Tapology Forums

Dana White not allowing Randy Couture to corner Ryan, gave Ryan option to leave

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,885  |  54.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,624
  • Post Score: -69

02.03.2013 | 4:00 AM ET

Couture's deal with Spike ended up coming an inopportune time for his son Ryan, who was brought over from Strikeforce to the UFC recently when SF was closed down. According to Dana, he texted Ryan Couture earlier this week and said that if he wanted out of his contract to go to Bellator, Dana would be okay with that. Ryan said it was his dream to fight in the UFC though, and he wanted to stay. Dana says he responded with "this is your house and I'm honored you said that". He was happy that Ryan was staying and wants him to feel welcome, but he also said that his father won't be welcome to corner him, or even buy a ticket to shows.

So on what grounds can he do this? i mean legally, on what grounds?

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

Responses Page 4

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

02.03.2013 | 7:31 PM ET

got to be Gregory. his cooper river thingy has got to go. you change yours kallous. plus dana is only 43 years old. i thought he was older. he looks older. the odds are in gregory's favor.
OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,156  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,412
  • Post Score: 321

02.03.2013 | 7:32 PM ET

I'd bet my life savings that Wolfman loses.

* Edited at 02.03.2013, 7:32 PM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,701
  • Post Score: 173

02.03.2013 | 7:36 PM ET

Sorry Wolf, but i dont think Dana White goes anywhere anytime soon. By the time June 2014 comes. The UFC is gonna be deep all over the world. Fedor will return to MMA, and headline a UFC in Russia before they get rid of Dana

"3HUNNA"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

02.03.2013 | 7:42 PM ET

then Gregory should accept. seems like three on here say i have no chance. kinda like Bigfoot last night.
kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.03.2013 | 8:00 PM ET

Im in against Wolfman

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

02.03.2013 | 8:23 PM ET

i'll do it against kallous if he does that one pic he knows about that i wanted him to do. you can pick mine. 2 weeks. you can do it kallous. its july 1st which is exactly mid 2014. it would not be out of the question that viacom buys the ufc from the fertitta's either. they have much deeper pockets and they must think they can achieve something b/c they are fighting fiercely over eddie alverez. that would be a feather in the hat of Viacom and myself. + _ + Bjorn Rebney is Da Man to move MMA more into the mainstream. a level headed guy. not some shoot from the hip, i would not even sell a ticket to randy couture kinda guy.

* Edited at 02.03.2013, 8:28 PM ET *

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,573
  • Post Score: 275

02.03.2013 | 8:43 PM ET

It can be a one-way bet. I don't care.  If Dana is still in his job I don't need wolfman to change his avatar.

If Dana is no longer in his job, I'll change my avatar for 3 months.

Doesn't count if it's for medical reasons like he can't do it because of his ear.

He's not losing his job! It's obvious!!

"I live, I die, I live again."

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

02.03.2013 | 11:17 PM ET

It's not shocking, Dana is the best guy to work for in the world if you play by his rules, if he feels like you've crossed him it's scorched Earth.

Look at Hughes and Liddell, they have jobs for life.  Couture and Ortiz(to a much lesser extent, granted) are persona non grata.

I wish Dana would grow up a bit, it's just business for ****s sake.  Why begrudge Couture for making some money for himself?  It's demeaning to the UFC for him to drag Couture's name through the mud.  It's unnecessary and uncalled for.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Angrymanmma
Angrymanmma
  • Predictions:  682  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 39

02.04.2013 | 3:08 PM ET

@ traeblack, you too have the nanny nanny boo boo attitude. If you ever played a sport I'm sure having family there was important. If you have not played you must believe keeping or trying to separate family for any reason is never a positive. Dana white is being a brat, even if Randy is being a brat too. As the president and face of the UFC he should have more class.

"Old Guys Rule!"

Angrymanmma
Angrymanmma
  • Predictions:  682  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 39

02.04.2013 | 3:09 PM ET

@jody, well said.

"Old Guys Rule!"

JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,885  |  54.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,624
  • Post Score: -69

02.09.2013 | 8:22 AM ET

Chiappetta:"The biggest problem I had with it was him basically banning Randy from cornering his son at fights. I mean, I don't even know if he has the power to do that to be honest with you. I mean, I spoke to Keith Kizer about that the other day and he said, 'cornermen are up to fighters - as long as they're licensed by the commission, they're allowed to choose who they want' ... I don't think he should put him in that position; I don't think it's fair. When you train as a fighter you want to go to war with the guys that were with you the entire camp ... I think that's a big negative for him to not have his father in his corner if that's what he wants and I don't think it was fair of Dana to put him in that position."

http://mmaliveshere.com/2013/02/08/chiappetta-not-sure-white-can-stop-couture-cornering-his-son/

CthulhuJones

where you at?

amp112

Where you at?

Keeping running your mouth about me. Both of you should eat it.

