Tapology Forums

ufc lightweight number 1 contender..

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

04.11.2011 | 1:55 PM ET

melendez...pettis....jim miller....thats a tough list to sort....and even tho he's not here yet, watch out for guillard in future...i say give miller the edgar-maynard loser and pettis fights melendez...winners fight and numero uno is determined....anyone ive left out or this good?

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Responses

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

04.11.2011 | 1:57 PM ET

Maybe you should make a top ten lightweights forum.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

04.11.2011 | 2:00 PM ET

I would say that Melendez is already in position for a title shot, being that he's a champ with Strikeforce.  It only makes sense, if they're going to bring him over, to have the two champs fight to determine who is really the champion. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

04.11.2011 | 2:06 PM ET

I don't think they'll match Jim Miller against the loser of Edgar/Maynard.  Because then it limits their options.

Let's say Maynard loses to Edgar, and then fights Jim Miller.  If Jim Miller beats Maynard that's great, now he can fight for the title.  But if Jim Miller loses to Maynard it's a problem. They can't give Maynard another title shot, and now they've removed a potential contender in Miller.

It's the same thing at welterweight. UFC needs fresh contenders like Jake Shields and Carlos Condit, so they make sure to avoid matching them up against Fitch, Alves, Koscheck. Otherwise nobody new would ever earn a title shot.

As for Pettis, he's scheduled to fight Guida in June. Supposedly the winner of that fight will fight for the title next, but maybe that changes.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

04.11.2011 | 2:11 PM ET

excluding melendez, who i don't think they will allow to cross over, i'd put the following guys in the mix: miller, pettis, guillard as frontrunners, followed by sherk, guida, siver and cerrone all being one to two big wins away. pettis and guida fight on june 4 so that could be crucial.

also, fyi fellas, there are forums for every ranking including top ten lightweights. http://www.tapology.com/forum/rankings/current-top-ten-lightweight-mma-fighters-155-pounds

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

04.11.2011 | 2:13 PM ET

haha...thats jeremy giving me the 'polite' ***** slap..haha

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

04.11.2011 | 2:17 PM ET

haha not at all jersey, i was responding @beast's post cause i thought he was asking.  either way it's all good.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

04.11.2011 | 2:19 PM ET

I think Miller is overrated. People have this idea in their heads that just because he lost to arguably the top two lightweight's in the world.He has the talent to become a champion but he isn't fighting top competition like he should be.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

thabestevah
thabestevah
  • Predictions:  199  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 27

04.11.2011 | 2:25 PM ET

If Pettis beats Guida go ahead and give him the unification fight he was promised. If Guida wins then stop with the BS and bring Gil over and let him take his belt from Maynard/Edgar... If Pettis wins then after after his shot get Gil in there, it's just plain stupid not to do that. Gilbert is the best LW on the planet and I am debating moving him into my no.1 ranking because the more I look at their records I think Gil may even have the better resume than Maynard or Edgar. He is more experienced than both of those guys, while still being younger, and a better striker than both. They own both companies and to not give the guy who obviously deserves the shot a shot when you own his contract is just plain stupid. 

"It's not about whether you win or lose... Well, unless your the guy who lost."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

04.11.2011 | 2:29 PM ET

I say let Guillard fight agains Gilbert. Really there is no top guy in the LW division until Aldo comes up and starts destroying people.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.11.2011 | 3:22 PM ET

The LW division has enough contenders to keep the champion busy for a long time. After Maynard, the winner of Pettis vs Guida will likely get a shot definitely if Pettis wins. Beyond that Miller is right in the mix or whoever beats Miller and then Guillard is coming right on the cusp. By mid 2012 there will be more fighters ready to contend.  

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

04.11.2011 | 4:02 PM ET

Its clear that the lightweight division has become the primer division in the UFC in the last year or so. Nothing but killers in the top 10. The good news, all top contenders are fairly young including melendez. Which leaves this year to get the edgar/maynard draw debacle cleared up and to also solidify a top contender, most likely the pettis/guida winner. I think melendez stays put in the Force for the rest of this year, most likely defending against Thompson or Noons, though both are coming off losses...? Jim miller is let out again to fight whoever else is left, possibly Guillard who i think still has another fight before he gets Jim or another top 5 challenger.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ronda Rousey Agrees To Write Script For Netflix Film Based On Her Memoirs
  • Middle Easy : Alex Pereira Responds To Jon Jones’ Callout, Says Bout With ‘Bones’ Will Be ‘Biggest Fight Of His Career’
  • MMA Junkie : Stephen A. Smith 'disgusted' by Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson being sanctioned as a professional boxing bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Jonathan Martinez already beat two of his UFC heroes, Jose Aldo is next: ‘He had his chance’
  • MMA Mania : Cha-Ching! Canelo Expected To Earn Massive Cinco De Mayo Payday
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301: Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg live stream watch party at 9:45 p.m. ET
  • Bad Left Hook : Nishida beats Rodriguez for IBF bantamweight title
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Randy Couture Talks Kayla Harrison’s UFC Debut, Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul Prediction And Best KO’s Of All Time
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 predictions: Three unanimous picks in Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira expects Jiri Prochazka rematch next, Magomed Ankalaev ‘going to have to wait’
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs. Munguia Start Time, Full Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : Caio Borralho vs. Paul Craig prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301: Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg live stream watch party
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Junkie : Michel Pereira vs. Ihor Potieria prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Paths to Victory: How Steve Erceg can upset Alexandre Pantoja
  • MMA Junkie : Vitor Petrino vs. Anthony Smith prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : Video! Paul Grills Garcia Over Controversial Drug Test