Tapology Forums

Do you think fedor would have the same legendary status if he came to the UFC and lost

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

05.05.2011 | 4:24 PM ET

What if he came to the UFC and lost to everyone like Cro Cop and Wand did?  Cro Cop was my favorite fighter of all time and watching him beat beat by everyone has made me not even like him, do you think it would be the same if Fedor came to the ufc and had to fight guys like Brock, Cain, JDS, or Shane Carwin

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.05.2011 | 4:27 PM ET

Yes I think Fedor's legacy would have taken a huge hit had he come to the UFC at that time. Although, the HW division was not as strong at the top as it is now. I'm not saying the UFC HW division is strong, because I think it's the weakest of its seven divisions right now, but the top four guys (Cain, Junior, Brock, and Carwin) would handle Fedor IMO. He's just too small for modern HWs. He may have done much better if he came over when Cro Cop did.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.05.2011 | 4:43 PM ET

I agree with @Skelliher.  I'm still waiting for him to drop to LHW and hope that the 220lbs fight w/ Hendo is the start of that.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

skeet2b
skeet2b

05.05.2011 | 4:47 PM ET

I agree a move to LHW would be a good move for him especially with guys like overeem

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.05.2011 | 4:48 PM ET

Mir would also beat him along with the other top 5 .. I think top 10 in the ufc would to be honest.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.05.2011 | 4:52 PM ET

I will watch Cro Cop win or lose because he is a legend to this sport. The fighters in Pride were completely different than the animals in the UFC. Mirko should have dropped a weight class but have stated in the past that he likes the challenge. He still came to fight and is still a proud man. I have lost no respect for Mirko because he has showed he has balls to come over and test his skills in the Octagon. You can't say the same for Fedor. If he came to the UFC yes he would have lost his legendary status but only to the casual fan. You don't need to win fights all the time to be recognized in this sport. It's the ones with heart and what they've accomplished in the past that is what molds them into legends. 
Fedor and Mirko will always be remembered but Fedor will just have a big question mark over his career. Because he hasn't tested himself with other competition which is his burden. Not us fans. It's his choice and at least him and Mirko have been in wars in the past and are still competing .I'm glad to have grown up seeing these guys fight and won't judge how they fall. It's what they've shown that makes them so great imo.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.05.2011 | 4:58 PM ET

Wow i havent ever agreed with anything more haha.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.05.2011 | 5:40 PM ET

Bump! Curious to see everyone else's input on this subject.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

skeet2b
skeet2b

05.05.2011 | 5:52 PM ET

i will always remember cro cop for who he was but i havent wanted to watch his last couple fights knowing he would probably lose

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.05.2011 | 6:00 PM ET

@Skeet. I enjoy knowing I can watch him for the last few fights he has till he gets closer and closer to retirement. His last fight he threw a lot of kicks but he just gets knocked out a heck of a lot easier than he use to. It's sad to see him laid flat on the canvas but he's a true warrior and I'll watch him until he retires. 
We can all hope for his left kick cemetary!

skeet2b
skeet2b

05.05.2011 | 6:08 PM ET

yea i keep hoping for the LHK butb all i keep getting is watchingbhim get KOed

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.05.2011 | 6:11 PM ET

The only time I've felt really sad from someone getting KO'd is Mirko and Randy. I hate seeing their faces when they look up from a knockout loss. Matt Hughes as well only because he's my favorite fighter.
I think the one memorable knockout I remember being vicious is when Jason Lambert faced Rashad and he was getting pummeled from full mount and was looking at the camera. You could see his eyes rolling back. It was unfortunate to watch sometimes. I know they are professionals but Mirko and Randy are memorable icons to a vast majority of the mma community. It's sad to see them and other fighters getting knocked out sometimes as well.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,566
  • Post Score: 275

05.05.2011 | 6:14 PM ET

Thing is, you could play the same game in reverse.  Take Chuck Liddell, light heavyweight legend, and imagine he went and had been fighting in Pride the whole time from 2004-2006 when he went on his reign of terror in the UFC.

He was knocking out Tito, Vernon White, Randy, Jeremy Horn, Babalu... all good fighters, but not all the stiffest challenges. 

What if instead he was fighting Rampage, Arona, Shogun, Prime Little Nog, Hendo.   And maybe he won some and lost some.  There wouldn't have been any long championship reign and he would just be another of the very good light heavyweights.

I'm not sure where the what-if game stops.

"I live, I die, I live again."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.05.2011 | 6:21 PM ET

@Gregory. I forget to look at it from all angles. That's why I keep an open mind with Mirkos performances and Fedors. They should be in different weight classes and were still successful. They're also still competing which is crazy from the battles they've had. This sport hasn't really evolved but the fighters that train MMA are training at a young age. So young and hungry animals are crossing over and jumping into this and making legends look washed up. Like JBJ beating Shogun. I know it could be said about Shogun having so many surgeries and Jones is a talented gifted fighter. But you get the idea.
It's all about circumstances and who fighters have fought in their time and take it for what it's worth. The what if's can be thought out all day and that's what makes you appreciate the fighters and what they've accomplished like I've said. 
Very solid point though Gregory.

