Tapology Forums

UFC and cutting.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.09.2011 | 12:37 PM ET

Now I know that lots of people are going to say that if you want to be the in the top organization you have to be winning. But I believe that a larger roster makes for better match ups, look at the lightweight division, there are tons of great match ups down there, because they have so many fighters to chose from. While in the other divisions fighters are sitting around a lot longer than they want to to get a fighter of there caliber. Do you agree that the UFC should be more reluctant to cut? Or do you feel the fighters knowing they could get cut with two or three losses make them train harder? Thoughts?

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

Responses

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

04.09.2011 | 12:46 PM ET

The UFC is the largest mma organization in the world. You can't be in it if you can't compete at that level. Their should be a lot more top comptetion coming into the ufc soon because of the purchase of strikeforce.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

04.09.2011 | 12:52 PM ET

I agree with Beastmaster, cutting the guys on the big losing streaks is necessary. It's survival of the fittest, and they keep the very best in the UFC. Some guys get cut prematurely, but in general I'm in favor of the cuts. I think with SF under the Zuffa banner, and the eventual merger, they will keep a bigger roster in the future.

"We Are All One"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

04.09.2011 | 12:59 PM ET

It depends on the competition there losing to like Dan Hardy doesnt deserve to be cut....

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Jono
Jono
  • Predictions:  2,901  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  417
  • Post Score: 54

04.09.2011 | 1:52 PM ET

UFC is all about branding.  Their goal is for you to see UFC and associate it with fighters that are ass kickers (jones) or exciting (lytle). They'll sometimes ride out mainstream popularity cases (kimbo), but in the end, if you don't satisfy the first category, your recent win/loss record comes into play to determine your place in the timming.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

04.09.2011 | 2:16 PM ET

A big part of it is just card space and making sure that all the fighters you have under contract are able to get fights. This has been a big problem for Strikeforce, where they had fighters sitting for 6, 9, 12 months without getting fights.

Let's say the UFC puts on 24 events this year (UFC 132 on July 2nd will be their 12th event).  If there are 11 fights per card, that means 22 fighters per event.  24 events x 22 fighters = 528 slots to fight in.

If you want your fighters to be able to compete 3 times per year, it's 528 / 3 = room for about 176 active fighters.  Lately the UFC has been adding a 12th fight to every card in order to make more room.

But the point is that if you've got too many fighters under contract, you end up screwing them because there's not enough card space to let them get the fights that they deserve.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.09.2011 | 2:32 PM ET

Exactly.  Its bad for the fighters in the long run... No paycheck. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

04.09.2011 | 3:41 PM ET

I'm all for having the best guy available fight over having more familiarity with a guy that I've seen lose

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

WinningOne
WinningOne

04.09.2011 | 7:28 PM ET

Good contributions, one thing that i've been thinking about is that a lot of fighters may fight out of fear of being cut, not fighting for the fans. But I don't focus to much on who's winning rather than who's putting on the best fights.

WinningOne
WinningOne

04.09.2011 | 7:38 PM ET

Good contributions, one thing that i've been thinking about is that a lot of fighters may fight out of fear of being cut, not fighting for the fans. But I don't focus to much on who's winning rather than who's putting on the best fights.

jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

04.10.2011 | 3:54 PM ET

The reality with the UFC purchasing Strikeforce will allow fighters that get cut to fight under the Strikeforce banner...i.e. Jardine.  Not necessarily a bad thing as it opens up new match ups and a chance for fighters to work their way back to the UFC.  There are some fighters that wait a long time in between fights so this can solve some of these issues as well.  The real question will be after the Strikeforce fighter contracts expire...will the UFC eventually dissolve the Strikeforce name?  or will thy keep operating the organizations separately?  We know hat the UFC said that they will; however how long will that stand?

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

04.10.2011 | 4:32 PM ET

Im starting to like this merger now. Bring ufc to SJ!

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.10.2011 | 4:51 PM ET

I would like to see the UFC use Strikeforc'es under-card to keep some of their younger fighters busy. It's the up and comers who need to stay the busiest the big names who take home big paychecks don't need more than 3 fights a year max. SF doesn't really use the prelim card more than filling up the card with some local fighters anyway. Just about every fight in the prelims last night had a fighter from San Diego county.  

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

kallousklown
kallousklown

04.10.2011 | 4:57 PM ET

Thats how it was at the last 2 strikeforce events here in SJ. I saw several of the same guys fight at both events.

WinningOne
WinningOne

04.10.2011 | 8:40 PM ET

@Jsebag I would like to see that as well. The fighters who aren't doing so well to go to Strikeforce as sort of a farm league, and get all the stars from Strikeforce to come over and fight some worthy opponents. Or just make UFC: Challengers as sort of a prospect development. Show biweekly shows such as fight nights. Just my opinion.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

04.10.2011 | 8:46 PM ET

If Bellator can put on a card every Saturday, I don't see why Zuffa can't. Save the PPVs for UFC and put a Strikeforce event on Showtime every Saturday showcasing rookies and guys that are bladerunning with consecutive losses.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

jsebag
jsebag
  • Predictions:  670  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: 42

04.10.2011 | 10:24 PM ET

Dana did say that it would be possible to hold 2 UFC PPV's at one time.....so holding multiple shows could be a possibility.  Watch...he may try and destroy Belator next.  This would not surprise me at the very least.

"To be the man you have to beat the man"

WinningOne
WinningOne

04.10.2011 | 11:59 PM ET

I really hope they don't try to destroy Bellator. They serve very little threat to Zuffa at the moment. There also very entertaining and I love there tournament format that they have going, with the "superfights" on the side. Great organization. They just need more star power to get the views. But I love them the way they are.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

04.11.2011 | 12:12 AM ET

I honestly think they adjusted the PPV time from 10 EST to 9 EST because Bellator was getting just a bit too popular with folks.
I was also happy to hear that Bellator will just adjust their own times earlier on PPV nights.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.11.2011 | 12:16 AM ET

Between the UFC ppv and all the pre-lims between Facebook, Spike and Ion it takes up a good 5 hours of my time to watch just the UFC that day. So if Bellator is ever up against a UFC ppv Bellator is getting DVRed. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

kallousklown
kallousklown

04.11.2011 | 12:17 AM ET

Glad as well about bellator. i enjoy watching them before the ufc fights.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Sooo ... About Last Night
  • Jits Magazine : Flavio Almeida Promoted To 6th Degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis post-fight show: Reaction to Lewis’ big finish, Buckley’s win and McGregor callout
  • Bad Left Hook : Vasiliy Lomachenko stops George Kambosos to win IBF belt
  • MMA Mania : Liver Shot KO! Lomachenko Styles On Kambosos For Masterclass Win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Is This Guy For Real?!?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White praises Joaquin Buckley's UFC on ESPN 56 win, but shuts down his Conor McGregor request
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Lomachenko vs. Kambosos ring announcer completely bungle co-main event fight result
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch ring announcer completely bungle fight result for Lomachenko vs. Kambosos co-main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 bonuses: 12-second winner is a $50K no-brainer
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis bonuses: Trey Waters, Billy Goff take home Fight of the Night following epic war
  • MMA Mania : OUCH! Rebecki Shares Photo Of His Mangled Face
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! ‘Black Jag’ Banks $50K For 12 Seconds Of Work
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Balls got hot again’: Pros react to Derrick Lewis knocking out Rodrigo Nascimento at UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis scores vicious knockout, moons crowd at UFC St. Louis