Tapology Forums

What's the first MMA event you ever watched?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mike187
mike187
  • Predictions:  5,660  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,260
  • Post Score: 239

07.14.2012 | 4:28 PM ET

For me it was UFC 65, I remember seeing Jeff Monson and thinking he was going to murder Sylvia (for real), knowing nothing about MMA I was conviced just by the looks of the guy he was the greatest fighter of all time and anyone who stepped into the cage with him had to be out of their mind. Well the fight was pretty boring to me, Monson got owned, and I learned that looking like a guy who just shived his cellmate means absolutely nothing in the octagon. The next fight was the reason we bought the PPV, to see a Canadian fighter get a shot at the Champion, GSP vs. Matt Hughes, and it did not disapoint. GSP finnished Hughes in the second round to become the new UFC Welterweight champion and I was hooked. I havn't missed a PPV since, with a few exceptions, but that moment was the begining of my love affair with what now is my favorite sport.

Just interested to see if other people on this sites remember their's.

"He told me he was going to **** me, but was disappointed in himself when he could not get hard."

Responses

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

07.14.2012 | 5:39 PM ET

nice! i had watched a bunch of fights just when they were on spike for a while but had never ordered a ppv for a while. the first ppv i actually watched was UFC 100 so I guess i showed up a little late to the party haha. i was hooked every since and have only missed maybe 3 since

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

Jmad
Jmad
  • Predictions:  885  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 106

07.14.2012 | 5:46 PM ET

I watched UFC 1-5 on VHS back in the late 90's at my family's video store. I would go to the bar and watch the PPV's after awhile but the first PPV that I actually paid for was UFC 100.

"'I'm going to beat you to a living death." -Ken Shamrock on Tito"

ShankMasterFlex
ShankMasterFlex
  • Predictions:  3,216  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 208

07.14.2012 | 5:57 PM ET

I believe the first PPV I ordered and intended to watch was Couture-Liddell 2, UFC 52. That was an epic card, and some years ago now! I had seen the UFC when it came out, but didn't dig the NHB aspect. Years later I found the sport and how it had changed (rules), and I was hooked. That PPV in particular was awesome, not just because Chuck finally got the LHW strap, but that was Hughes-Trigg 2 as well. Watching that fight as it happened was insane... easily one of the best fights I have ever seen, even to this day.

"This will teach those filthy bastards who's lovable!" - Bender

vazio
vazio
  • Predictions:  17,417  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,205
  • Post Score: 225

07.14.2012 | 6:27 PM ET

i think it was UFC 12, and the rise of Vitor Belfort as champion in 1997, but i also remember watching the Gracie era videos around the same time, not sure what i've seen first. That card also had Wallid "the man who never blinks" Ismail against Takahashi, but i sincerely do not remember anything about this fight. amazing how this was almost 15 years ago.
ian729
ian729
  • Predictions:  24,135  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,235
  • Post Score: 259

07.14.2012 | 6:45 PM ET

UFC 91
WishIsHere
WishIsHere
  • Predictions:  24,429  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,003
  • Post Score: 232

07.14.2012 | 7:00 PM ET

First fight I saw on TV live was Rashad/Liddell and my roommate was like Liddell will KO him watch. Then we all know what happened. My roommate and I went:

First full event I watched I think was TUF 10 Finale where Jones ****** up Hammil and Roy Nelson won the finals. OH yeah and we got this amazing fight...

* Edited at 07.14.2012, 7:01 PM ET *

"I bought a Bruno mars cd once - gunn4206"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

07.14.2012 | 7:24 PM ET

the very first PPV they had and  i was living in lakewood washington state.
Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

07.14.2012 | 8:14 PM ET

UFC 1.  Not live, but rented on VHS to pop into my sweet top-loading VCR with a corded remote (Yeah, it was pimp in the day).  Then watched the first 20-30 or so as soon as they came out on tape from the one local video store that always got them in when they came out for rental.  I don't think I watched one live until the mid 30's when I purchased the first of a good 60 PPV's between UFC 30-100.  For some reason I waited until IFL Everett (6/1/07) to attend an event though, but now frequent local and national shows when I can.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

RockZ
RockZ
  • Predictions:  242  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  457
  • Post Score: 137

07.14.2012 | 9:10 PM ET

@Wish first live one I saw was 88 too, w/ my uncle and when Liddell fell he jumped off his couch and was just like "whoa, this dude's real."

