Topic: Guimarães vs. Lim

Guimaraes vs. Gyu Lim

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,668  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,583
  • Post Score: 60

02.27.2013 | 1:46 PM ET

Prediction: correct Lim   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Guimaraes vs. Gyu Lim. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

bc108
bc108
  • Predictions:  128  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: 83

02.27.2013 | 1:46 PM ET

Prediction: correct Lim   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Guimaraes is a high energy nothing.

"Student says " I am very discouraged. What should I do?" Master says, "encourage others.""

BlackSwan
BlackSwan
  • Predictions:  6,255  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: 105

02.27.2013 | 2:00 PM ET

Prediction: correct Lim   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

As much as Guimaraes is known for his grappling abilities, he showed mediocre TDD in his UFC debut vs Stittgen. It was not a very pleasant fight to watch but he managed to grind it out. Here, he will be looking to do the same against top Korean prospect Lim. He will look to wear out Lim and push the fight against the cage. If Lim has a weakness from the limited footage I’ve seen, it’s his SUB defense and questionable cardio in the second half of his fights at times.

This fight was scheduled to take place in Macau but Lim struggled with the weight cut and had kidney issues if I remember correctly (red flag). Lim is a tall and big welterweight with good TDD, power in his hands and good striking technique. If he looks good at the weigh ins this Friday I see him passing this test pretty easily.

* Edited at 02.27.2013, 2:00 PM ET *

TommyT
TommyT
  • Predictions:  73  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  44
  • Post Score: 180

03.01.2013 | 5:24 PM ET

The other thread kinda went to ****, so I'm going to repost my thoughts on the fight, and also include my friends thoughts: 

Lim “The Ace” Hyun-Gyu (10-3-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) Vs. Marcelo “The Iron Sheik” Guimaraes (8-0-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC):

- Lim is 1 year younger, 2” inches taller, and has a huge 11” reach advantage.

- Guimaraes is a Black Belt in BJJ.

- Guimaraes is a former Jungle Fight Champion, Champion of the World Cup of Jiu-Jitsu in 2006, he has competed in IOC freestyle and Roman Greco wrestling competitions, is a 12-time state-wrestling champion, and 10 times state champion in BJJ.

- Guimaraes has two wins by submission and one by knockout.

- Guimaraes is the crazy ass hole that was screaming “THIS IS MY LIFE” at the end of his last fight (http://youtu.be/P7Lh9Egsqic).

- Lim has won the PXC Welterweight Champion, and the Motor One Jiu-Jitsu Tournament Open Class Champion.

- Lim went to college and majored in MMA.

- Lim has seven wins by knockout, and two by submission.

- Lim has seven first round finishes.

- Lim is on a five fight-winning streak.

- Lim has finished his opponents in his last nine wins.

Guimaraes looked as bad as you can look while getting a win in the UFC. He appeared to be at the very bottom of the division, but he was ridiculously emotional during the fight, and maybe that will be different here in his second outing. At the end of the day, Guimaraes is undefeated, and has an excellent wrestling / submission game, sure his stock has dropped, but coming into his previous fight he was thought of as a top prospect. Lim is also a top prospect. While he has yet to compete under the bright lights of the UFC, this guy has an absolutely ridiculous highlight reel (http://theanticool.tumblr.com/post/32400139114). Lim appears to have potential to shake up the division with his massive size and excellent striking. I do worry about Guimaraes trying to shoot takedowns constantly, but I think that the size and in turn range of Lim dictates the fight, and leads to the early finish.

Hyun-Gyu over Guimaraes. Round 1 TKO. Confidence: 6

A friends take on the fight:

Lim vs. Guimaraes – Pick: Lim (1st KO) Confidence: 7

·         Tale of the tape: Lim has a 9” reach advantage and a 2” height advantage

·         Lim fights out of Korean Top Team which produced Korean Zombie and Dongi Yang. So even though he doesn’t have any experience in the UFC< he trains daily with high quality fighters.  Plus he has gotten a ton of praise from Zombie, calling him the best overall fighter in their camp. 

·         I just watched a fight of his, and dude is straight crazy.  He was smiling and looking all nutty eyed, and just came out swinging.  He isn’t the most technical striker, and his ground game looked pretty questionable (he was only 2-1-1 at the time), but guy comes ready to fight. 

·         Lim definitely has power and has won 7 of his 10 wins by KO. 

