Tapology Forums

GSP wants the Silva fight and is willing to take it. When is the only question.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

12.05.2012 | 4:48 PM ET

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/the_main_event/ufc_terms_pierre_wants_silva_fight_lOmvhL8ucj7zfQEGgcyg0N?utm_campaign=OutbrainA&utm_source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsource#axzz2EDQfCUbg

I think that Dana finally got behind this fight for several reasons.  

1. Anderson Silva finally came around to seeing it as a big money fight and one he could win and thereby burnish his legacy.

2. 2012 was a wretched year for the UFC, mainly due to injuries messing up cards.

3. The health insurance policy is probably bleeding the UFC white.  Much more so than they had any idea of when they first issued it.

4. The UFC is desperately searching for a big event to bring in a much-needed infusion of revenue.

What says the house on GSP's wanting the fight, albeit on his terms?

* Edited at 12.05.2012, 5:28 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Responses

SonnensSyringe
SonnensSyringe
  • Predictions:  79,138  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,881
  • Post Score: 337

12.05.2012 | 4:51 PM ET

"What says the house on GSP's wanting the fight, albeit on his terms?"

There's the rub. HIS terms. Under those conditions, I doubt we'll see the fight within the next calender year. He still wants Diaz and he pretty much has to fight Hendricks before that can even happen.

* Edited at 12.05.2012, 4:54 PM ET *

"You look like a 1987 John Hughes high school bully." - Swickotine

Dela Riva
Dela Riva
  • Predictions:  660  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  405
  • Post Score: 130

12.05.2012 | 4:53 PM ET

I dont want to see it, as a lot of people would agree Silva and Jones to be the more fair matchup.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

12.05.2012 | 4:56 PM ET

I'm not really interested in the GSP/Silva fight either, I would rather see GSP continue to fight at his weight and I would much rather see Silva/Jones. Of course if they do book it I will be there shelling out $45 to watch it anyway!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

12.05.2012 | 5:30 PM ET

Sounds kind of like Royler "wanting" a BJJ rematch with Eddie Bravo. Or Fedor wanting in the UFC, esp. against Lesnar. He put so many provisions in the way that it wasn't worth it. At this point no one can question his heart and will, but if Serra can knock him out on the feet and Condit can kick him and kock him down his confidence for surviving Silva's accuracy and power HAS to be low. Silva VS Jones is far more interesting anyway.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.05.2012 | 5:36 PM ET

Here, here.  Gentlemen.  To give the Silva / Jones fight as your reason not to support the GSP / Silva fight is illogical. 

Sure, it would be more fair and interesting, but so what?  That fight will be even harder for the UFC to make than this fight has been.  Silva has shown even less interest in Jones than he has in GSP.  

But why choose?  Why not support both fights?  There's no need to be so conservative in your approach.  

WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

12.05.2012 | 5:44 PM ET

GSP and Zahabi made it pretty clear GSP doesn't want the fight. I expect the future news on this to be redundant like it has for the past 3 years.

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

what does "on his terms" mean?

In Montreal, at 170, greased up, Anderson with a hand strapped to his back with no belt on the line?

no thanks, gimme Jones-Andy  @ 205 for the title.

"@AndySalasMMA"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

Reason #1: I find GSP to be a great product, but a largely boring fighter. The Gracie brothers helped me appreciate a bit of his grappling genius, but I have no interest in seeing him try to hold Silva down. Nor do I have any interest in seeing a man that fights at 205 knock out a WW, even if that WW cuts a lot of weight and tends to beat up on smaller guys.

Reason#2: Given Silva's timetable before retiring choosing which superfight we'd like to see is HIGLY logical because if he does one, he probably will not do the other.

fungi
fungi
  • Predictions:  2,267  |  54.8%
  • Forum Posts:  110
  • Post Score: 444

12.05.2012 | 5:52 PM ET

I don't believe in it anymore. I stopped dreaming. Sad face...

"zero sum game. some lose, some gain."

ispitzhotfire
ispitzhotfire
  • Predictions:  112  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: 146

12.05.2012 | 6:32 PM ET

Here is a little snippet on the subject.  Supposedly something GSP is talking about.

http://vendettafighter.com/news/rumor-georges-st-pierre-wants-50-million-to-fight-anderson-silva/

"Some ************'s always trying to iceskate uphill. "

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.05.2012 | 7:18 PM ET

I wish I was 18, Bovoda or Bodog or whatever the **** they call themselves had a line where it was +185 for the fight not to happen in 2013. I would've jumped on that because GSP will duck Anderson Silva forever...and ever...and ever,,,

"الله أكبرl"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

12.05.2012 | 7:31 PM ET

I'm getting pretty sick of hearing more supposed "news" about this fight just to see that its the same old same old. Georges won't take the fight, but he won't just come out and say "no" either. Not cool.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

12.05.2012 | 8:33 PM ET

Honestly if either super fight i going to happen it will be Anderson vs Jones.  I think Anderson is far far more likely to take Jones then GSP is to take Anderson.  

