Topic: UFC 296

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,237
  • Post Score: 47

06.01.2023 | 10:16 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 296
  • Saturday 12.16.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $9,300,000
  • Attendance: 19,039
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Leon Edwards   defeats   Colby Covington   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Royval   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Shavkat Rakhmonov   defeats   Stephen Thompson   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:56 Round 2 of 3, 9:56 Total Bout Page
Paddy Pimblett   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Emmett   defeats   Bryce Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   1:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Dustin Jacoby   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Karol Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Brian Kelleher   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   3:42 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ariane Lipski   defeats   Casey O'Neill   via Submission, Armbar   1:18 Round 2 of 3, 6:18 Total Bout Page
Tagir Ulanbekov   defeats   Cody Durden   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:25 Round 2 of 3, 9:25 Total Bout Page
Andre Fili   defeats   Lucas Almeida   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   3:32 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Shamil Gaziev   defeats   Martin Buday   via KO/TKO, Elbows and Punches (standing TKO)   0:56 Round 2 of 3, 5:56 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 16

LutaBangBang
LutaBangBang
  • Predictions:  127  |  57.5%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 57

12.10.2023 | 11:05 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 4 Winners, 2 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 5983rd

@Parlay Boss 
You Really Think Emmet Wins over Thug Nasty? 

"Watch how another ***********s over another ***********er cause that's the same way they're gonna **** you over. DtA-Stone Cold"

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  177
  • Post Score: 4

12.10.2023 | 11:09 AM ET

LutaBangBang

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 1191st

Emmett by KO šŸ’„

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

LutaBangBang
LutaBangBang
  • Predictions:  127  |  57.5%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 57

12.10.2023 | 11:17 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 4 Winners, 2 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 5983rd

@Parlay Boss 
I say Gaviev for sure but I also say you go 1-3 on the night with these.

"Watch how another ***********s over another ***********er cause that's the same way they're gonna **** you over. DtA-Stone Cold"

Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.10.2023 | 1:54 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

Edwards vs. Covington
Leon Edwards, DEC
Edward's striking is going to be a big problem for Covington if he can't get his wrestling off early

Pantoja vs. Royval II
Alexandre Pantoja, SUB, R3
It's Pantoja's time. I think he will hold the title until he fights Mokaev or Taira

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R2
Lamb to slaughter, Shavkat finishing Wonderboy is a lock.

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Paddy Pimblett, DEC
Disgusting matchmaking to try and give Paddy a free win after he got exposed against Gordon.

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, DEC
I really don't rate Garry highly at all, every fight he's had in the UFC has been tailor-made for him to win. I'd like to see him fight a good grappler like Brady (with his wife's permission of course)

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Bryce Mitchell, DEC
Emmett KO is possible but I think Mitchell's wrestling will win him a decision.

Garbrandt vs. Kelleher
Cody Garbrandt, DEC
Garbrandt is a shell of his old self and he could easily lose this fight.

Ulanbekov vs. Durden
Tagir Ulanbekov, DEC
Close fight possibly

Gaziev vs. Buday
Shamil Gaziev, TKO, R2
Odds seem off for this fight, Buday has beaten the worst heavyweights in the UFC and always gasses by round 2

Brown vs. Salikhov
Randy Brown, DEC
Brown will use the range to dominate probably

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 2:21 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 7 months, 5 days, 18 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
PickingMyNose
PickingMyNose
  • Predictions:  967  |  55.1%
  • Forum Posts:  118
  • Post Score: 21

12.10.2023 | 3:15 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 5290th

Edwards vs. Covington
Colby Covington, DEC
Call me crazy (I am crazy), but I'm making this pick purely based on the fact that there seems to be a "rock paper scissors" of people at the top of a lot of divisions; and I believe Colby is the rock to Leon's scissors and Usman is geodude. (I am wearing a tinfoil hat).

Pantoja vs. Royval II
Alexandre Pantoja, SUB, R4
Royvals explosiveness and unorthodox scrambles will keep him in the fight for the first two rounds; but he has not demonstrated any reason to make me believe he can keep that pace up into champ rounds against the relentless pressure Pantoja usually brings, to add to that we've seen Pantoja seemingly gas in round 3 against Moreno and demonstrate a second wind and incredible grit.

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R1
I hope shavkat strikes but realistically this is going to be a drag and sub. If he can do that to Harris; he can do it to WB.

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Tony Ferguson, TKO, R1
I AM COPING, PLEASE RETIRE TONY.

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Vicente Luque, TKO, R1
Luque hits Garry like Kenan did but Garry doesn't recover, patient Luque a new mythical fighter.

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Bryce Mitchell, DEC
Bryce via... FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!

