Topic: Anthony Johnson

Rumble would fight Penn for right price

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.02.2011 | 7:05 PM ET

This would be an awesome fight!  This article does not seem to be based on any real rumor or evidence of a fight. But what a fight it would be, probably the best I can think of. I like it better than Penn vs Condit.

http://mmadiehards.com/features/anthony-johnson-at-this-point-i-have-no-choice-but-to-be-ready/

Johnson walked away from the fight with Hardy completely unscathed and is ready to get back in there immediately.

“I’m staying in shape and trying to keep my weight down,” Johnson explained.  “Right now I’m only about 200 pounds, but I’m full of water right now.  When I run I sweat so much it looks like I just got out of a swimming pool, so if they were to tell me I have a fight in a month I know I’d be ready.  The weight would be easy to come off, I’m good to go.”

Johnson does not have any indication who his next opponent will be, but he is a candidate to fill in for Jon Fitch against B.J. Penn.  Fitch recently injured himself in training and Penn is in need of partner for the dance.  “Rumble” may not be the first choice on everyone’s list , but he did just beat a guy in Hardy who is only two fights removed from a title fight.

“Hell, if I fight B.J. they’re for sure going to have to renegotiate my contract,” said Johnson.  “If the opportunity was presented, would I take a fight like that? Yeah.  I don’t say no to fights and I like to fight, if I’m winning or not, I still like to fight.  So yeah, I would take that fight.”

Fighting a guy like Penn is a big step up in competition and a lot of fighters are not at that level.  Johnson has showcased multiple impressive victories in the Octagon, but none of them were against a fighter that is of Penn’s caliber, yet the NJCAA champion feels like he has to be prepared for those higher caliber fighters.

“I feel like at this point I have no choice but to be ready,” said Johnson.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Anthony Kewoa Johnson
  • Pro MMA Record: 23-6-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Rumble
  • Ending Streak: 1 Win
  • Date of Birth: 1984.03.06 | Died: 2022.11.13
  • Last Fight: May 07, 2021 in BFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 205.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Kill Cliff FC
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 77.0" (196cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,797,000 USD
  • Born: Dublin, Georgia, United States
  • Fought out of: Boca Raton, Florida
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

seanbio
seanbio
  • Predictions:  260  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 37

04.03.2011 | 9:43 PM ET

@Gregory Frankie Edgar is a NCAA Division 1 wrestler. Anthony Johnson wrestled at some unknown college. Notice the only fighters that were able to take BJ Penn were either D1 wrestlers or fighters who train with Olympic wrestlers - GSP. Unless Anthony Johnson trains at Team Quest, there is no way he'll be able to take down BJ Penn. Diego Sanchez has similar wrestling accomplishments as Anthony Johnson and he struggled.

"Joe Silva could call Dan Miller at 3 in morning to tell him he's fighting Godzilla in an hour and he would take that fight."

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

04.03.2011 | 9:49 PM ET

I think BJ's tdd might be null bc johnson is so big and strong he might be able to just pick him up and slam him. Even with great balance a bigger guy who can lift you up is going to get a takedown. I honestly don't think BJ would take that fight anyways.

"Frig off, bud"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

04.04.2011 | 1:38 PM ET

Im actually glad hes doing this because lets say he destroys BJ hed only be paid like $10000 were BJ losing would get like ten times that. I just dont see anyone taking GSP down...besides Jake Shields. This should be a good fight for rumble though.
Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

04.07.2011 | 5:18 AM ET

I still think AJ's size would be too much for BJ, I mean BJ is a small welterweight and AJ is possibly the biggest welterweight there is.

"I Get Better."

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

04.07.2011 | 5:20 AM ET

Incidently, Hardy was ranked 12 when he fought AJ, he's ranked 16 now.

"I Get Better."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

04.07.2011 | 5:43 AM ET

I just plain out do not want to see Johnson versus Penn.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

04.07.2011 | 5:59 AM ET

@Yaspaa ... What Rankings do you use tapology or what? because there is no official ufc rankings.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.07.2011 | 10:55 AM ET

I wonder what the right price is....you'd think as a young fighter if you were offered a fight with BJ Penn you'd jump on it...it's only gonna help your career fighting such a big name guy

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

04.07.2011 | 11:45 AM ET

@SoccerKick... Unless you get knocked out in first 20 seconds ala Hughes?

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Reeves
Reeves
  • Predictions:  778  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  225
  • Post Score: 139

04.07.2011 | 12:35 PM ET

Another good fight would be Penn Vs Condit, Johnson isn't ready for Penn I don't care how big he is size wise it won't matter.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick

04.07.2011 | 12:54 PM ET

But Matt Hughes has nothing to prove and that loss does nothing to him in terms of being one of the greatest of all-time...A fight with Penn as a young guy is gonna let you know where you stand currently...I'm with you Reeves I would rather see Condit/Penn

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.07.2011 | 1:13 PM ET

Agreed with SoccerKick on this... shouldn't matter the price if you're young and already in the UFC.  If that kind of opportunity arrises and you have time for a proper camp, you take it and let the chips fall where they may.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

thabestevah
thabestevah
  • Predictions:  199  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 27

04.07.2011 | 2:23 PM ET

Man... A lot of people really overrating Penn. Penn would get beaten and possibly even beaten badly by "Rumble". I don't care what Johnson has earned it doesn't take a genius to compare the 2 skill sets and see that that match-up equals bad things for Penn. Jonhson is HUGE in comparison to Penn. I believe Johnson is at least as good of a striker, I think better, and then you add on the significant reach advantage, The fact that Penn will probably not be able to take him down, Johnson would probably be able to take him down if he gets hurt or at the very least muscle him to the cage to recover. 