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.05.2011 | 6:43 PM ET

It's easy to think no. Seeing the once touted "invincible" fighter as being beaten by the likes of Brock, Cain, JDS, or Shane Carwin (this is on the assumption he did lose those fights) or anyone in the LHW diversion would make him "overrated" and "not all that" in the eyes of many UFC fans, some who still haven't watched any of his earlier fights.

But if Fedor was to be considered not a legend, that is due to ignorance. While some may say his competiton has been medicore overall, there is no taking away that he went on a 28 fight win streak (excluding the 1 no contest with Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira) that included beating the likes of Renato Sobral, Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, Heath Herring, Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mark Coleman, Mirko Filipović, who were at one time or another serious competition. His nine year Reign as #1 Heavyweight and P4P king (though both became disputable near the time he would go on to suffer his first serious loss) is something that is not likely to be recreated in a long time.

It's like Mike Tyson. The man is now known for being crazy and f***ed up, a has-been and nearer the end of his boxing career had seen better days. But those "better days" are still remembered as an era where Tyson was invincible as he tore through the heavyweight diversion. Many Americans are still waiting for the next Mike Tyson to appear, to take back the Heavyweight diversion back to the glory days when American boxers were king.

But I digress The point is Fedor will still be remembered as a legend for all his feats that he's acheived. In fact his future losses (if that happens) will be more painful because of that.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

BodyModifier
BodyModifier

05.05.2011 | 6:52 PM ET

@mystical ninja. Good post. The one thing people don't take into consideration and are ignorant when looking at Fedors resume. Is that these fighters he faced at the time were the best competition for him. The new ignorant fans that come along and side with other people that call his resume mediocre don't look at it as. These fighters he fought were the best of the best at the time....Times have changed and now they want him to cross over to UFC to see how he does against these HUGE giants that are getting limelight. Yet they are on a completely different level. He is over weighed and has been through friggin so many battles. I'm surprised he can actually speak after the Randleman fight. 

Jalm
Jalm
  • Predictions:  1,064  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  203
  • Post Score: 155

05.05.2011 | 7:07 PM ET

I think Fedor would fade into the mix if he were to fight in the UFC , In my opinion he doesnt really bring anything special to the table that these fighters have not already seen.

" I told ya so" !!

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.05.2011 | 7:49 PM ET

In his prime, Fedor would have done very well against the UFC's top 4 guys. Obviously, he isn't there anymore and there's no doubt he'd lose to them now, but I think if he were in the UFC, he'd be beating guys like Mir, Nelson, Struve, etc. 

I think the worst thing for Fedor's legacy is M-1 global.

"We Are All One"

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.05.2011 | 7:53 PM ET

I think Fedor would still be top 10 in the UFC. If he went to the UFC in his prime a few years ago, there isn't a single person that I think would stand a solid chance

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

gspisoverrated
gspisoverrated
  • Predictions:  331  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 29

05.06.2011 | 12:10 AM ET

Do I think he'll be top 5? probably not
do i think it hurts his legendary status? **** no, he's Fedor.
Crocop, Nog, Wand, etc. all did less than mediocre is their UFC careers. But its there legendary fights in pride that made them so popular. Fedor's reign of terror may be over, but that doesn't mean at one point he wasn't the best.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. "

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.06.2011 | 2:17 AM ET

the pride special on fedor about sums him up for me. made legend during his own time thats impressive on its own.  But if he had of walked away before the triangle loss he would have been even more of a legend, because he wouldnt have lost to anyone.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Oumar Sy Is In The Right Place At The Right Time
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Rabbit is good animal’: Oleksandr Usyk unaffected by taunts of Tyson Fury
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Open To Conor McGregor Fight Before Arman Tsarukyan: ‘Everyone Can Finish Conor’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says Ciryl Gane turned down fight for UFC 304, reacts to Curtis Blaydes booking
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Almost Died!’ Surging Silva Became Fighter By Accident
  • MMAFighting.com : Patchy Mix: ‘I would finish Sean O’Malley without a damn doubt,’ expects Merab Dvalishvili to do the same
  • UFC.com : Carlston Harris: ‘It’s Going To Be A War’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev certainly open to fight Conor McGregor after UFC 302: 'People have to be stupid to say no'
  • MMAFighting.com : Themba Gorimbo promises spectacular win at UFC Vegas 92 in honor of coach’s late mother
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Let’s make history’: Usyk primed for undisputed showdown with Fury
  • UFC.com : Don’t Sleep On Khaos Williams
  • MMAFighting.com : Lennox Lewis ‘concerned’ Tyson Fury overreacted by losing too much weight: ‘His legs are skinny’
  • MMA Mania : Meet UFC’s Game-Playing Holder Upper
  • MMA Junkie : Waldo Cortes-Acosta calls out Jairzinho Rozenstruik: 'He can challenge me to become a better striker'
  • Bad Left Hook : Fury vs Usyk odds have Tyson as narrow favorite in undisputed clash
  • Middle Easy : UFC 304 Main Card Revealed With Two Title Fights, Tom Aspinall Reacts To Interim Title Defense
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy questions Cedric Doumbe’s focus after bizarre splinter loss
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Tyson Fury refuses to look at Oleksandr Usyk during contentious faceoff
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Themba Gorimbo breaks down in tears after coach's mother dies: 'I'm going to win for him'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Hammer’ Time! Marshman Signs With BYB Extreme