Topic: Randy Couture

The Natural

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

03.09.2011 | 4:10 AM ET

I haven't seen a thread for The Natural yet, so i hope to start a good one. Randys one of my favorite fighters and considering what he's done in two division with multiple championships in each, IMO a few years ago he could've been considered TOP 5 P4P. I for one am hoping he beats Lyoto in any fashion possible and gets one more shot at the title. I also read his book "Becoming the Natural" which followed his career up to fighting Tim Sylvia. Pretty awesome documentary and i'd hope to see one again someday that will chronicle his dispute with the UFC and wanting to fight Fedor.
Randy "The Natural" Couture

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Randy Duane Couture
  • Pro MMA Record: 19-11-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Natural
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: April 30, 2011 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Light Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 203.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: Xtreme Couture
  • Height: 6'1" (186cm) | Reach: 75.0" (191cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,720,000 USD
  • Born: Everett, Washington, United States
  • Fighting out of: Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.09.2011 | 4:59 AM ET

I hear ya man, big fan of the Natural! The guys a genetic freak to still be fighting at this level against a top level oponent like Machida. Hopfully he dirtyboxes out a win against the dragon (though i'd take any win) that would defenetly bump him up a spot (maybe even two) on my favourite fighters list.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

03.09.2011 | 5:12 AM ET

I read 'Becoming the Natural' also... some great behind-the-scenes insight into his personal story. Recommended for anyone who wants to know more about him.  Hate to say this in a Randy thread, but I think Lyoto dominates.

"I live, I die, I live again."

bklettke
bklettke

03.09.2011 | 6:00 AM ET

I have my doubts, but i'm hoping Machida comes into this fight as a heavy favorite. We all know Randy does his best work when he's a massive underdog. To win the fight he needs to clinch against the cage, dirty box, and get a TD here in there.

@Gregory - have you read any other fighter's documentarys like Chuck Liddell or BJ Penn(i think he has one)? I've read the first Forrest Griffin book, thought it was funny as hell, but that's about it on my list. Looking for another good one....

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

03.09.2011 | 6:05 AM ET

I don't know if I've read any other books by fighters, and there are more and more of them. I'd check out any that were recommended.  The stuff I'm most interested in is behind the scenes looks at preparation for fights, details that you don't know about just watching the event on TV, etc.

Blood in the Cage by the Sports Illustrated guy focused really heavily on Pat Militech's career, which was pretty interesting.

"I live, I die, I live again."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

03.09.2011 | 6:20 AM ET

I originally thought Lyoto would dominate, but I'm starting to lean toward Couture. As @bk says, Couture can cause some problems for Machida if he can effectively close the distance without taking much damage.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.09.2011 | 6:27 AM ET

Yeah it's hard not to be a fan of Randy.  His fight with Big Nog is my all time favourite heavyweight fight.  He showed so much heart in that fight and just never quit.  I think there is a good chance that Randy can beat Machida, but I really think Machida's speed is going to give Couture all kinds of problems.  It'll be interesting to see if he's even able to clinch with Machida without eating a straight that sends him to the mat.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

03.09.2011 | 12:50 PM ET

its crazy how old he is and hes still going strong!AMAZING 

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

03.09.2011 | 12:59 PM ET

@bklettke I read Chuck Liddell's book and would reccomend it, pretty insightful
zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.09.2011 | 11:21 PM ET

At this point Randy has nothing to lose and everything to gain. If Machida wins Randy Retires a legend who has performed incredible feats, at his age, that will probably never be duplicated by another fighter fighting into their late 40s. If he wins its just a jaw dropper, as it sets up another possible title run.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.10.2011 | 6:51 AM ET

Machida has his job to lose in this fight though which I think could possibly be the difference.

I heard Dana's stated that Machida could be cut if he loses to Randy which is pretty stupid.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

03.10.2011 | 7:07 AM ET

Ya i dont think he will cut him though he was the champion 2 fights ago would be pretty stupid and they were both losses to top class competitors and one was a razor close decision.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

bklettke
bklettke

03.10.2011 | 7:20 AM ET

Machida won't get cut if he loses, no way in hell. He may not be the largest draw but i can guarantee you he's offered another fight. If he does lose, perhaps a loser finally goes home fight with Brandon Vera would be good.
HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

03.10.2011 | 7:29 AM ET

Agreed.  No way Machida gets cut with a loss.  Even if Dana is not a fan of Machida's style, I don't think he would risk him going to Strikeforce or Bellator. 

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

03.11.2011 | 9:24 AM ET

@lynx Couture/Nog is my favorite HW fight of all time as well...Its a fight I will never get tired of seeing...everytime Couture goes out and fights I'm amazed that someone can still fight at a high level at his age when we've seen some other legends start slipping long before they reach his age

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

bklettke
bklettke

03.11.2011 | 9:33 AM ET

in some cases much more than a decade younger than Couture. It just proves his work ethic and ability to adapt as a martial artist. Not to mention taking care of his body while he's not in camp.
Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

03.11.2011 | 10:39 AM ET

Who doesn't love Randy? But I don't want him to win, he doesn't need to, Machida does.

"I Get Better."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’
  • MMA Mania : Video: Cormier Saved By Security From Pereira Manhandling
  • Middle Easy : Paige VanZant Not Looking Past Fellow OnlyFans Star Elle Brooke: ‘I’m Gonna Get Ready For War’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith no longer 'blinded' by title goal before UFC 301: 'I'm almost carrying an anchor with me'
  • MMAFighting.com : Stephen A. Smith ‘disgusted’ at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson being sanctioned as pro bout
  • MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Confronts And Blasts ‘F—king P—sy’ De La Hoya