Tapology Forums

Cruz/ Faber rivalry

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.28.2011 | 11:50 PM ET

Here is Urijah talking about his dislike for Dominick.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ6BmMJYpA&sns=em
What do you guys think about this?
Urijah just plain out rubs me the wrong way. Not a fan of his 'cool/dude/bro" personality. In the above link, he even says the reason he doesn't like Cruz is because he isn't cool. That's just my opinion. What do you guys think about it?

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

03.29.2011 | 12:04 AM ET

I like Urijah, but not in this fight.   Perhaps Urijah's greatest asset is his speed and reflexes, yet Cruz is the younger, faster, speedier guy in this fight.  I think Urijah will be more effective than Scott Jorgensen was, but not effective enough to win 3 of 5 rounds.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

03.29.2011 | 12:05 AM ET

I've liked Faber since the first WEC I saw(think he was fighting Curran).

I respect that he isn't fake and just pretending to like people. If someone doesn't like me I'd rather have them come out and say it rather then act fake around me.

I really think he can win this fight too. He's dangerous in scrambles with his guillotines or RNC's and his hands are VERY fast which he showed against Wineland. I think he'll give Cruz a lot of pressure and outstrike him just like Wineland.

I see either a sub or decision for Faber, but I can only see Cruz winning by decision.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

03.29.2011 | 12:07 AM ET

Faber talks a lot of **** for a guy who got chased out of his own weight class with his tail between his legs.

I was hoping Wineland beat his ass.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.29.2011 | 12:07 AM ET

Its a very winnable fight for Faber but I still see Cruz using his hit and run strategy to get a decision. Im hoping to see some good tdd on Cruz's part.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

03.29.2011 | 7:13 AM ET

This fight is an interesting one for sure. and geezhound lets not forget that Cruz had the same thing happen to him after his first fight with Cruz. The fact that Faber doesn't like him just makes this a more exciting fight. Now i do think that Cruz is faster than Faber but if he tries to take Faber down it's gonna be a long night for Cruz. I think that if it hits the ground it's all Faber

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.29.2011 | 7:18 AM ET

Also kallous is it because you can't stand that huge ass-chin of his? lol

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.29.2011 | 9:40 AM ET

I disagree with you @lilspyder. Dominicks timing for his TD's since he won the BW title has been on the same level as GSP, he just doesn't hold people there as well. I for one think Benavidez is better than Faber, maybe not quite as much in the wrestling aspect, but i think his striking is better. Cruz is going to dominate this fight in all facets of MMA. I can't stand Faber mainly for his dislike of Cruz and i wasn't even a Cruz fan until he won the title (i know i'm a bandwagon fan). But he's always been respectful of all his opponents and his major beef with Faber comes from the fack that in their first fight he wasn't even on the WEC's poster for the fight. Quite frankly i'd be pretty pissed off about that as well. He took Benavidez down at will and Jorgenson, who many considered the best wrestler he's faced to date, down even easier throughout their fight. I think Urijah keeps it competitive for a round and a half before Cruz gets his timing down and wears his legs down like Aldo did...
Reeves
Reeves
  • Predictions:  778  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  225
  • Post Score: 139

03.29.2011 | 11:32 AM ET

Cruz is a really amazing fighter I hadn't really paid much attention to him until the first Benavidez fight and I assumed Cruz was going to lose since I think Benavidez is a really good fighter too but he surprised me in that fight. His takedown defense is really good and so is his striking and then he adds solid takedowns too which looks good in the judges eyes. I'm not too sure who will win the rematch but I'm leaning toward Cruz winning a decision, I wasn't very impressed with Faber in his last fight mostly the first round of it. I think Cruz will be able to out strike him with his hit and run style and he will also be way tougher to takedown than Wineland was.
The dislike Faber has for Cruz seems kind of stupid because it sounds like all he did was sign his name on pictures of Faber on the poster when they first fight which is a very small thing to get upset about.
lilspyder
lilspyder

03.29.2011 | 4:07 PM ET

ah bk I agree with you about the fact standup. If you noticed all I said was that if Faber takes Cruz down (unlikely) or if Cruz takes Faber down (probably) then I think it's Faber's world. Now I did not mention the standup game at all besides the fact that Cruz is faster. Don't worry about the bandwagon thing because I wasn't a fan until his fight before he fought for the title (I don't remember who he fought it might have been benevidez) after that though I was a huge fan. It's not just that he's fast he's got great hands and kicks, he doesn't gas and he does have the smoothest transition to takedowns behind GSP for sure. I just don't think he should stay there. And from what you see in his fights he doesn't really stay there long anywayz. I just think he shouldn't try to take faber down and just dominate in the standup

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.29.2011 | 4:17 PM ET

I've never liked or disliked Faber, but I certainly favor Cruz from a rational standpoint here, both in the fight and on the personal side of things. I both believe and hope he will smash Faber.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

