Tapology Forums

Tonight Last Stand of Japanese MMA?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.09.2011 | 5:37 PM ET

The forum topic is definitely a little overly dramatic, but if Aoki and Kawajiri fail to impress, what say you all about the future of not only Japanese MMA, but Japanese fighters in Zuffa? Who else is there besides Okami? Akiyama certainly hasn't been doing well. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Responses

runrunshaw
runrunshaw
  • Predictions:  4,819  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  186
  • Post Score: 138

04.09.2011 | 6:06 PM ET

Japanese fighters seem to get screwed over a lot, i'm sure Zuffa sees that. Aoki will look great tonight IMO.

"R18"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

04.09.2011 | 6:13 PM ET

Only others I can think of in the UFC Norifumi Yamamoto Takeya Mizugaki Michihiro Omigama Takanori Gomi

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

04.09.2011 | 6:25 PM ET

The guys cashbrewyn listed likely eill never make another run at a title.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,574
  • Post Score: 275

04.09.2011 | 6:35 PM ET

@runrunshaw what do you mean get screwed over a lot?  With judging, or with the matchups they get put into?

It just seems like the Japanese MMA culture has been way too slow to evolve with the sport.

Seemingly no recognition of the proper way to build fighters and get them the right experience and as they get their careers started. Top prospects like Ishii are thrown to the wolves and have their confidence and marketability destroyed, when similar fighters in the U.S. are slowly picking up regional wins and learning to fight (see: Daniel Cormier).

Lack of weight cutting puts them at a disadvantage. Akiyama should have been at welterweight years ago. Kid Yamamoto should probably be a flyweight.  Omigawa waited way too long to get to featherweight.

And more of these guys need to have modern training experiences.  The sport is now predominantly fought in a cage. If a fighter wants to be successful, he/she needs to train in a cage, and train with world-class teams. The guys that come to the U.S. and train with elite gyms, like Okami, seem to do just fine.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Samson
Samson
  • Predictions:  1,142  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  210
  • Post Score: 187

04.09.2011 | 6:45 PM ET

@Gregory. Right on. Also watching them in Japan they seem explosive and exciting. Get them in the cage and they struggle with American Wrestling. I used to tell my friends who watch MMA from time to time. "You guys have to see this guy, he's awesome." It seems like every single time they let me down and I look like an idiot. 

"In 96' Royce Gracie made me tap...one of many."

Gregory
Gregory

04.09.2011 | 6:51 PM ET

Yup I've been burned a few times on my picks for Japanese fighters coming over for the first time. I might be wrong tonight on going with Peralta over Takaya, but I had to do it.

kallousklown
kallousklown

04.09.2011 | 7:00 PM ET

I predicted that Omigawa would beat Mendes but deep down i knew it wasnt gonna happen.

Samson
Samson
  • Predictions:  1,142  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  210
  • Post Score: 187

04.09.2011 | 7:03 PM ET

I did the same. It just bugs the **** out of me watching those guys all the time on HDnet, and having them sign and not perform. I just remember telling a friend, " oh, u got to see kid yo, he is a badass! " But anyway, u hit it on the head Greg.

"In 96' Royce Gracie made me tap...one of many."

Digler
Digler
  • Predictions:  78  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  111
  • Post Score: 149

04.10.2011 | 12:29 AM ET

I thought Riki ***uda looked pretty good against Nick Ring at UFC 127. Ring got the controversial decision but I thought ***uda won. Hatsu Hioki looks pretty good at LW ranked number 2 by USA Today.
Gregory
Gregory

04.10.2011 | 12:31 AM ET

Yup good ones, Digler. Though I'm concerned Hioki's style won't transfer over to the Zuffa world that well.  I'm a big Hioki fan so I hope I'm wrong.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

04.10.2011 | 11:45 PM ET

Other than Okami's upcoming title shot and Aoki's win over Beerbohm, I can't think of any other Japanese fighters that have done anything to make them relevant in the standings lately.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

04.15.2011 | 4:23 PM ET

I would really like to know what happened to Kid, since his name was brought into the mix here.  He truly is a bad ass, IMO.  Not just some guy from Japan who couldn't evolve for Western MMA.  I also couldn't see him as a fly weight, as he is pretty stout for the class he's fighting in now. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

04.15.2011 | 5:09 PM ET

***uda and Yamamoto both have bright futures, and I don't think Gomi is done.

Interesting that Dream just announced its Bantamweight Grand Prix today. Maybe they can begin to produce new talent again.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

04.16.2011 | 12:16 AM ET

I was glad Melendez won, but I was also bummed that Kawajiri lost; I don't know, PRIDE FOREVER....

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.16.2011 | 3:40 AM ET

There Okami for his title shot. Sexyama is as sexy as ever, but he needs to win some fights. Kid can still win a few fights. Once more fighter from Japan adjust to the American cage they'll get better.

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.16.2011 | 3:41 AM ET

There Okami for his title shot. Sexyama is as sexy as ever, but he needs to win some fights. Kid can still win a few fights. Once more fighter from Japan adjust to the American cage they'll get better.

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

kallousklown
kallousklown

04.16.2011 | 3:49 AM ET

I really wanna see Hatsu Hioki in the ufc. im not going to assume he will be the best. He is a good fighter though. He has beaten Mark Hominick twice.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Beatriz ‘Bia’ Mesquita Set For MMA Debut At Spaten Fight Night
  • MMA Mania : Brooke Drops VanZant, Fight Ends In Split Draw
  • Bad Left Hook : Mbilli destroys Heffron in 40 seconds, sets up August fight with Derevyanchenko
  • MMA Junkie : MF & DAZN: X Series 15 results: Paige VanZant knocked down early by Elle Brooke, rallies for split draw
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant suffers brutal knockdown but comes back for split draw with Elle Brooke
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant vs. Elle Brooke Ruled a Split Draw, Rematch Already in the Works – MF & DAZN: X Series 15 Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant vs. Elle Brooke full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : Misfits Boxing 15 live blog: Elle Brooke vs. Paige VanZant
  • MMAFighting.com : Le’Veon Bell survives early scare, punishes Tristan Hamm to win unanimous decision at Misfits Boxing 15
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Catterall avenges disputed loss to Josh Taylor; Bob Arum calls scoring 'a disgrace'
  • MMA Mania : Khabib: Makhachev Finishes Poirier In Under Three Rounds
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Logan Paul hits insane frog splash through announce table but loses match to Cody Rhodes
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Bob Arum erupts after Jack Catterall beats Josh Taylor in rematch: ‘Those scorecards were a disgrace’
  • MMA Junkie : Jamahal Hill vs. Carlos Ulberg: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 303 co-main event
  • MMA Mania : Marshall Talks ‘Hard’ Transition To MMA
  • Bad Left Hook : Jack Catterall digs deep, beats Josh Taylor in grueling rematch
  • Bad Left Hook : Catterall digs deep, beats Taylor in grueling rematch
  • Bad Left Hook : Taylor vs Catterall 2: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 video: Coach Sayif Saud's in-depth breakdown of Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad fueled to become first Palestinian UFC champion: 'Nobody is going to be able erase that'