Topic: Sonnen vs. Bisping

Thoughts on Bisping/Sonnen decision?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

***yukken
***yukken
  • Predictions:  168  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  59
  • Post Score: 197

01.29.2012 | 2:45 AM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   correct Decision  

I had Bisping winning the first two rounds, with Chael obviously winning the third.  Chael had a few takedowns in those first two rounds but did nothing with them and Bisping got back up quickly.  I thought Bisping won the striking and the clinch game as well in the first 2.  I'll have to look at the fight stats, but after the first viewing, Bisping got robbed IMHO.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." - Mark Twain

Responses Page 3

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.29.2012 | 1:23 PM ET

@wake That's how I felt when I mentioned this an hour and a half ago. Now I'm slowly drinking my disappointment with humanity away. It's starting to work.

EDIT: *10 minutes later* Yeah, I lied. I'm still disappointed. 

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 1:25 PM ET *

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413
  • Post Score: 228

01.29.2012 | 1:26 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

well that article removes the biggest judgeing error (maia). but bisping chael i dont think can be scored 30-27 either way!

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/133528.html

'Sonnen thought I won rounds one and two' - Bisping

damn, i just agreed with chael.

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

rorschach
rorschach
  • Predictions:  4,978  |  64.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 153

01.29.2012 | 1:39 PM ET

I actually thought the first round was a 10-10, the second 10-9 Bisping and the third the only definitive round going to Sonnen 10-9, making it a draw. A fight that close, should have been scored a draw in my opinion, also in my opinion, Sonnen vs. Bisping was a lot closer then Penn vs. Fitch which was scored a draw. 

"I will **** you." ~Me

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

01.29.2012 | 1:48 PM ET

First look at my perdition ^^^

Now I think Bisping won that fight, he imo out struck Sonnen, also majority of the take down attempts that Sonnen made Bisping just got right back up again. And what i think won it for him was the fact when they were in the clinch Michael had Chael's back on the fence for a long time, and if Chael had him on the fence, Bisping reversed it.

What I think won for Chael was the fact the Judges wanted to see "the" rematch.

My score 29-28 Bisping 
my other score adopt a new scoring system.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716
  • Post Score: 229

01.29.2012 | 1:48 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I noticed the Maia error as well.  Seems like some bush league business to me. 

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

rorschach
rorschach

01.29.2012 | 1:52 PM ET

@Benjamin What was the Maia error? Was it really a 29-28 unanimous decision for Weidmen instead of the announced split decision, lol?

"I will **** you." ~Me

schumania
schumania
  • Predictions:  84  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

01.29.2012 | 1:58 PM ET

30-27?

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

When I heard a judge ruled 30-27 I thought Bisping must have won because there's no way Sonnen won all three, so I was surprised it went to Sonnen, but I'm stoked I don't have to watch Bisping/Silva fight.
benjaminbrandt
benjaminbrandt
  • Predictions:  18,270  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  15,716

01.29.2012 | 2:12 PM ET

Prediction: correct Sonnen   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

@rorsch, you're exactly right it was a UD

"I have not yet begun to defile myself. "

Lindseroni
Lindseroni
  • Predictions:  1,459  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  7

01.29.2012 | 2:42 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Bisbing definatly showed up to the fight last night. As one of my favorite fighters I always put my faith in the count, however he needs to work on his finishing! He always shows up he puts in a good valiant effort get some great striking in his form is great but he isn't great and giving us those TKO's that he is totally caipable of! I hope he's so pissed off at this robbery last night that he will hopefully smarten up and work on his finish and style!

"Don't Act Like Your Not Impressed!"

rorschach
rorschach

01.29.2012 | 2:50 PM ET

@Benjamin You're ****ting me lol, I was just goofing around! When was this changed?

"I will **** you." ~Me

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.29.2012 | 2:59 PM ET

I knew people were going to start saying this Sonnen would get killed by Silva in the rematch, but I don't think that's an apt assessment at all. 

Anderson Silva is one of the best--if not the best--fighters of all time, but he does not have great takedown defense. Bisping has some of the best TDD in the division, and is probably the best at getting back to his feet, while Silva is more content to work for a submission from his back. 

I see Silva winning the Sonnen rematch, either with a KO or with another sub from his back, but this fight with Bisping has absolutely no relevance to an analysis of a rematch with Silva. A lot of people mime the old, cliched "styles make fights" line, without actually understanding what that means or how true it is. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,413  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

01.29.2012 | 3:05 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I think so long Sonnen implements a game plan then we will have a new champion. In the first fight he stood with Anderson for a bit .. and to his credit it worked for him. But I think this time if he tries this Anderson Silva is gonna do to him what he did to Okami. If Sonnen sticks to his wrestling then I think he will GnP his way to victory OR he will win via decision.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

01.29.2012 | 3:26 PM ET

I was pretty disappointed with this fight, and think that it gave more support to my belief that Silva will win more decisively in his rematch against Sonnen. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

crimedawg92
crimedawg92
  • Predictions:  4,672  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  279
  • Post Score: 160

01.29.2012 | 3:41 PM ET

I read that the 30-27 was actually to Bisping, 29-28 x 2 for Sonnen for a split decision win.  Either way it was a close fight, but the fight metrics showed that Sonnen edged out the significant strikes 40/97 to 30/86 and total strikes 135/203 to 102/163.