"Sure the fight was fixed. I fixed it with a right hand. - George Foreman"

ufcchick2011
ufcchick2011
  • Predictions:  17,099  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,674
  • Post Score: 177

07.15.2012 | 2:50 AM ET

Ken Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz Il UFC 61

"The only way to guarantee failure is by giving up" Frank Mir

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  37,982  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

07.15.2012 | 3:00 AM ET

first event i watched  was ufc 47 chuck vs tito 1 been fan since .. first ppv i ordered was  ufc 60 hughes vs gracie and first mma event i saw live was KOTC freedom fight back in 07 i went there to watch my not at the time but  now my mma coach brett portieous fight ... and also on the card was mark bocek ,nick denis and tj grant who all picked up wins  its cool i got to see them fight before they got to the big show

* Edited at 07.15.2012, 3:01 AM ET *

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

07.15.2012 | 9:59 AM ET

I actually watched UFC 5 when I was like 10.  Video Rental, I remember finding the tournament format very interesting (I've always been a tournament junkie, no wonder I love Bellator!) and thinking this would be like another version of WWE, (which I loved back then). 

Then I saw how bloody Oleg Taktarov got and I realized this **** was actually real.  Oh, and Gracie/Shamrock 2 didn't exactly turn me onto the sport either.   I didn't watch another MMA event until I was 21.

Since growing up, the first event I watched was Elite XC: Primetime.  AKA, the show where the referee stopped the fight the instant Kimbo Slice was winning it.  How I stayed a fan after that, I'll never know, but I'm glad I did!

* Edited at 07.15.2012, 10:00 AM ET *

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

MedWonk
MedWonk
  • Predictions:  583  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  114
  • Post Score: 171

07.15.2012 | 10:32 AM ET

The first event I watched was the TUF finale with BJ Penn v Jens Pulver

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! There's still plenty of meat on that bone. Now, you take this home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato...baby, you got a stew goin'!"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

07.15.2012 | 10:32 AM ET

Good thread.The number of Tapology Mike's is on the rise.MikeLovesTaco's is the original as far as I know.

Straight from my Tapology profile:The first fight I watched was a re-run of Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes,My dad explained how Royce had his reign of dominance and used BJJ to beat people twice his size.I was hooked and soon I watched tons of old fights from the UFC and Pride and developed and understanding of the sport and the fighters.My first PPV was UFC 100 and I followed the sport from that day forward.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,850  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.15.2012 | 11:14 AM ET

I'm not sure exactly.  I was a casual fan for a while just watching random fights I could find online when I was bored every now and again before I became a hardcore fan.  The first full event I ordered and watched live was somewhere in the UFC 50's.  After that I started buying MMA DVD's like mad, so they all kind of blur together.

* Edited at 07.15.2012, 11:15 AM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.15.2012 | 1:14 PM ET

First fight I watched was Anderson Silva vs Forrest Griffin I think.

First event I watched while it was happening live was UFC 116.

First full event I watched (prelims and all) was UFC 124.

I really started becoming obsessed with the UFC with TUF 12.

"الله أكبرl"

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

07.15.2012 | 1:45 PM ET

ive known about ufc since the first ones came out on vhs . i was a huge wwf fan at the time and i remember seeing the box at the video store for the first 3 ufc's and seeing ken shamrock and tank abbott on the back and wanting to rent them but couldnt cause my mom wouldnt rent them for me :p so i never got to get into the sport till i got older and was able to afford cable and internet. i remember hearing about chuck lidell on the radio and comercials and hearing on the radio about rampage getting pulled over by cops in a monster truck with his face on  it. i think that happened in AZ . so i became a chuck lidell fan and started following him on the net. the first fight  i remember watching was when rampage beat lidell for the belt. i had quit watching wwe a few years earlier but brock lessner was set to fight some asian guy which i thought was cool so i watched his fight in dream and became hooked.the first full event i watched was ufc 100 i couldnt afford it so i torrented it. because it was so awesome i had to watch. the first ufc i bought was lesner vs carwin. and ive been watching all free ufc card and some ppvs ever since ufc 100. sorry for the wall of text im bored at the hospital and using my phone to type lol.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Anderton Silav
Anderton Silav
  • Predictions:  2,728  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  41
  • Post Score: 220

07.15.2012 | 2:19 PM ET

No kidding, my first live event was also UFC 116!

