Tapology Forums

What are your best fighting attributes?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

02.19.2013 | 7:03 PM ET

Even if you don't fight (like me) and even if you have trouble staying in shape (like me), what do you think would be your main advantages? If you do train, what are your current strengths?

Footwork - I have great footwork from many years at the clubs. 

Slippery-ness - I've always been real wiry and slippery. I wasn't very good when I wrestled in middle school but I was damn hard to pin. Limber is maybe the word.

TDD - I have very good balance and strong legs so I think I would sprawl well.

On the negative side, I have thin skin so I cut and bruise easily. I also tend to get disoriented easily and I really don't like pain. But I'm hard-headed, does that count?

"The boy's got no fight in him. I don't get it. He spends five hours a day playing violent video games -- what's the point if they don't have any effect on him?
-Hank Hill

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

Responses Page 2

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

02.19.2013 | 9:47 PM ET

Oops, i forgot to add TRT as well.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

02.19.2013 | 9:51 PM ET

the feet  will kick good 

"i like mma and the tapology"

MedWonk
MedWonk
  • Predictions:  583  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  114
  • Post Score: 171

02.19.2013 | 10:34 PM ET

I mainly do BJJ and Judo.  I only barely know how to box.  My footwork is only slightly better than someone having a seizure.  I apparently have crazy flexibility in my legs and good stamina.  I have a knack for sweeps/reversals and attacking from the guard.  I'm not terribly explosive nor especially strong and have a tendency to pace myself and play the long game.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now, you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato...baby, you got a stew goin'!"

bruce leroy glow
bruce leroy glow
  • Predictions:  1,296  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  234
  • Post Score: 72

02.19.2013 | 11:50 PM ET

my biggest Strength is bjj i have a good guard and like to lock up triangles and Armbars my striking is not great i did a lot of bjj and just did that but i started doing striking in bjj class and i was not great but my striking is geting much better. i dont have much wrestling i have never learnt but i got  bj penns book and im geting a few takedowns. i have tought my self judo throws and im geting better. in class i only learnt a few low kicks so i self tought and im geting better at kicks i am great at leg locks i did not learn any at bjj so i watched you tube videos. i am going to start boxing to get my hands better i am pretty flexibility

"He hit me with some ****** hadouken or some ****, that little ******. nick diaz

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.20.2013 | 12:14 AM ET

I'm not really "good" at anything because I haven't actively trained,.

Took a couple BJJ classes and my guard is pretty good for someone who doesn't train. I locked my friend in a triangle. He was a blue belt at the time, so it's not too impressive. 

Striking wise, I have long limbs, and I can use that to my advantage using the teep when striking

* Edited at 02.20.2013, 12:16 AM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.20.2013 | 12:38 AM ET

Speed, kicking power and I'm comfortable fighting from both stances. I also think my Karate-based striking style confuses a lot of other strikers.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,901  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

02.20.2013 | 1:09 AM ET

Mine would probably be my speed and athleticism.  Also I'm pretty strong from swimming, weightlifting and a few years of boxing and taekwondo.  My weaknesses would be I cut like paper, I gas fast, and your little sister could probably take me down.  Also I don't pack a lot of power in a punch.
HitmanDK
HitmanDK
  • Predictions:  889  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  146
  • Post Score: 132

02.20.2013 | 3:18 AM ET

Probably my underwhelming cardio and plodding footwork.

"They are welcome to boo me but they have to pay for the privilege."

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,993  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

02.20.2013 | 6:26 AM ET

Probably my leg kicks I play soccer ever since I was 7 years old. But I'm not a fighter at all, had my fair share of street fights when I was a little younger but never liked it one bit not even the adrenaline rush. If I had to break it down 1 is the lowest 10 the highest:

TDD: 1 (did some Judo a while ago)
Wrestling: 0
BJJ: 0
Standup: 2 (kicks and a little boxing but no defense whatsoever)
Chin: -1 (It's been tested and nope I don't have one)
Strength: 1 (maybe 1 or 2, I don't even lift bro)

Pretty pathetic tbh, feel like eating some ice cream right now... :P

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

HitmanDK
HitmanDK

02.20.2013 | 4:19 PM ET

After rolling today I found out I need to work with more big guys. I've rolled mainly with guys smaller than me (I'm 5'11, 165 pounds) and today I rolled with a guy that had about 30 pounds on me and it was completely different, his top control was just so different from the guys I'm more used to rolling/sparring with.

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

02.20.2013 | 4:23 PM ET

Striking -- Hand speed, head movement, and technique selection.

Grappling -- Sweeps and speed of movement.

I have a lot to improve on, but those are my strengths.  I need to clean up and tighten my submissions in grappling.  My striking needs work to shake out some bad habits, and work on getting inside more often.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

02.20.2013 | 4:50 PM ET

I don't ever plan on fighting but I am a brown belt in karate and do some nogi grappling. 

My standup strengths are definitely my kicks(15 years of soccer will help that) and my athleticism. I am faster than the vast majority of people I spar and rarely tire. 

On the ground I'm very flexible, I've got solid sweeps, am very resistant to chokes, and strong guillotines and arm triangles. 

Majoring in exercise science has its perks too, I know how to condition myself. 

I could use some work on my head movement and blocking.

