Tapology Forums

Tough ratings for TUF?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Godzilla
Godzilla
  • Predictions:  838  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 219

05.22.2012 | 12:59 AM ET

Just saw all the headlines on the low ratings on this seasons TUF.  I've watched them all and was happpy with the fights.  The problem is that people want more drama.  Its just that simple! 

I'm curious who y'all would like to see as the new coach or coaches for next season.  My opinion is get Nick Diaz!  I know he's suspended but people watch him.

"Every man dies - Not every man really lives."

Responses

RazelThePhoenix
RazelThePhoenix
  • Predictions:  1,019  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  122
  • Post Score: 109

05.22.2012 | 1:04 AM ET

Thats whats wrong with people today, they don't appreciate the good, if not great fights this season. I have watched all episodes of this season and think it has been the best one in awhile, for the fights. The drama part of it has been bad because everyone there has respect for one another, the only ones that don't are the coaches and they stopped doing things after the first few episodes. 
Godzilla
Godzilla

05.22.2012 | 1:17 AM ET

Agreed!  I've noticed alot of my Wrestling fanatic friends liked other seasons better.  I personally prefer the kind of ass kickings I've seen this season. There have been upsets and guys just going all out. 

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

05.22.2012 | 1:21 AM ET

tuf will end in the next few years if they dont seriously change everything up

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

05.22.2012 | 1:27 AM ET

i think to be honest is from the lack of intensity from the coaches. sure they are  "rivals" but there is no heat like when Mayhem and Bisping did it and especially when Rashad and Rampage did it.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

Superowl
Superowl
  • Predictions:  22  |  59.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 200

05.22.2012 | 6:08 AM ET

yeah i agree, i have loved this seasons TUF, it is defenatly because there is no drama, and the coaches havent really had a good go at one another
Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

05.22.2012 | 6:30 AM ET

Drama builds the fights, it's like in-house hype.

"I Get Better."

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

05.22.2012 | 6:31 AM ET

Nick is banned for a year isn't he? So he'll not make next season.

"I Get Better."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

05.22.2012 | 6:32 AM ET

The coaches need to hate eachother for the casual fans to watch. Ortiz/Shamrock, Liddell/Ortiz, Koscheck/GSP, Rampage/Rashad, Mayhem/Bisping.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.22.2012 | 6:33 AM ET

I kind of think they should can the live format, maybe its just me though.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.22.2012 | 6:34 AM ET

Bonnar has been rallying to coach next season alongside Forrest. I love that idea! That could draw some viewers! the two guys from the very 1st season who put MMA on the map in the finale coaching 7-8 years later? That would be really cool to see, I think it would be good for casuals but also great for the hardcore fans to.

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

05.22.2012 | 10:47 AM ET

Bonnar vs. Griffin would be an awesome idea!   I'd be happy to see that one!

Yeah, the problems with this season's ratings are caused by a few things:

1) New network.  It's not on Spike anymore, but on FX.  I don't even get FX on my TV, so I have had to go to MMAcore to watch all the episodes.  I'm sure some others have had that problem, and some causal fans might not even know TUF is still on the air, just on a new channel.

2) Friday night.  Not exactly the best night to air a show like TUF.  The core audience for this show is like the 18-39 year old males.  A lot of them are out and about on Friday night, not sitting on the couch watching TUF.

3) Lack of drama or characters.  As a few others have mentioned, this has got to be one of the most campy and happy times seasons ever, (which I kinda like and find refreshing for a change).  Drama sells, and this season hasn't had much of it.  Especially since Tickle got eliminated.  There also haven't been many memorable participants this time out either.  Other than a few exceptions, (Tickle, Chiesa, Ogle, etc.), most of these people will be quickly forgotten.  I think that's more on a lot of interesting people getting eliminated without entering the house.  Guys like Chase Hackett (mustache guy), Jordan Rinaldi (big time Christian and also very highly regarded before the show), and Dakota Cochran (gay **** guy) all got knocked out early, so those were characters we never got to enjoy.