I'm not sure what the first fight I ever saw was, maybe Anderson vs Rich Frankin or Forrest? It was all precipitated by buying UFC Undisputed 2009, prior to that I had no knowledge of MMA, but as soon as I bought that I got very interested and started researching and watching MMA, old and new.

I watched UFC 1 and 4 and 8 and so on in their entirety online, and that really gave me an appreciation for how much things have changed in such a relatively short period of time, and how many common ideas about toughness are false, like huge muscular guys being the toughest, scariest people in a fight.

Most of those websites I used to watch full old events on have been taken down sadly, and I sometimes ask myself if I could become a fan now  with the current availability of stuff online. I don't think Zuffa is doing itself a favour by taking everything down with their army of lawyers, anyway I digress. I have been watching pretty religiously ever since UFC116.

"YEAH!! Well you wouldn't talk to me that way if I had a Lightsaber man!"

Naumann0101
Naumann0101
  • Predictions:  312  |  67.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 100

07.15.2012 | 2:29 PM ET

I had seen some fights back on Spike (GSP vs Hughes II, TUF Season 3) when my brother was watching but it didn't really interest me. However, when I really got addicted was when I watched an old Pride DVD, Final Conflict 2005. In which Crocop vs Fedor was one of the bouts. Till this day, it is one of the greatest fights I have ever seen. From there my obsession with this awesome sport has grown and some ways helped improve my life. I got into Jiu-Jitsu to further understand and appreciate the ground game in which I'm now a brown belt :). I'm a regular Triathlete thanks to Nick Diaz insane endurance. MMA is the best.

"Goldberg: "He's like the Michael Jordan of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu!" Rogan: "No he's not" Goldberg: "Exactly. Right Joe.""

kibj411
kibj411

07.15.2012 | 5:10 PM ET

Well the first event I watched was the Ultimate Fighter season 1 finale which was one hell of an introduction. But when I saw UFC 75 with the title merger between Hendo and Rampage I became a major fan. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Mentally Unwell’ Strickland Admits Struggles, Violent Thoughts
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 239 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Feel Like Makhachev Wants To Avoid Us’
  • MMA Junkie : Thiago Moises knows how to wreck a leg – and crush a Dan Hooker callout, too
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Sean Strickland vents mental health struggles: 'I feel like I'm a danger to people'
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Am Not Able To Get A Job’
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Is Worried About Mike Tyson’s Health In Jake Paul Boxing Match: ‘He Shouldn’t Be Fighting Anymore’
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Doesn’t Remember Round Two Against Anthony Joshua, Claims Boxing ‘Owes Him Something’
  • Bad Left Hook : Tszyu vs Fundora for WBO and WBC belts, PPV undercard adds another title fight
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: Steve Erceg good name but 'so lucky' to get UFC 301 title shot
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Mike Davis explains how 'Halo' video game helped overcome childhood bullying: 'That saved my life'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor coach unsure why fighter remains un-booked, calls situation ‘weird’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Motherf—ker’s A Fakeass B—ch. Chito Sucks. F—k Him’
  • UFC.com : Fight-By-Fight Preview | UFC Fight Night: Ribas vs Namajunas
  • MMA Junkie : Kamaru Usman: Belal Muhammad 'only thing that makes sense' for UFC champ Leon Edwards
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker Lays Out ‘Picture Perfect’ Return Fight, Stance On Champ Dricus Du Plessis
  • MMAFighting.com : Francis Ngannou has ‘no regrets’ about Anthony Joshua fight: ‘I really don’t see a thing that I should have done different’
  • MMA Mania : ‘There’s No Denying’ Carmouche Is ‘Top Girl’ ... But ‘Don’t Underestimate’ Ditcheva
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC Fight Night: Ribas vs Namajunas
  • MMA Junkie : Chelsea Chandler: 'Week from Hell' led to UFC Fight Night 239 weight miss – complete with attempted home break-in