Personally, I thought Bisping was more dominant but it could have gone either way.  I've got a strange feeling that we won't see the rematch vs. Silva, but if we do I think Anderson is going to beat Sonnen.  He took him lightly the first fight and it will be in his backyard.  I don't see Sonnen winning based off his performance vs. Bisping.  He even said he got his bell rung real bad in the 1st--what happens when Silva lands a punch?

"Victory Loves Preparation"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

01.29.2012 | 6:35 PM ET

Ive looked at all the statistics and rewatched the fight 4 times (seriously) Sonnen clearly took round 1. Round 2 was close, i would have made it a draw. Sonnen clearly took round 3. I don't see the controversy...

On that note, I do not want to discredit Bisping. Everytime Chael fights, win or lose, he dominates the fight. He did not dominate Bisping, and Bisping looked good.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.29.2012 | 6:36 PM ET

I don't think it's humanely possible to watch any of the main card FOX fights four times before resorting to self-mutilation.

"الله أكبرl"

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

01.29.2012 | 6:40 PM ET

Bisping did a hell of a job neutralizing TDs for much of the fight. I can see the 2nd rd going Bisping's way, but 1 and 3 were pretty clearly Chael's.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Post Score: 138

01.29.2012 | 7:16 PM ET

I just rewatched the first round of this fight very, very closely.  I think the 2nd and 3rd rounds were pretty decisive, though one of the idiots being paid to judge these fights didn't agree with 99% of the people watching, but that's not the point.

I still say Bisping took the first round.  The only meaningful things Sonnen did was land a couple of takedowns and each time was only able to land a couple of solid punches before Bisping got back up.  Aside from that Bisping kept the fight where he wanted it by defending takedowns, constantly reversing position against the cage, and always making Sonnen pay when he broke off.  Bisping's striking was also much more crisp and effective while Sonnen's just looked sloppy.

I also think Bisping did better overall whenever they were against the cage.  In my opinion the only time Sonnen looked like he was winning that first round was during his brief takedowns.

Not saying this was an absolutely robbery (besides that one judge), but I really believe Bisping won that fight.  I'd much rather see Sonnen get his ass beat by Anderson in Brazil too, but I still believe Bisping deserved that honour.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

01.29.2012 | 7:37 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Bisping   wrong Decision  

i had it 29 28 for bisping.  that judge that had it 30 2 was on crack.

this is a clear result of sonnen silva 2 being a bigger money draw

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.29.2012 | 7:40 PM ET

@Lynx: I think that's a fair assessment, but I also can see giving Sonnen the first round. IMO, it's the definition of a 10-10. 

@puta: Athletic commissions have absolutely nothing to gain from how much money the UFC makes, so these kinds of claims about wanting to set up a bigger money rematch are asinine. And I say that as nicely as possible.

* Edited at 01.29.2012, 7:41 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘No harm intended’: John Fury reacts to headbutt at press event
  • MMAFighting.com : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov announced for UFC Louisville main event
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs Murphy
  • UFC.com : Themba Gorimbo Is Focused On What He Can Control
  • MMA Junkie : Aspen Ladd: Nobody in UFC bantamweight division will beat Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Dos Anjos (Finally) Done With Lightweight
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva teases ‘grand finale’ boxing match in June
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Anthony Smith returns as desk analyst after recent win
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC fighter Michel Pereira rescuing animals from historic floods in Brazil
  • MMA Mania : Fury Vs Usyk Odds, Specials, & Prop Bets
  • UFC.com : Edson Barboza: The Fire Still Burns
  • MMAFighting.com : Chase Hooper on controversial UFC St. Louis stoppage: ‘It was either a panic tap or an unintentional one’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Fury Vs. Usyk Open Workouts Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier unloads on Joaquin Buckley after response to Conor McGregor callout criticism: 'Shut up, p*ssy'
  • Middle Easy : Aspen Ladd Thinks ‘Not Currently Anybody’ In Bantamweight Could Beat Kayla Harrison
  • Bad Left Hook : Nakatani to face mandatory challenger Astrolabio on July 20
  • MMA Mania : UFC FPI 7 Fight Card, Full Grappling Ruleset
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal blames 'f*cking idiot' Nate Diaz for originally going up against UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour live now
  • UFC.com : UFC FIGHT PASS Invitational 7 Results