Also factor in that Penn doesn't even seem like he wants to fight anymore and this is an easy fight for me to pick a winner in. I would not be willing to pick Penn against any top fighter right now. He seems to be getting in the cage to collect a check nowadays. He completely checked out in the second Edgar fight and was dominated by Fitch in the third after Fitch's shock of the Penn's admittedly great initial strategy wore off. 

I think I would rather see him fight Condit just because of where Condit is in the rankings right now. Even with a dominating win over Penn Johnson would need at least one more win to be looking at a shot at the title. If Condit beats Penn he would pretty much have to get the next title shot IMO. 

"It's not about whether you win or lose... Well, unless your the guy who lost."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.07.2011 | 5:48 PM ET

Not sure who would win between AJ and BJ, but no way is AJ a better striker.  AJ has two things on BJ:  Size and wrestling and that is what he would use to win.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Reeves
Reeves

04.07.2011 | 9:57 PM ET

Chances are it would be Anthony Johnson looking to take down Penn first other than the other way around I bet. I am a huge Anthony Johnson fan he is one of my favorites (Penn is too) and I do think someday he would be able to beat someone of Penn's skill level but not at this point. Johnson has big power but it isn't as great as people seem to think plus I don't think I've seen Penn hurt by punches he has a great chin. Penn with the cardio to go three rounds is pretty scary, maybe he is overrated by people but it's hard to argue with his accomplishments. I was expecting Fitch to dominate Penn for three rounds but the first two were close before he got absolutely dominated in round 3, that makes me think he can put up a pretty good fight against any Welterweight win or lose except GSP.
thabestevah
thabestevah
  • Predictions:  199  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 27

04.08.2011 | 2:48 AM ET

I am a huge Johnson fan. The fact is he has really used his wrestling in one fight in pretty much forever. That was because he had a huge layoff and fought someone with no chance to stop his take-downs. Johnson has always used his striking to win while inside the UFC, the only fights he has lost were on the ground. Why would he take Penn down when he has a huge reach and power advantage? Penn's best chance to beat him would be on the ground. I don't recall seeing Johnson ever really rocked in a fight either. Johnson would come into that fight young and hungry and Penn would come in as well... Penn. 

Penn has had 12 fights since he returned to the UFC... His record is 6-5-1... Stellar... 

Come on people... I know he has been hyped endlessly by the UFC but the fact is that is not the record of a top fighter no matter what type of competition they are fighting. Especially when 2 of the 6 wins came over Joe Stevenson and Jens Pulver! Another came over a well over the hill Matt Hughes who has been talking retirement for about 2 years now. Too bad Penn isn't fighting on this card. I would put money on a fight between him and Rumble. 

Penn isn't getting past that jab if Johnson utilizes it properly and he isn't getting Johnson down IMO. Penn has gassed quite a few times, get a huge WW pushing him around the cage and what do you guys expect to happen? If Penn's striking is so great why did he look so bad striking with Edgar? He even quit in their second fight.. If Edgar can break him I have no reason at all to believe that a massive WW with much more power could do the same thing.

"It's not about whether you win or lose... Well, unless your the guy who lost."

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

04.08.2011 | 1:05 PM ET

I'm just not interested in this fight. Condit is the fight I want to see.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

04.08.2011 | 2:07 PM ET

Condit vs Penn is the only fight I want to see either fighter in now!

Reeves
Reeves

04.08.2011 | 2:19 PM ET

Yeah Penn is 6-5-1 since he returned to the UFC but look at who he lost to, GSP twice, Hughes, and Edgar twice. Those are some of the best fighters out there, the first fight with GSP was close, the Hughes fight he won the first two rounds, and the first Edgar fight was close. Sure Johnson may have power and he for sure has a bigger reach but those aren't everything when it comes to striking, I agree Penn may be a bit over hyped but he is very good. He has very good stand up, Freddie Roach claimed he has the best boxing of any MMA fighter he has trained. I want to see Condit/Penn more anyway that fight would be sick.
bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

04.08.2011 | 2:31 PM ET

Penn deserves the hype, P4P look at what he's done, i was a hater and a doubter but after the fight he gave Jon Fitch how can you not like the guy. If he reaches out and trains with other high caliber fighters, like he did by training with Matt Hughes for his wrestling against Fitch, he has more potential than most. Not to mention Fitch dwarfed him come fight night. I think Rumble would actually Crumble if he fought him..... high profile fights have been his weakness to this point in his career and Penn is more than high profile. I think Johnson's potential is amazing, but he's not ready for a focused BJ.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith agrees to Alex Pereira's $50K bet after UFC 301 submission win: 'I'll choke the sh*t out of him'
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor may be BKFC co-owner, but Mike Perry still wants that fight: ‘I am my own boss’
  • MMA Mania : Video: O’Malley Vs. Dvalishvili Booked?
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Shore's coach calls foul on shin cut stoppage at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let Fighters Fight!’