Tapology Forums

Newbie here could use some help.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.18.2012 | 10:59 AM ET

Hey guys this is my first post here on Tapology.I just have a few simple questions (I know I should shut-up noobs are annoying)

Questions:
1.Is this posted in the right place?
2.I'm a former Sherdogger I think I joined that site in early 2011,I believe I had 250 or so posts. (This site's pretty loved by them) I got banned for a dumb reason mainly because the mods lack good judgement and are very inconsistent and give infractions almost at random.I promise I'll be good lol.Anyway if any of you have used Sherdog how similar are the forums?
3.I read the rules pretty quickly and I was wondering if there is any things the mods here really dislike so I can stay out of trouble?Obviously I wont curse,be racist,troll,or bash fighters.
4.What is the best way to navigate the forums?
5.Any personal tips for a new poster?

Oh unrelated but I'm attending UFC on FX 3.Which is my first event.Super excited about it.War McCall

* Edited at 05.18.2012, 11:18 AM ET *

Responses

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.18.2012 | 11:02 AM ET

@MadMike welcome man!

"Obviously I wont curse,be racist,troll,or bash fighters." Just don't do this and you'll be great here...cussing isn't frowned upon really either...Also don't get personal with other posters if you do get into a disagreement

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

05.18.2012 | 11:05 AM ET

1. yes
2. Never been to sherdog didnt care much for what I saw on forums there
3. Well calling fighters names as well as other members will usually get you warnings, and if it doesn't stop suspensions usually follow
4. Right now there is no way to search for posts so you just have to scroll through the pages
5. Just have fun!

Welcome to the best MMA site around!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.18.2012 | 11:05 AM ET

1. It's posted in the right place but you could always ask a member for help on their comment board, located on their profile.
2. Tapology forums are not like Sherdog forums, the majority of our community has souls and the site's moderators will deal with every problem and give out the proper punishments. Our community's fairly peaceful because our moderators are always on top of the bad members, trolls don't last very long here.
3. You can curse but racism, spam, bashing fighters and insulting other members are against the rules and they will suspend you if you break the rules. The suspension length will increase every time you get suspended (or depending on what you do, something things are worse than others).
4. The first page is perfectly fine, the most active threads are always on the first page.
5. Just keep on posting and if you really wanna entrench yourself in the community, join one of the many games offered. Oh and try to pick as many fights are you can.

Welcome to Tapology.

"الله أكبرl"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

05.18.2012 | 11:14 AM ET

Welcome!

There is only one "main" forum, and you can post anything here, there are no MMA/UFC restrictions. You can use sub forums for fighters/events/bouts but it is not required, it just makes your thread better, you will see why. 

This is nothing like Sherdog, at all. Just say what you want man and you will learn that over time, as long as you are respectful. 

As far as navigating you can find threads by going to the TS page and going to threads they have started. You can also organize the forum by the most active threads of the week/month/all-time. As well as the most liked. 

Pick all the fights!!!!
MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.18.2012 | 11:14 AM ET

Thanks guys

Well that was easy 4 legit quick non-troll responses.Like this site already.Anyone who reply's after this can just answer question #5

* Edited at 05.18.2012, 11:19 AM ET *

wake99
wake99
  • Predictions:  20,593  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,334
  • Post Score: 282

05.18.2012 | 11:27 AM ET

Welcome MadMikeXD!
You nickname reminds me of MikeLovesTacos XD haha!

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,257  |  71.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.18.2012 | 11:32 AM ET

Welcome @MadMike, another tip from me would be if you want to get rid of your white belt do some rankings. You can either make the 39 offical rankings or design a new one. This should get you enough points for the orange belt if you are willing to make them all. It's not that important though, just have fun on the forums or in the fightcenter and pick a few fights...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.18.2012 | 11:38 AM ET

Welcome Madmike, pretty much what should be said has been said. Just enjoy yourself and pick some of tonight's events

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.18.2012 | 11:40 AM ET

To be perfectly honest the threads are easier to navigate on sherdog than they are here because threads are divided according to topic on sherdog and here they are not. On tapology threads are listed according to which thread was posted in most recently, which means that if you want to post in a thread that has not been hot that day you will have to dig for it.
The culture here is much different, and miles better. There is banter, and the occasional calling each other and *******, but in general everyone here is cool, and happy about the fact that we all like mma. My experience on sherdog was that most threads turn into competitions to prove who is in the right, and of trying to make the other posters look/feel stupid. We don't really have that here.

Welcome aboard. The mods here are very fair, and will give you warnings about what not to do before punishing you. (unless you go crazy) But don't **** with the mods, because that's not cool.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

05.18.2012 | 11:42 AM ET

Welcome @MadMike! You'll find that Tapology is pretty relaxed. We're just a bunch of guys and gals talking MMA. 

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.18.2012 | 12:50 PM ET

Thanks for the tips working on some rankings now.

Oh and the upvote feature is really cool.
Just like Reddit.