03.29.2011 | 4:20 PM ET

i love faber but god damn it cruz is good!!!! his footwork is just straight up orgasmic and his speed is insane......urijah needs to take this to the ground and fast!!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

bklettke
bklettke

03.29.2011 | 4:21 PM ET

Perhaps i read into what your saying too much lilspyder - great points though. I think Faber off his back has nothing to offer but standing up, which he will do. If Faber wins, IMO it'll happen much like his first fight with 'Dominick, and that all started with a wild grappling scramble, its where he's brings his best game for sure. I'm not sure what to think of Dominicks top game quite yet, the guys who have gotten up when he's taken down are the best in the game at it. Benavidez is just as good as Faber when it comes to that and Jorgensen is near their caliber, but as he grew tired and frustrated he also kept him their longer. Maybe Cruzs strategy is to inflict damage as they scramble to stand it. FYI - he beat Benavidez before he fought Brian Bowels for the title, in which Bowels broke his hand and quite after two rounds. Funny thing is, Cruz had actually broken his hand and foot in that same fight and never showed a sign of it. Just shows he is tough as nails and i don't think Bowels is a ***** for calling the fight, he might even be smart for it. It wasn't his night, he knew it, and he didn't risk further injury forcing a longer layoff.
seanbio
seanbio
  • Predictions:  260  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 37

03.29.2011 | 4:37 PM ET

Faber got lucky in the first fight. He won't be as lucky when he can't even hit touch Cruz.

"Joe Silva could call Dan Miller at 3 in morning to tell him he's fighting Godzilla in an hour and he would take that fight."

lilspyder
lilspyder

03.29.2011 | 4:39 PM ET

this is very true bk but for this fight Cruz has to come with it because he's facing someone who is used to going 5 rounds too, so it may not be that easy to tire Faber out. I also believe that if Cruz takes Faber down, it will just be a scramble on Faber's part to get back up for sure. However, what if Faber takes Cruz down? This is a very hypothetical question because I don't see it happening but it is possible. Would you then say the odds are in Faber's favour?

bklettke
bklettke

03.29.2011 | 4:42 PM ET

Oh yeah definately, i would hope the majority of the MMA community would think the same, if Faber has someone on their back he's definately got the advantage. I think Cruz has the ability to stand up if it does go there. I honestly don't think Faber will get him on his back because i believe Benavidez to be a better fighter than Faber.... Either way it's a great fight and i'm uber stoked to see this thing.
michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

03.29.2011 | 5:22 PM ET

this fight could be very frustrating for either of the fighters depending on who implements their game plan best. If cruz can use his distance and speed he can make it a long night for Faber. Like wise, if Faber can use his takedowns and gnp cruz could be in for a long night.

"Frig off, bud"

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

03.29.2011 | 6:58 PM ET

I agree with DannontheMan.  Either Cruz wins by decision, or Faber wins in the other fashions possible.  I don't see Cruz knocking Faber out or submitting him.  Faber is the stronger guy.  I'm definitely not a Faber fan, but I actually hope he wins this fight for some reason.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

03.29.2011 | 7:34 PM ET

I think Urijah is much stronger then Cruz. Really I can see him grappling and wrestling Cruz to a Decision win.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

03.30.2011 | 10:11 AM ET

Faber's gonna have to work his takedowns from the clinch because I feel if he does shoot, he won't be able to grab Cruz.
lilspyder
lilspyder

03.30.2011 | 10:47 AM ET

I think your right Babywads because if he shoots cruz is fast enough to get out of the way or sprawl. But then it becomes can Faber even get cruz into the clinch? I mean it's probably safe to say that Cruz's game plan is to stay on the outside and pepper Faber so if Faber can get him into the clinch I'll be impressed. Having said this i'm probably wrong and we're all gonna see something completely different from what we're saying here. Beauty of MMA

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC plans to hit road more in 2024: 'We've got to get out of the Apex'
  • MMAFighting.com : One-time WBC title challenger Artur Szpilka has wild walkout at KSW 94, then gets iced in 14 seconds
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Confirms Jon Jones Will Face Stipe Miocic Not Alex Pereira, Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler Sets New Record In Gate Sales
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Joaquin Buckley after UFC on ESPN 56 win?
  • Bad Left Hook : Grading the Fury vs Usyk PPV undercard
  • MMA Mania : Khabib’s Next Opponent: The Russian Tax Service?
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren: If Alex Pereira fights Jon Jones, ‘there’s a chance it’s over in like two and a half minutes’
  • Middle Easy : Report: Khabib Nurmagomedov Owes Russian Government $3 Million Of Unpaid Taxes
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis wants a WWE side hustle, but not at the expense of his UFC career
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White rips Stephen Espinoza, reveals Conor McGregor’s return generating first $20M live gate for UFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 post-event facts: Derrick Lewis builds on knockout record, and is coming for more history
  • Middle Easy : Vasiliy Lomachenko TKO’s George Kambosos To Become Champion Again – (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : The Conor McGregor effect: Dana White confirms UFC 303 gate record at 'way over $20 million'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 Fight of the Night: Best photos from Trey Waters vs. Billy Goff in St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : ‘It Doesn’t Smell Bad At All’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card gets new addition
  • MMA Junkie : Video: KSW 94 delivers one of MMA's greatest walkouts ever – for a 14-second fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis explains why he threw his cup into the crowd after UFC St. Louis