Tapology Forums

I'd rather see Diaz/Penn or Diaz/Alves

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.22.2011 | 7:20 AM ET

Diaz is obviously the top contender for GSP. He deserves the shot the most. However, I just can't see GSP losing. I'd prefer to see Diaz fight BJ Penn or Thiago Alves, rather than GSP, Fitch, or Koscheck. Maybe after he loses to GSP he could face one of these two. I'd honestly rather see Fitch get a rematch with GSP than Diaz get the shot.
Who would win out of Diaz and Penn?
Who would win out of Diaz and Alves?

No doubt Nick would stand with either fighter, but would he win? Would they even stand with him, or take him down instead?

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Responses Page 2

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

05.22.2011 | 5:26 PM ET

Gregory I disagree with condit being protected. In fact he been thrown to tough opponents with very little upside.

They throw him to ellenburger and rory, both of which were suppose to beast him, but condit is the come back king.

"here I come to save the day"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

05.22.2011 | 5:31 PM ET

Actually Gregory, you're right, but I think that they don't have those guys fight Aves, Fitch, or Koscheck because if the next challenger happens to beat GSP (which probably won't happen), then you have some marketable challengers for the new champion.

Boxing does this quite a bit, and now since MMA has grown as much as it has, they're doing the same thing to keep the marketability future fights. Also if the fighter loses, then you market contender fights and rematches.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.22.2011 | 5:34 PM ET

Personally if Condit beats DHK, then I think he's very deserving, and I agree with Franklin. He hasn't been protected by the UFC on his rise. He's had some very tough fights against some very good contenders, and he did something that GSP couldn't do. He KO'd Dan Hardy.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.22.2011 | 5:36 PM ET

DHK is quite the LnP master himself....so if condit can overcome him i think he deserves GSP...!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.22.2011 | 5:53 PM ET

Yeah I don't think that DHK is the most exciting fighter out there. I'm hoping that Condit beats him. Either way you look at it. You have some very slim pickings for GSP to defend his title against next. BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, and Josh Koscheck are out because he's already beaten all of them twice, Alves lost to Fitch so you'd have to have Fitch fight him first. Diego Sanchez, John Hathaway, Anthony Johnson, and Jake Ellenberger are all on the rise, but that's just it, they're all on the rise. They're not in title contention just yet. So the only viable opponents (that are in the UFC) you have for GSP are Jake Shields, Jon Fitch, DHK, and Carlos Condit.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

05.22.2011 | 7:27 PM ET

DHK I agree is boring, and Lay and pray artist. He gotten the nod when he does not deserve it, like against Diaz. I firmly believe that should have been a draw. 

"here I come to save the day"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.22.2011 | 11:47 PM ET

@gregory and @kalibo, I agree there really isn't anyone else who should be fighting GSP at welterweight right now, which is why he should move up. Diaz hasn't fought a wrestler since getting cut by the UFC, because he can't handle them. He should earn his shot like Shields had to earn his, in my opinion. 

Anderson still has challenges at 185, a Sonnen rematch, the Okami fight, a Santiago/Stann fight and even a Palhares fight are all very interesting, which is why he shouldn't be pressured into moving up to 205. GSP vs. any welterweights outside of (possibly) Fitch (whom I think has improved in leaps and bounds and could definitely make it a fight) is an uninteresting, one sided fight in my opinion.

That's why it's upsetting to me, I don't see why people want to see this Diaz fight, which is only delaying the real superfight, as Anderson is getting older and older. (also, when I said it was upsetting, I meant it was kind of upsetting me, not sure what you guys thought I meant by that)

"We Are All One"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.22.2011 | 11:54 PM ET

I honestly believe the best fight in the UFC for Diaz is The Natural Born Killer...Condit and Diaz very well could have the fight of the century in MMA

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

jaykool777
jaykool777

05.23.2011 | 12:08 AM ET

I agree with soccerkick. Diaz vs. Condit would be sick!!!!

@minotauro - GSP has already stated many times over that he has no desire to move up in weight, so if he's staying at WW, then who is there to put in front of him? Jon Fitch/GSP II is not marketable at all. Not at this point and time. We all know that GSP/Kos 3, GSP/BJ Penn 3, and GSP/Alves 2 would make about as much sense as farting in a jar and trying to freeze it. The only fighters that come to mind is the either the winner of Condit/DHK, Diego Sanchez (if he beats Matt Hughes), and Nick Diaz. If DHK defeats Condit, do you really think GSP/DHK would be marketable? Is GSP/Diego Sanchez marketable? If Condit beats DHK, I think GSP/Condit would be marketable. Condit and Diaz have relatively similiar styles. I think that's why so many people are clammering for GSP/Nick Diaz (like me).

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.23.2011 | 12:08 AM ET

i agree. it would be a stand up war for sure. mma politics says that diaz will face gsp first and condit can face the winner. who is condit fighting next?
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.23.2011 | 12:10 AM ET

jaykool answered my question. stun gun vs the natural born killer.
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.23.2011 | 12:10 AM ET

DHK.......!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

05.23.2011 | 4:12 AM ET

I would much rather see BJ vs Fitch.. 
I think Penn would win and we could see Penn vs GSP 3.
And the way GSP looked last fight, I hope he decides to trade with Penn. Lmao.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.23.2011 | 1:39 PM ET

I think Diego Sanchez should have to do a lot to earn a title shot. I think he lost to Kampmann. He lost to Hathaway not too long ago. And not long before that he lost to BJ Penn at a lower weight class.

Maybe I overstated how obvious a contender Nick Diaz is for GSP. However, the only other real contenders are Jon Fitch, and the Condit/DHK winner.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • Don'Tale Mayes vs. Caio Machado - Round 1 is in progress.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Don'Tale Mayes 42% Caio Machado 57%
  • Don'Tale "Lord Kong" Mayes (10-6-0, 1 NC) NM, US is the #26th Top Heavyweight MMA fighter.
  • Caio "Bigfoot" Machado (8-2-1) BC, CA is the #73rd Top Heavyweight MMA fighter.
  • UFC Fight Night features 13 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada