Tapology Forums

Royce Gracie Set For Another UFC Return?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,473  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

03.11.2011 | 12:24 PM ET

http://cagepages.com/2011/03/11/royce-gracie-set-for-another-ufc-return/

"Over at MMAMania.com, the staff has made an interesting find. MMA legend and jiu jitsu ace Royce Gracie is once again listed as an active member of the UFC roster. Gracie is listed under middleweights on the UFC site. What could this mean for the original UFC tournament champion’s future? Is Gracie prepping himself for a return to the octagon?

Gracie has not fought in the UFC since May of 2006 when he suffered a first-round TKO loss to Matt Hughes. Gracie has only had one fight since then — a unanimous decision victory at K-1 HERO’s in June of 2007 over Kazushi Sakuraba.

It has long been rumored that Gracie could be featured on the UFC in Brazil card, when the organization travels to Rio de Janeiro. Gracie stated he would like to return to fight on the card at a press conference saying, “I’m still thinking (on fighting in Rio). But I’m always training. This return of UFC to Brazil touched me, made me feel the wish of coming back to the Octagon. Everything has been negotiated with Dana White. Let’s wait and see.”

Are you ready to see the winner of three out of the first UFC tournaments return to the cage again? Who would be a good matchup at middleweight, and most importantly, what does he have left to offer?"

Found this article and decided to share, so what do you all think?

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

03.11.2011 | 12:27 PM ET

I dunno... he's clearly not a modern-day UFC fighter.  He's a pioneer and a legend, and deserves tons of respect.  Yet we all saw what happened when he took on Matt Hughes 4 years ago.

As a cool novelty match, with the UFC coming back to its ancestral home in Brazil, I guess it's cool.  I don't really love the idea though.

"I live, I die, I live again."

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

03.11.2011 | 12:40 PM ET

Hey this directly relates to my post yesterday about GSP. anyway Royce and the gracies single handedly built mma, but i really dont think Royce, at age 44 should be fighting, Huges destroyed him. Maybe some kinda of exhibition match or something but i dont see the angle Dana would play with this one. Maybe its just a honoring thing like strikeforce did with Frank?

"fresh outta Oakland..."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.11.2011 | 1:30 PM ET

I am not too intrested seeing Royce Gracie fight again. He is old, out of his prime, one dimentional and unevolved compared to the modern fighter. I Know Dan Sevren has stated he wanted to come back to the UFC for a rematch with Royce. I believe this would be one of the few exciting and relevent matches you could put Royce in for a novelty fight in the UFC. However with the enourmous weight difference and UFC being regulated ALOT more these days I highly doubt this would happen

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.11.2011 | 2:46 PM ET

Yeah I heard about this.  Of course Royce is a legend and has my utmost respect, but he had nothing to offer Matt Hughes years ago so what would he have to offer today's UFC fighters?  This would just be another freak show fight that Dana says the UFC is so against, just like they don't sign fighters coming off of losses, blah blah..

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.11.2011 | 2:59 PM ET

this will be nothing but entertainment. no competition here..

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

03.11.2011 | 3:07 PM ET

i wud like to see him fight someone like  demian maia.............really test maia's bjj,which seems pretty top notch,other than that i cant see any other fights i'd like to see involving royce

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.11.2011 | 3:27 PM ET

@jeffacke, that would be interesting but mmaweekly just announced that Maia is fighting Munoz at ufc 131. the royce vs maia fight would thus be unlikely.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

seanbio
seanbio
  • Predictions:  260  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 37

03.11.2011 | 4:08 PM ET

Chael Sonnen, Chris Leben or Mario Miranda...

"Joe Silva could call Dan Miller at 3 in morning to tell him he's fighting Godzilla in an hour and he would take that fight."

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

03.11.2011 | 4:18 PM ET

I have this insane idea.
Put him against Renzo.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

03.11.2011 | 8:29 PM ET

Pele!

"We Are All One"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.11.2011 | 8:42 PM ET

I think bringing him back in to the scene for training would be the best solution having him fight to me isnt that amusing. Hes a legend dont get me wrong just not someone who I can see winning a fight in todays MMA
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

03.11.2011 | 11:27 PM ET

No offence He is a legend and all but if Royce Gracie came back to the UFC he would get absolutly hammered he would get smashed....

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Duffee, Hunt Suffer TKO Injuries At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry on fiery Darren Till callout: ‘He’s talking his sh*t but he ain’t doing nothing’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Program total passes $25 million
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 55 with rare Mumford & Sons, Led Zeppelin, Eminem Curse
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : ‘Platinum’ Got Paid! (KnuckleMania 4 Salaries Revealed)
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes Short-Notice UFC History
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes UFC history
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Video! McGregor Drops ‘Huge’ News At KnuckleMania 4