Tapology Forums

What Are Your Thoughts On MMA Becoming An Olympic Sport?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

justin_boyd_23
justin_boyd_23
  • Predictions:  1,417  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  38
  • Post Score: 113

08.06.2012 | 1:52 AM ET

I have caught glimpses of this year's Olympics.  Some of the sports that I've seen make me wonder what exactly qualify it as a sport (honestly, water polo is not something that I see as a sport).  So that being said, who all thinks that MMA should be an Olympics Sport?

All the reasons are there for MMA to become an Olympic Sport according to Dana White.

A TMZ reporter caught up with White and asked him about his thoughts on MMA being in the Olympics.

"It should be [an Olympic sport]," said White. "If you think about it now, in boxing you get punched in the head and body, judo you can do throws and submissions, taekwondo you can kick and punch and in wrestling you can do takedowns and throws. All those things are what the UFC is— Mixed Martial Arts. You're just putting them all together."

When the reporter hinted if White would try to have the sport added to the Olympics, White made it clear that he has a full-time job as UFC President.

"It's not my job," said White. "I'm not heading out the whole … I got enough sh*t to do."

Credit: TMZ

"When I be losing I be gettin' my ass whupped. But when I be winnin' I be doing the ass whuppin'!" Rampage Jackson

Responses

SRAOnline
SRAOnline
  • Predictions:  9,854  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,719
  • Post Score: 313

08.06.2012 | 2:09 AM ET

I don't think it'd work. You'd need a universal body over it. There'd be rules changes and it'd need to be, for a lack of a better analogy, watered down in order to be accepted as an Olympic sport.

"Pretend to be someone you're not once, and you're a liar. Do it every day, and you're a professional."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

08.06.2012 | 2:13 AM ET

I don't think it'd work and I wouldn't be to upset if it didn't. Sports in the Olympics that I know of is a pure sport. What happens when you get someone like Ben Askren representing their country, or even worse, winning!  If by some crazy chance though mma does become an Olympic sport, I want it to be amateur like in boxing.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx
  • Predictions:  6,259  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 169

08.06.2012 | 2:22 AM ET

i dont think it will work. you would have to be padded up just to make sure you didnt get to cut up. other then that if they did something like this it would be sweet.

"2012 GIF AV Grand Prix "FAH Q" Award winner!"

TinShadowcat
TinShadowcat
  • Predictions:  642  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  77
  • Post Score: 149

08.06.2012 | 6:21 AM ET

There's no need.  The Olympics are used to bring the best athletes in the world to compete against each other.  The UFC already does that.

"War Damn Eagle!"

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx

08.06.2012 | 9:24 AM ET

i think the UFC has the best fighters but i want to see a group of fighter together from all promotions fight to find out who the best is. that would be sweet.

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

08.06.2012 | 9:53 AM ET

speaking of none sports my other half has just got back from london after watching the dressage (horse dancing)

This vaugly related post is currently in "whats hot" on google+
https://plus.google.com/113117251731252114390/posts/XB11zPjaaV9

pankration with modern saftey rules would probably become very close to unified rules. I dont see the olympics going for a cage any time in the near future. 

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

08.06.2012 | 9:59 AM ET

The universal body over it is called the IMMAF. They are in London right now trying to have MMA as an Olympic sport in the near future.

IMMAF article
FoxSports article

Right now only 12 countries are under this IMMAF (including Canada), imo the first step if to get more members all around the world.

Everything is already in place in Canada. We have a point system within each province and at the end of each year we have a tournament to determine the Canadian winners in each weight classes. Those winners would be sent to the Olympics and turn pro after the games.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.06.2012 | 10:03 AM ET

MMA as an Olympic sport is a mistake...it sounds great, but in reality it would end up needing replacement after replacement as winners in each round get hurt and can't continue on. I'd be surprised if Dana would even let the guys they have under contract compete. I'd be for BJJ being made an Olympic sport, but it would be dominated by Brazilians at first kind of like basketball and the US for so long.

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

TinShadowcat
TinShadowcat

08.06.2012 | 1:00 PM ET

I've actually though about BJJ as an Olympic sport for a long time, but my only hesitation would be the complete domination by the Brazilians for a couple of years.  Still, it might be handy for getting more people into the sport, and subsequently MMA when they realize how frustrating it is to not be able to punch the guy in the face who's trying to rip your arm off.  :P  The bottom line is that the UFC is the most talent-filled organization in the world, whether you want to admit it or not.  The best fighters from the entire world come together to compete, and having them and the few other major promotions that still survive, namely Strikeforce and Bellator, would be pointless because they're simply not on the same level.  Remember Hector Lombard?  I'm not saying that there are no fighters from other promotions that can beat some UFC fighters, but I'm saying that they usually end up in the UFC anyway.  There's a reason it's the largest promotion in the world.