"here I come to save the day"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.05.2012 | 9:00 PM ET

@Franklin  Not according to the fighters.  Both GSP and Silva have expressed a desire to fight each other.  

Neither Jones nor Silva has expressed any such desire to fight each other.

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

12.05.2012 | 9:02 PM ET

I read something today about GSP focusing on the WW title because Silva seemed disinterested or something.
amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

12.05.2012 | 9:04 PM ET

Whoops. Other way around. Silva is moving on because GSP isn't showing interest. 

http://www.bjpenn.com/silva-camp-ready-to-move-on-gsp-showing-no-interest-in-super-fight-ufc-news/

There's another article on BJPenn.com saying GSP is concentrating on Hendricks
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

12.05.2012 | 9:10 PM ET

How disappointing.  GSP is losing a lot of respect in my eyes.  And I'm his biggest fanboy.  Always have been.  Just goes to show you should not put your idols on too high a pedestal.  They always fall off.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

12.05.2012 | 9:14 PM ET

GSP is pain in my *******s.

"الله أكبرl"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

12.05.2012 | 9:31 PM ET

@bill you're joking right? First off all this garbage being posted all over the internet is coming from websites and people trying to make a headline and get attention. The only way I would believe that GSP would not fight Silva is if he says it himself. GSP has always fought anyone that has been put in front of him. Let's just say he chooses not to fight Silva a guy who in reality is 2 weight classes above him, you're going to lose respect for him because of that?

What's funny to me is that if the tables were turned and GSP was the lightheavyweight and Silva was the welterweight and GSP was wanting to fight Silva all the posts all over Tapology would be about how GSP is a ***** and he's just picking on a much smaller guy to beat up. The double standard is amazing to me on these forums when it comes to these 2 guys.

Let's not forget when everyone's hero Anderson gets asked about fighting a guy in Jon Jones who is not 2 weight classes below him he is very quick to say "no no that fight no happen, I don't want that." I'm by no means saying that Anderson is afraid of Jones because I don't believe he is. You don't get to the level that a Silva or a GSP get to with being scared of anyone. I just think it's the biggest load of horse **** when words like "ducking" and "scared" come up when talking about elite athletes that have fought through huge adversity and overcome it to win.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,204  |  71.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

12.05.2012 | 9:51 PM ET

@P4P

Listen to his last pre fight interviews, GSP says over and over again that he is scared. Scared of Condit, scared to lose the title, scared of what might happen.

Even Nick Diaz said in the past (think it was a half hour interview with Ariel) that he is scared going in the cage everytime, those guys are all human beings.

It's understandable he doesn't want to fight Anderson, put his legacy on the line in a fight which would determine who is the greatest fighter in MMA history, probably. IF he choses not to take the fight, he never will be considerd the greatest, that's the price he pays.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Accuses Conor McGregor of PED Use Ahead of UFC 303 Return: ‘He’s Out of His Mind’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Eagle is landed': Khabib Nurmagomedov returns to corner Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘Diamond’s’ Kryptonite? Khabib Confirmed Back At UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria on how Sean O'Malley fight would go: 'I can do with him whatever I want'
  • MMAFighting.com : Khabib Nurmagomedov will serve as cornerman for Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • UFC.com : This Week On UFC FIGHT PASS | May 27, 2024 - June 2, 2024
  • MMA Mania : ‘Everything Fell Apart’ For Volkanovski
  • MMAFighting.com : Talita Bernardo vs. Olga Rubin title fight headlines Invicta FC’s return in June
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 pre-event facts: Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier battle for history – and lightweight title
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 Embedded, episode 2: ‘It’s going to come down to does Paulo figure me out first, or do I figure him out first?’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL announces former Bellator champion Douglas Lima re-signed to new contract
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo cautions Paulo Costa against striking-only approach to Sean Strickland at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Former champ Douglas Lima inks new multi-year agreement with PFL-Bellator
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Demetrious Johnson Argues Why Boxing’s ‘More Exciting’ Than MMA ‘Right Now’
  • Bad Left Hook : Crawford named ‘champion in recess’ by WBC
  • Bad Left Hook : Terence Crawford named ‘champion in recess’ by WBC
  • UFC.com : Understanding UFC Weight Classes
  • Middle Easy : Matt Brown Advises Ronda Rousey To Restore UFC Image: ‘And The World Is Yours Again’
  • MMA Mania : Topps Hits Bottom With Goofy ‘Pack Fight’
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland 'ready to die' vs. Paulo Costa at UFC 302: 'It's going to be a bloodbath'