* Edited at 02.09.2013, 8:23 AM ET *

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.09.2013 | 9:35 AM ET

Of course Randy can corner Ryan if it was up to the AC's but as soon as he walks into a stadium the UFC has the right to throw out whoever they want as long as its not discrimination . Now is it discrimination to throw someone out based on relation maybe .  But  UFC will throw him out because he is a competitor not because he is Ryans son . So unless Randy wants to waste his retirement money fighting the UFC for a shot to coach his son you wont be seeing him in his corner anytime soon.

Now something interesting is with his fight in Sweden . If the laws are different there maybe they can't throw him out .

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

02.09.2013 | 9:39 AM ET

even if they could not throw him out, you think that it a good career move by Ryan to have his dad corner him? I honestly don't think Randy would corner his son, even if legally there was no way the UFC could stop him. Reason for this is because I believe Randy to smart to jepordize his sons career like that.

"here I come to save the day"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

02.09.2013 | 9:55 AM ET

Like Dana said about Bellator, "This will turn ugly."

Sounds like a lawsuit in the making.  Maybe the courts will have to settle it, if both parties decide to put it to the test.  If the UFC bars him, and Randy sues them, it will end up before some judge.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

02.09.2013 | 10:43 AM ET

I highly doubt Randy will sue them that pretty much garrentee's his son getting cut and shattering his dreams.

* Edited at 02.09.2013, 10:43 AM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.09.2013 | 11:45 AM ET

Well, I can hardly imagine the UFC actually going to the stupid length of trying to bar him from an event.
But crazy things happen sometimes.

Just saying what might happen, not what is likely to.  As far as I know, the UFC might lack the legal ability to stop him from cornering Ryan.  That might be up to the sanctioning committee.  

I guess we'll all find out if Randy ever tries to corner Ryan.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

02.09.2013 | 1:23 PM ET

I dont think he will. Does not really matter if legally they can't stop him, he not gunna try. I bet money that he won't try to. Randy was never one for good win streaks. His son fights just like him but at a much more athletic weight class. His son is going to lose a lot and will win as well. Randy aint no dummy, he knows that if he pushes this issue with the UFC even if they can't legally stop him, they can legally fire his son after a lose, which will happen. So we aint about to see randy attempting to corner his son with out UFC approval and i say thats one of the safest bets you could make.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.09.2013 | 1:58 PM ET

However which way this plays out, Dana White is going to come out looking bad.  I saw his interview and his reasons did not impress me.  He came off looking petty, small-minded, vindictive and shallow.

And that is after I saw it.  Many fans will not see it and hear stuff and Dana will look like the one playing the fool.

You might be right about Randy.  He might be too mature to push the issue, especially if they might cut his son.  However I look at it, Dana White looks a lot worse to me than Randy Couture.  

A man should be able to work for your competitors without having to apologize.  It's just business.  As Dana likes to say.  The UFC never apologizes for their business decisions, so why should their former independent contractors.  Randy was working for them as a part-time TV commentator, but so what?

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

02.09.2013 | 1:59 PM ET

Is White going to bar Greg Jackson from cornering Jon Jones or GSP?  I doubt it.  What if Jones told them to go to hell?

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

02.09.2013 | 2:21 PM ET

Greg Jackson isnt an employee of the UFC . Greg Jackson wasnt doing Commentary for FOX . Greg Jackson didnt tell Dana that he wasnt going to sign a contract with Bellator then do it anyway.

Dana could give a **** that Greg joined Bellator cause Greg didnt stab him in the back , a second time.

* Edited at 02.09.2013, 2:24 PM ET *

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : IBF orders Cacace to face mandatory challenger Nunez
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Want To Fight With Pantoja!’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Paige VanZant, Elle Brooke face off at MF & DAZN: X Series 15 press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he filed lawsuit against Ryan Garcia over Prime Hydration
  • Middle Easy : Henry Cejudo Expects ‘Long Haul’ Before UFC Title Fight, Why That Starts With Rob Font
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Askren convinced Conor McGregor is jealous of Khabib Nurmagomedov: 'No money can make up for that'
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Horiguchi And Pettis
  • MMAFighting.com : Oleksandr Usyk set to portray PRIDE legend alongside ‘The Rock’ in Mark Kerr biopic
  • Middle Easy : Former Champ Jamahal Hill Draws New Opponent In UFC 303 Co-Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Video reaction: What does Gegard Mousasi's Bellator release say about state of PFL merger?
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Expect something serious’: Haneys react to Ryan Garcia’s positive B-sample results
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney reacts to Ryan Garcia positive B-sample drug test, takes aim at Oscar De La Hoya
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall: Curtis Blaydes rematch at UFC 304 is a 'lose-lose' because he's 'not that popular'
  • MMA Mania : Mousasi Released From PFL Amid Contract Dispute
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape ready to shut down Muhammad Mokaev at UFC 304: 'Everything I do is a masterclass'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier shoots down fourth Conor McGregor fight: ‘I don’t need that [bad] energy’
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF World Championship 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Mania : Live! Brooke Vs VanZant Press Conference Video!
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi released from PFL-Bellator after threatening legal action
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Gegard Mousasi through the years