Topic: Fitch vs. Silva

Fitch vs. Silva

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,672  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,584
  • Post Score: 60

08.01.2012 | 3:44 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Fitch vs. Silva. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,061  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

08.01.2012 | 3:44 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Silva is a quick rising star and I think Fitch's lay and pray style will not overcome him.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

08.01.2012 | 6:19 PM ET

Prediction: correct Fitch   correct Decision  

Silva might have good promise but Fitch's promise is proven over time.  Time will tell if a young lion can maul the old lion.  The 60/40 breakdown split shows the house supporting excitement over tested skill.  

We'll see.  Let us hope that if the outcome doesn't support the majority consensus, that everyone will give full credit where it is due.  Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Jmad
Jmad
  • Predictions:  885  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 106

08.01.2012 | 6:23 PM ET

I liked how Silva defended Brenneman's wrestling, but I know Fitch is on another level. I hope Fitch doesn't get a LnP victory here and taint young Erick's record. I will be predicting a Silva 1st round KO over Fitch.

"'I'm going to beat you to a living death." -Ken Shamrock on Tito"

RockZ
RockZ
  • Predictions:  242  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  457
  • Post Score: 137

08.01.2012 | 6:36 PM ET

One can of course argue for Fitch's experience over Silva's newness, but in part I am picking Silva for the same reason I picked Weidman over Munoz or Barao over Faber; I think this is one of those situations where it pays off more to pick the fresher up-and-coming new guy who has looked like a beast over the experienced (but imo on his way out), proven other guy.

Fitch will have the ground advantage but based on Silva's already good and improving TDD and his great Judo and BJJ, I think he won't be blown away on the ground at all. On the feet, it looks to me like Silva will have the undeniable advantage, and is more of a threat to Fitch on the feet than Fitch is a threat to Silva on the ground. 

The only slight ? I have is Silva's cardio, but when I match up his hunger and speed to Fitch's experience, I  don't see any decisive advantage for Fitch. Honestly, I give the greatest chance of a finish to a Silva (t)KO, then to a Fitch sub, but I think I may go with a decision or Silva (t)KO.

"Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand. - George Foreman"

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,901  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

08.01.2012 | 9:22 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Fitch is hard to bet against.  He was so consistent for so long, but now he's 34 years old.  He failed to get the W in his last 2 fights, suffering his first stoppage loss since early in his long career.  He's coming off back to back injury lay offs, and he's fighting a young, super dangerous striker and BJJ black belt, who showed awesome takedown defense against a great wrestler in his last fight. 

Gotta go with Silva.  TKO round 2.
ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

08.01.2012 | 9:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I feel like this will be a really good fight. Right now, I have Silva due to his explosiveness and power, rocking Fitch, beating him up for a while, and finishing an RNC in the second. For now, anyway.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

08.01.2012 | 9:47 PM ET

I like both @AnAlias and @prodigykid's arguments... I too will pick Silva.. I just don't know how yet.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

08.01.2012 | 10:07 PM ET

Business as usual.

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.01.2012 | 10:08 PM ET

Explain.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Anik
Anik

08.01.2012 | 10:15 PM ET

Fitch will take him down like he's taken every other fighter down, and he will break his will like he's broken the wills of so many other fighters before Mr. Silva. 

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.01.2012 | 10:16 PM ET

Have you seen Erick fight?

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

08.01.2012 | 10:20 PM ET

As usual, I think AnAlias brings a perceptive, objective hard look.  Very sharp.  I disagree but still love his analysis.

I think one of the most relevant factors will be if Fitch has his skill set at the same level as previously.  He is in something like GSP's position.  If they both come back full-strength or maybe better due to higher motivation, they will be tough to beat.

But that is a big if.  Injuries normally lower one's skills a little but the deciding factor will be in their determination to train up to former levels.  If they can succeed in doing that, their opponents will be very hard-pressed to find ways to beat them.  

Fitch is an old master at neutralizing his opponents power.  He proved that against Thiago Alves twice.  Alves was a monster beast but was no match for Fitch's superior ground game.  Monster Alves was raw meat for the master grappler.  Fitch has adjusted his wrestling for MMA and knows endless tricks for setting up his take-downs and avoiding his opponents power shots.

When he got caught by Hendricks, he was coming off an injury and that, combined with inperfect timing and not looking for Hendricks to go for a power shot so early, resulted in his demise.  But I feel he will be on high alert due diligence against that kind of ambush ever again.  As GSP always is.  Once burned, ever alert.

* Edited at 08.01.2012, 10:22 PM ET *

Anik
Anik

08.01.2012 | 10:20 PM ET

Is that a serious question Mr. Bibbles?

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.01.2012 | 10:21 PM ET

No, but I don't think this is going to be the typical Fitch fight... I think Silva is the real deal... maybe I'm wrong.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

08.01.2012 | 10:26 PM ET

Yes, we all saw that highlight reel and Erick is the real deal.  

But why is Fitch not real?  Erick doesn't hit any harder than Thiago Alves used to, does he?  Martial arts and MMA is the art of neutralizing your opponents' superior power.

Skill and finesse have overcome power forever.

Jack Dempsey/Gene Tunney twice
Ali/Liston
Sugar Ray Leonard/Marvin Hagler
Melvin Guillard / half the LW division
Edgar/ Penn
Koscheck / Rumble Johnson
Koscheck / Paul Daley

* Edited at 08.01.2012, 10:29 PM ET *

Anik
Anik

08.01.2012 | 10:28 PM ET

@Kalibo of course he's the real deal, but remember where I'm coming from: I think Fitch is still the 2nd best welterweight on the planet. Erick Silva losing to Fitch doesn't make him bad, it just doesn't make him top 2 in my eyes and at such an early stage in his career, it's alright to not be in the top 2 right?

"الله أكبرl"

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.01.2012 | 10:40 PM ET

I never said Fitch wasn't real.  I classify Fitch right now as the old breed of MMA athlete.  The new breed is passing them by as the old breed does not evolve... that is all.

MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

08.02.2012 | 3:39 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Silva   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

This fight is almost 50-50 for me with the slight edge to Silva, he hits harder, better striking, good submissions but I never count Fitch out.
Russello
Russello
  • Predictions:  6,288  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,839
  • Post Score: 279

08.02.2012 | 4:10 AM ET

I'm so unsure about my pick. Fitch was held to a draw by Penn who wasn't exactly the best at WW and was just KOed. It's in Brazil and the home fans are likely to be unhappy if Fitch starts to blanket Silva which will likely mean much quicker stand ups. Plus Silva seems so beast and explosive and he dealt with Charlie with ease.

However, Fitch was no.2 for so long. Anik and Bill have also made me feel sorry for the guy aha. I'll pick him now, might change it.

* Edited at 08.02.2012, 4:10 AM ET *

"In the quiet words of the virgin Mary.. come again?"

Kalibo
Kalibo

08.02.2012 | 11:09 AM ET

I just believe Silva will out "mma" Fitch. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Up Next! UFC St. Louis On ESPN!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘If not for Canelo I’m not going down to 168’: David Benavidez says only one fight brings him back to super middleweight
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 29-May 5)
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: What’s next for free agent Jose Aldo after triumphant return at UFC 301?
  • MMA Mania : Inoue Survives Knockdown, Stops Nery In Six
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Mentally, I feel like the fight’s won’: Martin talks upcoming fight with Tank
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Disagrees with Merab Dvalishvili’s Claim of Title Bout at UFC 306 in Las Vegas
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski open to fourth Max Holloway fight now that he's BMF champion
  • Bad Left Hook : RANKINGS: Naoya Inoue and Canelo hold firm in top spots, more
  • Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Brackets At IBJJF Geneva Open 2024
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Dustin Poirier, Alexandre Pantoja, plus Dan Hardy, Veronica Hardy, and Paul Hughes all in studio at 1 p.m. ET
  • Middle Easy : MMA Community Reacts to Anthony Smith’s Submission Victory and Announcing Mishap at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Blew It’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56: How to watch Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento, start time, St. Louis fight card, odds, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Naoya Inoue vs. Luis Nery full fight video highlights
  • Bad Left Hook : KNOCKOUT! Naoya Inoue comes off canvas to brutalize Luis Nery
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Dana White, Max Holloway, Sean O'Malley on red carpet for Tom Brady roast on Netflix
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Dana White catches shots over UFC fighter pay, rips 'liberal f*cks' at Netflix during Tom Brady roast
  • MMA Mania : ‘Decisions, Decisions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Demetrious Johnson suggests UFC ‘don’t let flyweights main event’ after UFC 301