on throughout 2011. So, nobody at Heavyweight.

There's more options at LHW. Jon Jones could coach opposite the #1 contender. The fight Kalibo suggested - Jones/Evans makes a lot of sense considering everything that's gone on. Alternatively, there's Phil Davis if he wins, or there's the Rampage/Hamill winner, Forrest if he beats Shogun, and also Machida.

At Middleweight, Chael Sonnen, Mayhem Miller, and Bisping have all been suggested. Chael obviously isn't going to be able to coach. Miller/Bisping is an option. The Leben/Wand winner is another option. The MW champion could coach opposite the #1 contender, but who will those people be? There aren't any clear contenders after Okami. Bisping is an option, as well as the Stann/Santiago winner, and Munoz if he beats Maia. Jacaré would be the clear option if he were to jump over. I think Mayhem and any other highly ranked Middleweight is the best option overall for MW.

At Welterweight, it's too soon for GSP to coach again. Who else has the name value to coach? Fitch, Penn, Shields who just got beat, Alves if he beats Story, Marquardt if he beats Rumble, or the Sanchez/Hughes winner. I think Fitch/Penn is the only decent option here.

At Lightweight, they could use Edgar/Maynard. Nobody else really has name value. There's decent names like Clay Guida, but I don't see anyone that has the name value that makes up for not being champion.

At Featherweight, the only option is the champ vs the challenger, which means the Aldo/Mendes winner vs the Florian/Nunes winner.

At Bantamweight, it's a similar situation. Cruz/Faber winner vs the challenger. Who will that be? Torres/Johnson winner? Benavidez? Bowles if he beats Mizugaki?

So, LHW coaches seem likely. There's Mayhem at MW. Then there's the LW, FW, or BW champs. Have I forgotten anything? My preference would be either Mayhem, for entertainment value...

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406

05.23.2011 | 2:16 PM ET

If Sonnen doesn't get his license back in June, and Mayhem beats simpson, I'd like to see Mayhem vs Bisping.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn

05.23.2011 | 2:21 PM ET

How about Randy and Chuck just as coaches though? Instead of having official try outs have Randy and Chuck scour the world finding their own fighters..have a couple half hour episodes documenting their recruiting process then have your regular TUF show in the house etc

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

05.23.2011 | 2:35 PM ET

@Cash hahahaha....I think if Andy Wang made it again and was the best fighter there BJ still wouldn't use his last pick on him! We'd probably see this again too!

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800

05.23.2011 | 2:36 PM ET

I know a lot of those options make sense, but after this seasons failure in ratings, they need to go with something people will watch.  I know I would watch a Jones/Evans TUF and a Bisping/Chael TUF and that would probably be it.. unless women's MMA divisions are introduced in the UFC.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,095  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

05.23.2011 | 2:37 PM ET

I agree with Danno, if Sonnen can't do it, Mayhem vs Bisping is the best option-> in terms of ratings that is... most of the lower weight classes don't have enough name recognition, and the only lightweights that make sense are Edgar/Maynard.  At WW Fitch vs Penn vs Shields (what ever match up they come up with) LHW-> probably Jones vs No 1 contender, and as stated in an earlier post, they're probably not going to have two HWs coach again

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

05.23.2011 | 2:38 PM ET

@Cash I like your idea of Chuck and Randy...That would be a nice little change and maybe there would be some smaller gyms get there name up in the lights of TUF and push some business their way!

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

05.23.2011 | 3:04 PM ET

Only problem with chuck and randy is they wouldnt be fighting at the end.  Ufc decided a long time ago (might have been right after tuf 2 with hughes and franklin) that when the coaches didnt fight afterwards the meat head crowd lost interest.  I do somewhat agree with that. I havent been excited about this season because jds is too much of a nice guy and brock isnt misbehaving much at all so its somewhat boring.  Damn everyone being professional!!

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic: 'Somebody is going to get oiled up' if I get snubbed of bonus at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Louisville announced with 13 fights already booked for the card
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303