4. The Live format.  I think this has thrown the show off a bit and I think it's definitely turned a few people off on the show altogether.  It just feels a little weird now.  Especially the premier when they crammed 16 fights in one night and thus had to do 1, 5 minute round.  Ridiculous and it definitely threw the fighters off.  And also didn't help the coaches with evaluations.  I mean, look at the final 4.  Other than Iaquinta, all of the finalists were among the last 8 people picked.  That's a sign that the coaches didn't get enough time to properly evaluate these guys. 

5. It's season 15 of the show.  TUF's been around a very long time, most TV shows don't make it to 10 seasons, let alone 15.  Over time, ratings will naturally go down the longer the show airs.  

All that said, I'm still enjoying this one a lot!  Hoping TUF Live can turn it around in future seasons, though I think a lot of changes will be needed

* Edited at 05.22.2012, 10:50 AM ET *

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

tonystyles21
tonystyles21
  • Predictions:  1,012  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 100

05.22.2012 | 11:59 AM ET

ppl do want more drama, but i dont really think that is the jist of it all....i think the problem is, ITS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT.....that is the problem.....i have not watched one TUF show this season and i only seen them on my dvr....all the other seasons i watched them all on the day of the showing........so get rid of the friday nights, change it to thursday, i work on fridays so i would not be going out picking up women and watch the shows
Godzilla
Godzilla

05.22.2012 | 6:28 PM ET

Thats right Tony. I kept saying that I hadn't missed an episode but what I meant is I always watch them off DVR.  Friday is a terrible day for the show.  The whole Nick Diaz was just hypothetical. I know he'll be out for a year but maybe if someone convinces Dana White then maybe that will be part of the probation...

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

05.22.2012 | 6:48 PM ET

@StephanBonnar & @ForrestGriffin 
#Rally4TufCoaches

sent and now y'all should

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

haven
haven
  • Predictions:  94,655  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,030
  • Post Score: 188

05.22.2012 | 6:56 PM ET

gsp vs jon jones

"i like mma and the tapology"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.22.2012 | 7:47 PM ET

well i don't know about y'all, but I aint staying home on Friday for nothing.

* Edited at 05.22.2012, 7:47 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

05.24.2012 | 12:05 AM ET

what about the coaches

Nate Diaz and the Edgar vs Henderson winner?

RazelThePhoenix
RazelThePhoenix

05.24.2012 | 1:07 AM ET

for caches i would like to see Anderson and Chael that season would be the best, too bad they are fighting too soon.
StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

05.24.2012 | 1:10 AM ET

You never know Razel, if Sonnen wins this fight and it's a really close one, the odds on having a 3rd fight would be good I would think.  

Silva vs. Sonnen on TUF........ that would be epic!  

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

RazelThePhoenix
RazelThePhoenix

05.24.2012 | 1:11 AM ET

it really would, just thinking about what Chael would say it is already making me laugh

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for April: A thrilling battle for the BMF belt
  • MMA Junkie : Kevin Borjas: 'Alessandro Costa is now Mexican ... he'll be fighting as a visitor' at UFC 301 in Brazil
  • MMA Mania : Rematch! Prochazka ‘Most Likely’ Next For Pereira
  • MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano: 'I don't think it was very smart' for Alexandre Pantoja to fight Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Top prospect Losene Keita explains turning down multiple offers from UFC, PFL: ‘I know my worth’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: 'Nasty bastard' Alexandre Pantoja has no weak areas, beats Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 poster released featuring Makhachev vs. Poirier, Strickland vs. Costa
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya ‘Definitely Going To Sue For Defamation’ After Canelo Spat
  • Bad Left Hook : Ennis vs Crowley official for July 13 in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Jaron Ennis vs Cody Crowley official for July 13th in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Hughie Fury joins May 11 McCaskill vs Price show
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker confident he'll handle Khamzat Chimaev's wrestling in UFC Saudi Arabia showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski calls Jose Aldo featherweight GOAT ahead of UFC 301: 'He's how a champion should be'
  • MMA Mania : ‘12 Gauge’ Unloads On ‘Piece Of S—t’ Danis After Alleged Affair Claims