* Edited at 05.18.2012, 12:52 PM ET *

logan48227
logan48227
  • Predictions:  2,214  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  136
  • Post Score: 201

05.18.2012 | 12:55 PM ET

Welcome MadMike!

Tapology feels more like a group of people conversing rather than a typical Internet forum with 10 keyboard warriors for every quality poster. Just have fun, follow some posters here that you like (Wolfmanhowl, SoccerKick, & Swickotine come to mind), NEVER pick a fighter with that generic Chuck Norris pic next to their name (unless both guys have that pic, in which case its a toss up), and you'll do well.

"You have respect, you don't lose your teeth"

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.18.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

Welcome aboard MadMikeXD. All I can fit in for right now, I'm running late for an important appointment. Tapology is by far the best site, and it's nice to be apart of the best community.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Anik
Anik

05.18.2012 | 1:07 PM ET

@logan48227 "NEVER pick a fighter with that generic Chuck Norris pic next to their name" well that strategy hasn't been working out for you now, has it?

"الله أكبرl"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.18.2012 | 1:11 PM ET

I understand that you get points and stuff from picking fights but I really don't think I should pick fights were I am clueless AKA most of the cards you can pick from.Example:

Smelly Terrible Men In Cage Fighting Championships of Doom

Fighter A
Name-Skunk Rogers
Record - 2-327
Gym-Stephen Hawkings MMA

Fighter B
Name-Fungus Jones
Record-3-372
Gym-Lifestyles Women's Fitness MMA

I would rather have a good Win/Loss ratio than get belts by picking these fights.

Is that a bad idea?
Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.18.2012 | 1:14 PM ET

@MadMike, I have always said do whatever makes the experience more enjoyable for you whether it be picking only the major promotions or picking every event possible just do what is more enjoyable to you

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.18.2012 | 1:15 PM ET

when you see Brandon Thatch and Kody Nordy just pick them to win. when you see bob sapp. pick him to lose in first round. you have to decide if its either by tko or sub. 
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

05.18.2012 | 1:16 PM ET

@MadMike pick whatever fights you want man...Have fun on the site how you want to if you want to pick just UFC fights then do that...There are some competitions on the site that involve picking more fights, but there are many great members here who don't come close to picking everything

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

logan48227
logan48227
  • Predictions:  2,214  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  136
  • Post Score: 201

05.18.2012 | 1:29 PM ET

@AnikM I was just kidding.

In retrospect, I should have put a LOL or something by it, but it was just a joke. People should just pick whoever they feel like picking.

"You have respect, you don't lose your teeth"

Anik
Anik

05.18.2012 | 1:45 PM ET

@logan48227 fair enough.

If you need help picking randomass fights, here's some tips:
1. Pick Brandon Thatch via round 1 KO
2. Pick whoever is against Bob Sapp via a round 1 finish (either KO or sub, that's the hard part)
3. Pick Kevin Walker via round 1 sub
4. Pick Kody Nordby
5. Pick Shino Vanhoose
6. Pick against Lena Oyvhkhlkchdqoinnqwhateverthe****thatevil*****'snameis
7. Copy wake99's picks if the card is happening in Quebec

* Edited at 05.18.2012, 1:48 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Luiza Monteiro Announces Retirement At IBJJF World Championship 2024
  • Jits Magazine : Nicholas Meregali Proposes His Own Event To 4 Other Competitors
  • Jits Magazine : Joao Gabriel Rocha Announced For Craig Jones Invitational
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: BMF Holloway Vs. Chandler? ‘The Show Must Go On!’ Even With Missing Mac
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Matthews hates decision wins like UFC 302, but wants a test vs. Neil Magny
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : No Time For BS! Harrison ‘Carried PFL On My Back’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC CEO Dana White reveals next BMF title fight is being worked on
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Releases Statement Following Press Event Cancelation, Ariel Helwani Sheds Additional Light on the Situation
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland blames 'awkward' UFC 302 fight on Paulo Costa: 'What the f*ck are we doing here?'
  • MMA Mania : Usman And Poirier Would ‘Push Each Other To The Brink’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier urges Dustin Poirier not to retire after UFC 302: 'He's got a lot of money to be made'
  • MMAFighting.com : Randy Brown reveals he ‘destroyed’ foot barely 1 minute into UFC 302: ‘That’s my luck’
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Believes Dustin Poirier Has Plenty Left in the Gas Tank: ‘He Can Do This For a Long Time’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexa Grasso perplexed by Valentina Shevchenko's claim of theme change for UFC 306 at Sphere
  • UFC.com : Meet TUF Coach Valentina Shevchenko | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Valentina Shevchenko Talks TUF 32 | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : Reports, Speculation Signal McGregor ‘Minor Injury’
  • UFC.com : Meet TUF Coach Alexa Grasso | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Daniel Rodriguez Banking On UFC ‘War’ With Kelvin Gastelum: ‘The Bigger The Name…’