Tapology Forums

Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva: Better Superfight?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rwilkerson15
rwilkerson15
  • Predictions:  2,003  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 193

03.31.2011 | 10:31 AM ET

After his victory over Shogun, im starting to belive in the hype, but when is it time to see Jon Jones vs. Anderson Silva? I'm pretty sure that GSP can wait with all that talent in the Welterweight class just itching to get a shot at him.

"Say Word..."

Responses

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

03.31.2011 | 10:34 AM ET

Honeslty, it seems GSP doesn't even want to move up to MW.  I think for sure it would be the better superfight, but I think Jones needs to defend a few times first.  Dana is just looking for things to keep Anderson occupied.  The SF merger really helps here... Souza would be a tough fight for Anderson imo.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

03.31.2011 | 10:41 AM ET

Silva has already stated that he isn't going to fight at LHW anymore. But GSP vs Silva will be much bigger because it will answer a whole lot more questions.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

03.31.2011 | 11:42 AM ET

NO

Jon Jones isn't the supposed #1 P4P ( Even if Anderson really is )

I think it would be entertaining, but I want silva vs gsp. Let Jones at least clear out the division first.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.31.2011 | 12:21 PM ET

I had a dream last night that GSP lost to Shields in round 2 - no ********. . . . .
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

03.31.2011 | 12:26 PM ET

Lets hope your wrong.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.31.2011 | 12:26 PM ET

I've been losing more and more interest in a Silva/GSP super fight ever since Jones wrecked Shogun.  GSP has never sounded confident about moving up to middleweight because he's just built for welterweight.  He's a big welterweight, but at middleweight he'd probably be average at best.  On the other hand Silva isn't really interested in fighting at light heavyweight for some reason, but I thought that had more to do with not getting in Machida's way. 

Jon Jones is the only fighter I see right now who would probably be willing to make a super fight by going up a weight class, yet he'd be making a weight jump at least 3x bigger than any other fighter.  I think that kind of attitude can make him the greatest ever.  Though with Jones I'm thinking more like 3 years down the road if he's still on top at light heavyweight.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.31.2011 | 12:27 PM ET

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

bklettke
bklettke

03.31.2011 | 12:33 PM ET

Anderson Silva seems like he's trying to protect his legacy now. He went from testing 205 for a challenge, to not fighting there because of Lyoto, then wanting the biggest fights he can have for his legacy with the best opponents. Now he just wants to fight at MW unless he's fighting a much smaller GSP with a catchweight possibilty. IDK, i love him as a fighter and his abilities are freakish, but a part of me is wondering if he's only wanting MW now because his career is coming to an end soon. I mean Jon Jones is the real deal and 205 brings him some very interesting fights, if he wants a superfight, LHW is the one that makes the most sense.

@LynxGuy - i agree with you, its only a matter of time before the weight cut and/or diet is too much for Jon Jones. He was reportedly at 212 about 10 days before the Shogun fight, but that was with basically 14 weeks in a solid training camp because of the Bader fight.And he still looked massive compared to Shogun. Once he starts filling out, he's going to be an ever larger prospect for the HW class at a solid 255lbs.

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

03.31.2011 | 1:23 PM ET

Let Jones defend before we get into arguments about him fighting the pound for pound champ. But right now as it stands the only viable fight for silva next is either GSP or Okami. At this point chael is still in legal limbo and Silva said he doesnt want to move up anymore.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

03.31.2011 | 1:34 PM ET

Anderson's no spring chicken. Does he really need to prove anything anymore?

"I Get Better."

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.31.2011 | 1:42 PM ET

I think this is a more interesting fight over the GSP vs Spider fight. Because I see Anderson Just picking apart GSP with that long ass reach. Or GSP can just pul a chael sonnen and take it to the ground and try and destroy him from down there. Im more interested in a Bones vs Silva fight I just want to see more fights under jones to help prove his worth and to help us see if he is going to dominate the whole weight class.
bklettke
bklettke

03.31.2011 | 2:07 PM ET

I'm not saying Anderson has anything to prove, i just think he should make up his mind and it appears he finally has. Soares stated a few things on his behalf and his view of how or who he wants to fight changed. I don't think either he or GSP should move weight classes and have nothing left to prove other than to keep beating fighters in their respective divisions. Okami deserves his shot, and whoever wins the BJ and his yet to be named opponent should get the next shot.

