Tapology Forums

Shogun vs JJ Situational Opinions: Fight Prediction

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ourick76
ourick76
  • Predictions:  7,247  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  427
  • Post Score: 135

03.11.2011 | 5:45 AM ET

STANDING:  I believe Shogun has the advantage here with his power and agression.  I know JJ's reach is astronomical, and his counter-punch is very alert and effective, however, I don't think he is now facing an elite 205lb guy in the stand-up game.

TAKEDOWNS:  JJ has a clear advantage, I truely believe if JJ can take Shogun down, he will smother with his deceptively punishing ground-n-pound.  I see JJ using takedowns in his gameplan, I see Rua wanting to stick with striking.

GRAPPLING:  JJ on athleticism gets the nod.  JJ is so darn lanky and is very very good at using his length to the disadvantage of his foe.  I really don't see the dirty boxing being a factor, especially with JJ and his reach.  Shogun may play this game and attempt to bully JJ to the fence and work for a takedown, but I would be suprised. 

JITZ:  Shogun has the advantage. I don't see this match ending in submission, but I do think Shogun will be able to use his ground game to keep him out of dangers way for the most part.

With that being said, I am takingSHOGUN via TKO/KO Round 2.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Rick

"I came here to do two things: drink some beer...and kick some ass...and I'm about out of beer!"

Responses

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

03.11.2011 | 5:47 AM ET

Shogun has to actually get to Jones to deliver the strikes.

"I Get Better."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.11.2011 | 6:04 AM ET

There are many parts of this fight that are so intriguing. Reach vs powerful and technical striking and of course Jone's wrestling and top game vs Shoguns BJJ. I think if Shogun wins the fight it's by TKO and i think he'll be trying to use more leg/body kicks to stay outside of Jones reach and takedowns in the first round. Shogun has never actually submitted anyone in his MMA career and Jones won't be the first. His ground game is improving dramatically with each fight and he's very very good at locating and listening to his corner for advice while he's on the ground and in control. I think Jones will take a good shot on the feet sometime during this fight, but it won't slow his awesome TD's and i'm predicting he'll end this fight like he did the Janitor - only a few rounds later.

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

03.11.2011 | 6:22 AM ET

I think Jones is gonna look to catch some kicks and work towards the TD.  From the ground I think he's gonna be too much for Shoguns BJJ and eventually end the fight via TKO.  If he can't get the fight to the ground, or can't control Shogun on the ground, I think he's gonna be very careful on the feet.  He's probably going to stand out of range and counter strike until a decision.
TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

03.11.2011 | 8:23 AM ET

Yea i really dont see Jones standing with shogun at this point in his career, and Greg Jackson will make sure to develop a game plan that keeps Jonny Bones out of the most danger. He will look to take shogun down immediately. I see shogun wants to stay outside with leg kicks and wear him down for the later rounds, using his aggression to get in and out on Bones. Jones is wrestling is great but Shogun has an amazing guard and submitted Kevin Randleman in the first round off his back (@Bklette)

"fresh outta Oakland..."

bklettke
bklettke

03.11.2011 | 8:34 AM ET

Very nice, i completely forgot about that one. I actually checked his profile and must've passed over it. I think Jones will continue to suprise everyone he fights in just how strong he is until his frame is too big to compete at LHW anymore. Can you imagine being underneath him when he's in side control? The leverage he must be able to produce with that frame and wrestling backround has to be insane. I just can't see Shogun being able to withstand it.
TownStar
TownStar

03.11.2011 | 8:44 AM ET

i too agree that Bones' size and top game can be deadly to anyone in the LHW division, shogun wont want to be there, i dont think anyone in the ufc wants to be there, especially if your Hamils eye socket. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

03.11.2011 | 9:17 AM ET

This fight becomes harder and harder to pick everyday! Jones has never faced in the cage/ring or probably sparring that is as aggressive with their striking as Shogun is...Shogun has faced big strong wrestlers before (Randleman, Coleman), but not sure he's seen someone as explosive as Jones...I see Shogun wearing out Jones with his leg kicks and as Jones starts to lose his explosivness Shogun will start to come inside where he can finish the fight with punches and knees...Shogun TKO rd 3 or 4...won't be surprised to see Jones win via stoppage either though!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

TownStar
TownStar

03.11.2011 | 9:23 AM ET

just checked in the lines for the fight, looks like those crazy bookies have it at JJ -210 and Shogun at +170, damn i should have taken that action when they had Shogun at like +300... ive been trying to tame the evil gambleasaur that lives inside me so ive held off.... 
I think in the real world the lines are lot more even, though Shogun is coming off surgery and a long lay off.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

bklettke
bklettke

03.11.2011 | 10:10 AM ET

The closer the fight gets the closer the lines get. Everyone has initially picked Jones to win by destruction, but we should all know better, Shogun is the real ******* deal. It's either Jones by GnP or Shogun by brutal KO!
HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

03.11.2011 | 10:38 AM ET

As far as predictions on this fight go, it's basically a coin flip.  Jones' athleticism vs Rua's skill and experience.  Jones' inexperience vs Rua's ring rust and surgery.  Personally, I'm rooting for Rua in this one.  I just don't think Jones is ready yet.  Fighting Shogun is much different than fighting Vera or Bader.  Then again, Anderson Silva earned his title shot knocking out Leben and look where he ended up.  Who knows.  Maybe the birth of a new legend.  We'll see.

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

03.11.2011 | 4:25 PM ET

I think Jones might take the title and never look back.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

dafunkskunk
dafunkskunk
  • Predictions:  111  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 13

03.12.2011 | 8:15 AM ET

i think jones might take a whoopin and never fight again.

"long live the last emperor"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,563
  • Post Score: 275

03.12.2011 | 8:21 AM ET

I'm excited for this fight.

"I live, I die, I live again."

ourick76
ourick76
  • Predictions:  7,247  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  427
  • Post Score: 135

03.14.2011 | 10:10 AM ET

I totally agree with the usage of his kicks to keep JJ's reach at bay.  I also totally agree that JJ's takedowns and ability to cause damage while down there are awesome.

"I came here to do two things: drink some beer...and kick some ass...and I'm about out of beer!"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • Ivana Petrović vs. Na Liang - Round 1 is in progress.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Na Liang 6% Ivana Petrović 94%
  • Na "Dragon Girl" Liang (19-7-0) Heilongjiang, CN is the #79th Top Women Flyweight fighter.
  • Ivana Petrović (6-1-0) NO is the #48th Top Women Flyweight fighter.
  • UFC Fight Night features 13 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada