Topic: Chael Sonnen

Sonnen's suspension indefinite after todays hearing... retirement?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

05.18.2011 | 3:45 PM ET

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23647/chael-sonnen.mma

Chael had his hearing to today to determine his status with California (and most the rest of the US) Athletic commission. they decided not to give him (renew?) a license which basically means he wont be able to fight it most states now.
Now im not a huge Sonnen fan here, he can be a real **** sometimes, but im starting to think this Kizer guy is out to get him. Sure he got caught up with the feds for money laundering (stupid) but he got fined and is on probation. I dont understand how they can just refuse to give him a license ever again. Sonnen made a statement previously that if he wasnt awarded a license at this hearing he would retire. This is a huge blow to the middle weight division and sad if Sonnens career has to end on this note.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Chael Sonnen

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Chael Patrick Sonnen
  • Pro MMA Record: 30-17-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: N/A
  • Current Streak: 2 Losses
  • Last Fight: June 14, 2019 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 205.6 lbs
  • Affiliation: American Top Team Portland
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,091,250 USD
  • Born: Milwaukie, Oregon, United States
  • Fighting out of: West Linn, Oregon
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.18.2011 | 3:48 PM ET

all i can say is this sucks.......MW is extremely worse off because of this.....!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.18.2011 | 3:55 PM ET

This really hurts the MW division...No one else seems remotely capable of giving Anderson an a** whooping like Chael delivered

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Pharaoh Ramses
Pharaoh Ramses
  • Predictions:  299  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  38
  • Post Score: 66

05.18.2011 | 3:59 PM ET

it sucks but it says he lied to the athletic comission earlier on so that's probably the reason.

"O Plato o Plomo // Silver or Lead"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.18.2011 | 4:05 PM ET

It is horrible, not only for the Chael and the MW division, but the UFC imo.  I don't understand.. athletes have done worse things and come back to their sport.  An indefinate suspension is BS to me.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.18.2011 | 4:09 PM ET

@townstar it's got nothing to do with Keith Kizer.  Kizer is Nevada.  He testified today at the request of the California commission. It's California that made today's decision and kept the suspension in place, not Kizer.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.18.2011 | 4:16 PM ET

And commisions honor eachother's suspensions.. which is fine.  It is the type of suspension I am having trouble grasping.  Can anyone at all shed light on why it is indefinate?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

TownStar
TownStar

05.18.2011 | 4:20 PM ET

well since his money laundering debacle is behind him, i think its the "lying" or untruthfulness of his last hearing in Nevada, its why they brought in Kizer for this hearing.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

rowlison
rowlison
  • Predictions:  9,551  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  188
  • Post Score: 272

05.18.2011 | 4:24 PM ET

I just saw this on bloody elbow "Sonnen also told the commission that Dana White told him he might as well retire if he wasn't licensed today" , This sucks i am a fan of Sonnen and it sucks for putting on fights in the MW division.

"I refuse to tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.18.2011 | 4:27 PM ET

I don't feel bad for him at all. He made his own bed,now he has to sleep in it. Time to go back to school Chael. Your fighting and real estate licenses are gone.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406

05.18.2011 | 4:29 PM ET

Athletic Commissions are lame. It's clear they are just being ********s now. He served his time, paid the fines, and has probation. Not any reason at all to make it indefinite.

Dana, just shoot the show in Mexico or something where the commissions have no influence. ;-)

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

TownStar
TownStar

05.18.2011 | 4:37 PM ET

LOL @danotheman, im totally for a Mexico show, it would have to have a luchadore match to be legit though. I also agree with your assesment of the Athletic commission at least in regards to this case. I mean fines and suspensions are necessary, but to do it in this fashion after already serving his time last year, it just doesnt make sense. Maybe more of the story with come out, I really want to hear what Chael has to say about this.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.18.2011 | 4:40 PM ET

Chael will just blame everything on "some Mexican" as usual.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

Jalm
Jalm
  • Predictions:  1,064  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  203
  • Post Score: 155

05.18.2011 | 4:49 PM ET

I think what they're are doing is making an example of him , sucks for Chael though .

" I told ya so" !!

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.18.2011 | 5:41 PM ET

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.18.2011 | 6:20 PM ET

Fair play to Bisping god damn it Sonnen Vs Bisping on Tuf would of been epic i might actually of watched it haha.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

05.18.2011 | 6:22 PM ET

I'm glad he is gone. He blatantly cheated and deserves what was coming to him.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.19.2011 | 8:42 AM ET

a one year suspension is warranted but i think he deserves to fight again. i mean look at thiago silva. he failed twice now with his piss test and he i think got another 1 year suspension. i'm no sonnen fan either. just think he should get another chance. i think the sport of mma is better with a guy who can hype a fight and talk soo much smack. you think andy had some pull with the committee. :-}

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : IBJJF San Jose Spring Open 2024 Produces Entertaining Highlights
  • Jits Magazine : 20 BJJ Basics, Concepts And Philosophy You Must Know
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo finally stripped of WBC middleweight title, Adames elevated
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’