·         Guimaraes is undefeated and coming off a SD victory in his UFC debut.  Based on the fight recap, it seems like all he tried to do was work for a takedown (unsuccessfully, he went 0-17) and just held his opponent against the cage. 

·         I like Lim’s chances to pop off against this guy.  Guimaraes will try to grind Lim to the ground, but I think Lim is strong enough to fight off the TD attempts and should pick him apart on the feet. 

* Edited at 03.01.2013, 5:25 PM ET *

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

03.01.2013 | 5:25 PM ET

I hope Guimaraes does some screaming in this fight.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

03.02.2013 | 1:21 AM ET

vazio
vazio
  • Predictions:  17,531  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,205
  • Post Score: 225

03.02.2013 | 3:02 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Guimarães   wrong Decision  

Guimarães really is way better than what he showed in his UFC debut... just saying... don't really know Gyu Lim, but people shouldn't count Guimarães out this easily.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

03.02.2013 | 3:50 AM ET

I've switched this pick a couple times because I haven't seen very much of either fighter.
viapicante
viapicante
  • Predictions:  3,783  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  109
  • Post Score: -43

03.02.2013 | 3:00 PM ET

5 Stars

"| MMADAWGS.com | youtube.com/MMADAWGS | facebook.com/MMADAWGS | twitter.com/MMADAWGS |"

MMApicker42
MMApicker42
  • Predictions:  4,050  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,828
  • Post Score: 131

03.02.2013 | 3:29 PM ET

Does Gyu Lim have good TDD??? Does he have any credentials on the ground??? Judo or BJJ? Cause if he doesn't im going Guimaraes...... Someone fill me in.

What is Gyu Lims actual reach? Nevermind i found it, 82 inch reach

* Edited at 03.02.2013, 3:33 PM ET *

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

03.02.2013 | 3:39 PM ET

Excerpt from an interview with Lim:

H.G.L.: I was originally a boxer, but I've been a mixed martial artist for a long time now. At Korean Top Team, wrestling is the base of everything. So I'm absolutely comfortable on the ground. I've also won national BJJ tournaments, so I think my grappling is solid. We train hard at KTT and we spar a lot. There are international level wrestlers and Judokas that train with us as well, so I won't have any problems if the fight goes to the ground.

KZ has proclaimed him the "best all-around fighter at KTT". If you want a pretty good story search for his jiujitsu story with Rogan.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

03.02.2013 | 3:43 PM ET

Jet lag is gonna be the end of alot of these fighters, this will be no different

"3HUNNA"

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,668  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,583
  • Post Score: 60

03.02.2013 | 7:02 PM ET

대천해수욕장은 백사장 길이만 3.5km인 서해안 최대 해수욕장이다. 이 백사장은 조개껍데기가 오랜 세월 잘게 부서져 모래가 된 것으로, 부드러운 감촉이 뛰어나다. 해수욕장 주변으로는 솔숲이 펼쳐지고 조각공원까지 있어 운치를 더한다. 남쪽 해변의 무창포와 함께 둘러보면 좋다.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

03.02.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

거대한 도마뱀 음성 탁월한 한국어

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,012  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

03.02.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

@ Oddsbot would read again

@ curtwag don't change the subject

* Edited at 03.02.2013, 7:07 PM ET *

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor may be BKFC co-owner, but Mike Perry still wants that fight: ‘I am my own boss’
  • MMA Mania : Video: O’Malley Vs. Dvalishvili Booked?
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Shore's coach calls foul on shin cut stoppage at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let Fighters Fight!’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones reveals ‘I have a date’ for UFC return, verbal agreement in place
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 teaser video: Shadowy Conor McGregor paces during 'Foggy Dew'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch insane knockout punch leave fighter flat on the canvas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch: Conor McGregor’s return teased in spine-tingling promo ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC 301 with AC/DC x 3
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Jose Aldo nets $21k for potential final UFC fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg reacts to Alexandre Pantoja loss at UFC 301: ‘I just blew it’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Feel Bad For Buffer’
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301, The Morning After: Retirement Isn’t Real!
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 6-11
  • Jits Magazine : Michel Pereira Lands Crazy Backflip Pass Into Controversial Submission Win At UFC 301
  • Jits Magazine : Tony Ferguson Reveals That He Has Been Offered A Grappling Match With Charles Oliveira