EDIT:  Good post wiflet, there's a lot of interesting stuff in there.

* Edited at 08.06.2012, 1:05 PM ET *

"War Damn Eagle!"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

08.06.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

@Tin How about the new sport Eddie Bravo is pushing Combat Jiu Jitsu over BJJ at least then there is some striking on the ground

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

08.06.2012 | 1:13 PM ET

MMA at the Olympics would be for amateur fighters. No need to talk about the UFC or other pro promotions...

It could be a good way to get MMA known, get new fans and discover new young talents.

In 2004 I discovered a Canadian boxer, Jean Pascal, at the Olympics. One year later he made his pro boxing debut and I watched all of his fights since.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

08.06.2012 | 1:23 PM ET

AMMA would work great in the Olympics, deserves more of a place than Jiu-Jitsu that's for damn sure. AMMA at the Olympics should be contested Quebec-style, shin pads, boxing gloves, in a ring, no sparring helmets, no ground elbows, knees or kicks and fought with 3 2 minute rounds.

Jiu-Jitsu seems like a sport that would work at the Olympics but it wouldn't work at all, no way. The sport is dominated by one nation, it would just be an event to give extra medals to Brazil.

@wake99 Pascal is awesome, it's a shame that he's been losing recently.

"الله أكبرl"

TinShadowcat
TinShadowcat

08.06.2012 | 1:35 PM ET

@SoccerKick  I've always been an Eddie Bravo fan (rubber guard <3) but alot of people wouldn't want to compete in a modified version of the original sport.  That'd be like doing...well...I was gonna use freestyle wrestling instead of Greco-Roman as an example, but they have that in the Olympics anyway......

"War Damn Eagle!"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

08.06.2012 | 1:40 PM ET

I can't believe people are looking at Combat Jiu-Jitsu as a real sport/martial art...sigh. Combat Jiu-Jitsu is grappling for fighters with aspiring MMA careers, that's it that's all.

"الله أكبرl"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

08.06.2012 | 1:45 PM ET

Combat Jiu Jitsu is as real as AMMA...they're both avenues to a fighting professionally

Fenice
Fenice
  • Predictions:  52  |  48.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 133

08.06.2012 | 2:46 PM ET

I would love to see it, but will never happen. If only for the fact that the UFC would hold fighters back from going there in fear of injuries.

Also I don't know how well it would go over with the crowd. When I was in grammar school the UFC was a VHS tape I rented from a store. It took this long to grow and nurture itself onto Fox. Maybe we will be having this discussion again in 10 years, but right now it just isn't possible. It's very sad, but true.

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx

08.06.2012 | 3:10 PM ET

combat BJJ is sambo then right? 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Beast’ Mode! Khamzat Now Training With ‘MVP’
  • MMAFighting.com : Arnold Allen vs. Giga Chikadze set for UFC 304 in Manchester
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m definitely going to sue Canelo for defamation’: De La Hoya responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Cedric Doumbe doesn’t want Marc Goddard refereeing his fights again: ‘I don’t like the guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: 5 questions (and answers) before boxing showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • MMA Mania : Mexican Merab Has UF-Si Challenge For ‘Suga’
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman and Henry Cejudo Offer Their Condolences to Francis Ngannou, Preview Jose Aldo’s UFC 301 Return
  • MMA Junkie : Caio Borralho plans to KO Paul Craig at UFC 301, avenge fellow Brazilians: 'I love this matchup'
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Volkanovski declares Jose Aldo the featherweight GOAT
  • MMA Mania : Co-op Live Cancelation Chaos!
  • MMA Junkie : Demetrious Johnson aspires to 'box a legend of the sport,' not a fellow MMA fighter
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 304 adds Arnold Allen vs. Giga Chikadze to Manchester lineup
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Steve Erceg, Caio Borralho, UFC 301 Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Page trains with ‘beast’ Khamzat Chimaev
  • MMA Junkie : Alessandro Costa motivated to see former rival Steve Erceg fight for UFC title
  • MMA Mania : UFC 302 Poster Drops For ‘Makhachev Vs Poirier’
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Ryan Garcia, Jose Aldo’s return at UFC 301, Mike Perry shines again, Paul vs. Tyson sanctioned
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Between the Links LIVE NOW
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo's coach predicts brutal knockout over Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301