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

03.31.2011 | 2:11 PM ET

I disagree with the majority opinion totally. Jon Jones should be heavily favored against Anderson. I think GSP is much much more likely to beat Anderson than Anderson is to beat Jon Jones. Anderson/GSP is a more competitive fight than Anderson/Bones. Jon Jones would ragdoll Anderson. GSP could take down Anderson and win a decision.

Also, GSP/Anderson has a bigger angle behind it - both of them have dominated their divisions for years now and have been parallel champs for most of their reigns.

Finally, why should Anderson move up to fight Jon Jones when Chael Sonnen was 3 minutes away from taking his belt? It doesn't make much sense. He's also had trouble with Hendo and Lutter, and I could see him having trouble with other fighters in the division currently. Whereas GSP has dominated (although not finished) everyone, and the two best challengers by far (Fitch rematch and Shields) should be strong underdogs. I don't want to turn this into a "GSP vs Anderson" or "dominant decisions vs finishes" argument. I'm just saying that GSP is much more dominant within his division than Anderson is.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Kalibo
Kalibo

03.31.2011 | 2:25 PM ET

GSP has stated his hesitation to move up to MW though and that is why I lost interest.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

03.31.2011 | 5:35 PM ET

The Anderson/Silva fight is like a thorn in Silva's side. Sonnen lost, Anderson overcame adversity and won the fight, something BJ couldn't do with Edgar. Anderson's problem is extreme confidence mixed with modesty and respect. It makes a slightly strange brew, but dang, I don't know any fighter who can deflect punches with his face. He reminds me of Bones years from now, bored with lacking competition, so he gives himself mental tasks for winning fights like: front kick, or Muay Thai knees, or armbar. Mixed Martial Anderson. 

"I Get Better."

Samson
Samson
  • Predictions:  1,142  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  210
  • Post Score: 187

03.31.2011 | 6:32 PM ET

@bklettke....how did he lose in ur dream?

"In 96' Royce Gracie made me tap...one of many."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.31.2011 | 6:46 PM ET

If GSP is willing to move up to MW I would rather see GSP vs Silva first, then Silva vs Bones Jones. Silva vs GSP (if GSP beats sheilds) would be the two most dominant fighters of the last decade fighting one another. From a historical point of view this fight makes sense to happen in the near future. Having said that after the Bones Shogun fight I admitably would be more interested in seeing Silva vs Bones, yet I do not feel it is the right time for this to happen. I am presuming that if Silva and Gsp do fight, Silva will most likely be victorious, mainly because he's the bigger fighter, and has super natural striking ability. IF Silva beats GSP, and Bones has presumably added atleast 1 successful title defense, then I belive the Silva/Bones Jones fight will make more sense.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

03.31.2011 | 6:46 PM ET

I'd be glad with either personally. Big fans of all three fighters so I'd be happy with either of these fights. But a fighter shouldn't be forced to move up.

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

04.01.2011 | 12:07 AM ET

I'm not big on these interdivisional matches. If GSP wants to stay at WW let him if Anderson wants to stay at MW let him. These fighters shouldn't be forced into gaining or losing weight. If GSP wanted to move up then it's a different story but they are trying to force him up which I don't like. When Anderson moved up before it's because he wanted to and wanted to fight more. Now he is fine where he is fighting at the pace he is. Neither fighter has anything to prove to anybody. People want to see one of these guys lose and matching them against each other is the best way to do it. If they want to build a legacy for themselves as the best MW and WW of all times let them do it in their own division. Champion vs Champion is a big thing because of Boxing but they have a bunch a different Major titles so 2 guys in the same division could be dominate champions giving opportunities for 2 dominate champs to fight each other. Since MMA has only 1 real major title in each division these mega fights aren't available. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.01.2011 | 9:36 AM ET

@Yaspa... Anderson doesn't really show that much respect during his fights... See the Maia fight, the Griffen fight, etc.. Anderson's problem (imo) is that he is bored. 

That is why I'm not too sure why he wouldn't want to move up to LHW and give it a go.  That is what great fighters do.  I hate to have a boxing reference in here, but all the great boxers have been multiple weight class division champs (minus some heavies).  If Andersona and GSP want a "legacy", like Randy or even BJ for goodness sake, they'll test themselves in other divisions.  But hey, if they don't want to, so be it.  They'll both end up retiring being the greatest fighters ever for the respective division.  And that ladies and gentlemen is why I do not understand the pound for pound rankings sometimes!

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith agrees to Alex Pereira's $50K bet after UFC 301 submission win: 'I'll choke the sh*t out of him'
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'