Aldana vs. Rosa
Irene Aldana, TKO, R1
Juliana Pena rush to G&P KO R1 (Tinfoil hat pick, Vegas mind wash beams can't touch me).

Garbrandt vs. Kelleher
Cody Garbrandt, DEC
Cody no-chin is going to wrestle a lot and get a close split/unanimous decision win.

O'Neill vs. Lipski
Ariane Lipski, DEC
Casey O'Neill fade worked last time, let's try it again.

Menifield vs. Jacoby
Dustin Jacoby, TKO, R1
Jacoby straight punch down the middle flatline KO (The tinfoil hat speaks to me).

Ulanbekov vs. Durden
Cody Durden, DEC
I think Durden is going to out grapple Tagir.

Fili vs. Almeida
Andre Fili, DEC
Idk just flipped a coin.

Gaziev vs. Buday
Martin Buday, DEC
Buday clinch, will be boring. Thank god it's a prelim fight.

Brown vs. Salikhov
Randy Brown, DEC
Going to be technical, probably a split decision.

"Why they allow makeup in beauty contest but not steroids in contest of strength?"

Sidomavicius
Sidomavicius
  • Predictions:  1,056  |  70.5%
  • Forum Posts:  333
  • Post Score: 173

12.10.2023 | 3:37 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 2813th

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Vicente Luque, SUB, R2
This line feels way off, i just canā€™t look past it. Luque is not just some bum that Garry can walk straight through. Vicente has fought some of the best welterweights on the roster for the past 4-5 years while Garry was getting his feet wet. Ian has good stand up but itā€™s pretty basic stuff. One, twos.. decent kicks. I just havenā€™t seen enough yet, especially on the ground, to be able to understand how heā€™s this big a favorite here. The hype is not there for me. Garry doesnā€™t present anything in this fight that Luque hasnā€™t seen before. I can see Luque using a lot of wrestling here to tire Ian out early. Can see Ian getting caught in a dā€™arce with that long neck of his. Vicente can also BANGšŸ’„. Theres just a lot more ways for Luque to win here in my opinion. I like the guys at Kill Cliff and believe they can build a good game-plan for Luque to win. Garry has only been the hammer in his fights so far. Basically walking through guys. Kenan Song had him rocked though. Luque has power in both hands. On top of it all, Garry put a lot of pressure on himself this time. A lot of people are going to heckle him all week long. We havenā€™t seen him perform in these conditions before. Heā€™s been the darling, but is gonna face some šŸ’© this time. You know Colby is gonna be on his case too. Potential future fight. Gonna be fun while it lasts, but id rather be on the Luque side here. šŸ‡§šŸ‡·šŸ‡§šŸ‡·šŸ‡§šŸ‡·

"Kindness is a universal language regardless of age, nationality or religionā€ ā€” Sir Alex Ferguson"

rydersklar
rydersklar
  • Predictions:  392  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 120

12.10.2023 | 5:39 PM ET

UFC 296 Picks

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 1002nd

Edwards vs Covington
Covington via DEC 48-47
Covingtons gonna get the wrestling going and control Edwards on the ground for three rounds to edge a split on the scorecard. Will be close fight and prolly boring.

Pantoja vs Royal 2
Pantoja via DEC
I think Royal will surprise a lot of people and have more success on the ground than people think and will be winning Alot of exchanges on the feet. Pantoja will still be the better fighter and win by decision.

Rakhmonov vs Thompson
Thompson via RD 3 TKO
Rakhmonov and Thompson are gonna have 2 tight rounds but favoring Rakhmonov and Thompson is gonna chin Rakhmonov big old head.

Ferguson vs Pimblett
Pimblett via DEC
Ferguson may land a couple shots like Jared Gordon did and will get us excited but Pimblett will get some ground control and edge a uncontroversial decision.

Luque vs Garry
Garry via RD 2 TKO
Luque won't have much success but could try to take down Garry because them being past training partners gives both fighters knowledge on who's better at what in this fight. Luque may know he is way better than Garry on the ground and use it. Maybe im wrong.

Emmett vs Mitchell
Mitchell via DEC
Very Very close fight. Split DEC.

Meinfield vs Jacoby
Jacoby via RD 2 TKO
Big right hand knocks down Meinfield and ground pound does the finish

"Im bringing you to 7th layer hell, we'll say what's up to your dad while were there"

Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,860  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,013
  • Post Score: 207

12.10.2023 | 5:44 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 545 Points   |   Tied for 1608th

Kinda shocked Buday is a big favorite over Gaziev given how hyped Shamil was ahead of his Contender Series fight.

