Topic: Rua vs. Vera

Rua vs. Vera

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,673  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,585
  • Post Score: 60

06.10.2012 | 2:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Rua   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Rua vs. Vera. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 5

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

08.05.2012 | 3:11 PM ET

@sgtblack79  Not a bad analysis, I suppose.  That would certainly explain last night's experience.  You make Dana White sound like B. T. Barnum or WC Fields.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

sgtblack79
sgtblack79

08.05.2012 | 6:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct Rua   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

@Bill: Well I don't see the UFC going as far as Pride did with PT Barnum style fights. i.e.: Fedor vs Baby Zulu. However, Dana White is a promoter at heart. He's also a fantastic business man who has turned the UFC into the enormously successful enterprise we have the privelege of watching today. He most certainly has his moments of ridiculosity, but overall, I give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to running the show. I enjoy the majority of the product he puts out there. No, the shogun/Vera fight wasn't what I expected to see, but I, along with most viewers, enjoyed watching it. That's really all that matters in the end.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

08.05.2012 | 8:44 PM ET

I have to agree with you, sgt.  Dana has done a good job, overall.  It would be strange if I agreed with everything he does or believes, but overall, I have to agree that he's done a very good job.

Whenever I doubt it, all I have to do is watch any other organization, and I hate it.  When I see an MMA organization that uses a ramp, with dancing girls, I cringe and hate it passionately.  Dana has done away with any Vegas style BS and crap.  All that cheesy production values made me puke.

Dana more than anyone else has elevated MMA far, far above Pride productions, Strikeforce productions, and Bellator.  We have it right.  I like Rogan/Goldberg over any competing MMA announcers.  I like Bruce Buffer better than any other Master of Ceremonies.  (Wish he were legally allowed to say, "Let's Get Ready to Rummmmmbllleee!)

I think our camera men, our Ring Girls, our presentation is spot on and the best.  So, I do give Dana White credit for all those things.  I think we have the best weigh-ins, and Dana is giving us a whole lot of free MMA on Fuel, FX, Channel 2, and free Prelims.

So, I give Dana a standing ovation for all these things done right.  He lives out of his suitcase on our behalf, seems to be everywhere, never misses a PPV event, Fuel event, FX event, Channel 2 event, a weigh-in, pre-fight or post fight press conference, etc.  He's there for all the TUF shows.  I tip my hat to Mr. Dana White, the greatest MMA impresario ever.

And that's just the **** I've read about.  God only knows what he accomplishes every day that he never mentions.

If any other human tried to sustain his schedule, they'd be burned out in 30 days and quit.

* Edited at 08.05.2012, 8:46 PM ET *

japanese steel
japanese steel
  • Predictions:  6,720  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  114
  • Post Score: 311

08.05.2012 | 9:12 PM ET

I don't much care for the fireworks and dancing girls stuff anymore. You gotta admit that the PRIDE era of pomp and circumstance was awesome and worked at the time. It made the cards feel so epic.

"**** this ****"

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

08.05.2012 | 9:25 PM ET

I think that focusing on the MMA without all of the extra crap is what finnaly helped push it into the mainstream. It separaded it enough from fake wrestling and shows and made it look like a sport. Dana white has played a large part in this. Now any new organization that wants to be taken serious takes after the clean cut UFC model.
sgtblack79
sgtblack79

08.06.2012 | 1:44 PM ET

Yea Bill, we agree on that.  It's really all I was getting at.  We ***** alot because as people we can usually find something to complain about, but it could be a whole lot worse indeed.

@japanese steel: sure, some of those crazy Pride matchups had their moments.  They will always hold a place in my heart.  That's really more of a cultural thing though.  The Japanese love the antics and theatrics in fighting.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

08.06.2012 | 3:34 PM ET

Agreed and understood, sgt.  Considering all he does, there seems to be 3 Dana Whites.  I wonder if he's found a way to clone himself?

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Robelis Despaigne sees himself fighting for UFC heavyweight title in 2025
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 poster released showing return of Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan’s Coach Doesn’t Believe #1 Contender Is Ready To Dethrone Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean O’Malley’s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz Boxing Match Moved From June 1 to July 6 in Anaheim
  • MMAFighting.com : Muhammad Mokaev faces Manel Kape at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Mokaev Vs. Kape In The Works For UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Pokes Fun at Islam Makhachev’s Performance on Punching Machine Ahead of UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO Group Holdings suffered net loss of $249.5 million in 2024 first quarter largely due to UFC antitrust settlement