* Edited at 02.20.2013, 4:51 PM ET *

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

02.20.2013 | 4:54 PM ET

I'm pretty good at drinkin' beer

"@AndySalasMMA"

Gebe
Gebe
  • Predictions:  2,174  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,292
  • Post Score: 198

02.20.2013 | 5:36 PM ET

I train boxing, kickboxing and freestyle wrestling. I don't say I practice MMA cause we don't really have a "MMA Gym" here yet, only buildups.

Pro's - I'm 6 feet tall with a 74.5 inch reach, or such say the measurements. I've got a good jab, straight left and speed. Got preety powerful kicks from both legs, and good flexibility. I'm not overly agressive, and I like to be technical as much as possible

My wrestling is ok'ish, and I'm starting to get my ground game work better too. Only started wrestling and submission training about a few months ago. 

Cons - I don't have the conditioning yet. I don't really eat healthy, probably cause I don't get fat whatever I eat.
I'm still an amateur, there is lot of work to be done everywhere.

Comparing to a pro,or even a more seasoned amateur you can say I maybe suck, so it's a matter of perspective =)

"Fighter by day, Lover by night"

StealingFire
StealingFire
  • Predictions:  171  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  921
  • Post Score: 155

02.20.2013 | 10:21 PM ET

@AnikM

Damn, I almost commented about my arms being long and I only have a 72" reach. You've got some Jon Jones **** going on. Anyway, I have a feeling my fight style would be almost identical to yours, except I also have a strong flinch response which would be even more painful to watch.

"Prepare for an eternity of me kicking your ass. -Hank Hill"

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

02.20.2013 | 11:08 PM ET

I'm 6'2 and have a 78" reach, too. Helped tremendously in basketball.

* Edited at 02.20.2013, 11:09 PM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

02.20.2013 | 11:15 PM ET

@StealingFire I do have Jon Jones **** going on actually, but it's not fun trust me. No matter how much I work out, the first 2 inches of my arm or so after the wrist will never get larger because it's just bone, it looks really weird.

But it's very useful but what's even more odd is that I'm not very tall at all. It makes up for my lack of athletic ability in some sports.
@amp112 It definitely helps in basketball, I'm short enough to be a guard but I always cover the big men in the paint 'cause of my arms. It also makes crossovers ridiculously easy.

"الله أكبرl"

Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

02.21.2013 | 8:26 AM ET

I'm great at everything lol. Matter of fact Jon Jones better look the **** out cause I'm coming. Jk my strengths are definitely my striking or standup. I really am good everywhere on the feet. Have good TDD. And bad at offensive JJ but good at defensive JJ. My cardio sucks as of now. But I am physically strong 

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

HitmanDK
HitmanDK

02.21.2013 | 2:33 PM ET

I haven't been training that long, have been doing muay thai for like 4-5 months and MMA for like 2 weeks.

Pros: 
- good size (5'11 and 165 pounds in shape)
- fast learner. I rarely make basic mistake like dropping my hands after punching etc. 
- variety. I try not to get predictable, so I practice doing a fairly large variety of moves to always keep my sparring partners guessing. 
- I can take a punch.

Cons:
- cardio. This is definitely the biggest flaw I have.
- I have a tendency to sometimes get too laid back in sparring. Instead of staying active I'll use my reach and footwork to keep distance and attack from the outside. This might be related to the whole cardio thing. 
- inexperience. 
- I generally have decent footwork and head movement but I sometimes forget it and stand still too much. 
- I tend to overthink things which never leads to anything good.

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

02.21.2013 | 2:49 PM ET

I'm not above throwing my own poop. 

j/k...I was a decent wrestler in high school, and I took a year of BJJ classes.  I had 4 stripes on my white belt...come at me bro!

* Edited at 02.21.2013, 2:50 PM ET *

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Jonathan Martinez Has Momentum
  • MMA Mania : Video! Canelo, Munguia Share Intense Final Face Off
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira responds to Jon Jones’ callout for ‘massive’ UFC heavyweight title bout
  • Middle Easy : UFC 303: Conor McGregor Boldly Claims He’d Beat Charles Oliveira, Michael Chandler In Same Night
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Gambling Preview: Will Steve Erceg upset Alexandre Pantoja in Rio?
  • UFC.com : UFC 301 Embedded | All Episodes
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg prediction, pick: Is an upset looming at UFC 301?
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Elves Brener battle through scary weight cut with Charles Oliveira for UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : Jon Jones Passes on Tom Aspinall, Eyes Historic Showdown with Alex Pereira
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in video at 5 p.m. ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Mungia weigh-in results: Canelo Alvarez on weight for title defense
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 Ceremonial Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : 'Honored' Alex Pereira loves Jon Jones fight pitch, but needs UFC green light for heavyweight shift
  • UFC.com : Ismael Bonfim Is Looking To Impress
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor warns Ryan Garcia to get his head right: ‘I’m going to smash it in with elbows if you don’t,’ Garcia responds
  • UFC.com : José Aldo: A Homecoming Fit For A King
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 5: Nightswimming deserves a quiet night with Karolina Kowalkiewicz
  • UFC.com : Iasmin Lucindo Is Ready To Start Building Her Own Legacy
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs Munguia Weigh Ins!