Still think Shamil wins since I get the feeling Buday won't be able to impose his will, and because he's looked like **** against most of his UFC opponents, but Shamil is no stranger to finding himself in bad positions despite being undefeated.
Mightypro150
Mightypro150
  • Predictions:  8,907  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  144
  • Post Score: 67

12.10.2023 | 6:10 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 485 Points   |   Tied for 2888th

O'Neill vs. Lipski
Casey O'Neill, TKO, R2
Jennifer Maia is a title contender and got released from the promotion for exposing thier newest prospect. Lipski beat Gatto by picking cleaner strikes to the head with a 20 strike deficit. Same way Maia won by lighting up the Christmas tree that is Casey's forehead. If O'Neil gameplans the takedowns she will dominantly win with gnp. But if it's up for 3 rounds Lipski can out point her with cleaner shots.
Factor in Casey's recent knee surgery and Ariane's recent takedown defense and getting her own takedowns. Makes this fight closer.

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 6:33 PM ET *

"It's like predicting the future..., except it isn't."

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,792  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,564
  • Post Score: 262

12.10.2023 | 6:53 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 4379th

Put $10 on Tony by Ko at +900, really like them odds on that, Paddy striking defense suck and he get chinned by everyone he fight, and the best thing about 2023 Tony is that he can still cracked hard as he drop Chandler and Green

"Quack quack quack"

onepunch
onepunch
  • Predictions:  16,925  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  22
  • Post Score: 50

12.10.2023 | 7:15 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 1687th

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Paddy Pimblett, DEC
El Cucuy is just way too old.. time to hang the old gloves up my friend.

"My wife's a gynecologist. . . She sees ******* like you all the time."

DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  427  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  868
  • Post Score: 160

12.10.2023 | 7:38 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 690 Points   |   Tied for 108th

Gaziev vs Buday is kinda tough to call. Buday is undefeated in the UFC, but he's fought nothing but cans. Hard to get a read on how good Gaziev actually is, but I think he's the toughest opponent Buday has fought thus far.

"My balls was hot"

Erison
Erison
  • Predictions:  1,698  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,896
  • Post Score: 227

12.10.2023 | 7:49 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 545 Points   |   Tied for 1608th

I really liked this timing and matchup for Garry over Luque. But has anyone ever gone into a fight camp with worse vibes? Like this is all-time bad beat. Regardless of what you think of his marriage, the way the entire MMA community has either clowned him or given him the hand on shoulder ā€œyou need help, sonā€. And everything heā€™s said to try to play it off makes it even weirder and sadder. 

The MMA gods arenā€™t gonna let him win this fight. 
Squeakypuff
Squeakypuff
  • Predictions:  1,433  |  71.0%
  • Forum Posts:  485
  • Post Score: 148

12.10.2023 | 8:12 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 755 Points   |   Tied for 12th with 3 others

@Erison 
pretty sure Garry makes this look relatively easy. Garry being defensively irresponsible is Luque's only avenue to victory. Watched the sport long enough to know a fighter being a ****** person who gets clowned on means nothing in the cage. 

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 8:12 PM ET *

"I'll make my own damn quote." -Me

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss

12.10.2023 | 8:30 PM ET

Ian 'Machado' Garry

I originally had Garry over Luque, but when he compared himself to God I lost the little respect I had for him. There is no way God would ever reward such ignorance. 

Ian's arrogance will be his downfall. I can see Luque cracking his big mouth shut and giving him his first loss. Hopefully with this humbling loss, he will realize his wife's manipulation and divorce her old ass. He will also fire his stupid nutritionist and remove Machado from his name. 

Ian has a lot of learning to do in this game called life and he is the type of person that needs to learn the hard way. He will have to lose it all in order to slowly build his way back up. He can one day be a champion, but it won't be until he gets his head on straight. It would truly be sad if he stays blind to his current situation and becomes a fighter that we all forget about. 

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 10:08 PM ET *

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

UFC_1
UFC_1
  • Predictions:  1,163  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  372
  • Post Score: 62

12.10.2023 | 8:33 PM ET

Colby overrated fighter with bad wrestling, grappling and striking.
Does he really have a chance to win?
Why Leon is not -400 line, how Paddy and Ian?
UFC_1
UFC_1
  • Predictions:  1,163  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  372
  • Post Score: 62

12.10.2023 | 8:36 PM ET

@Parlay Boss 
its no time for lose Garry. Trust me. Its really Golden Boy for UFC and his lose a big blow to the company. No time. No Luque.

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 8:39 PM ET *

Squeakypuff
Squeakypuff

12.10.2023 | 8:41 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 755 Points   |   Tied for 12th with 3 others

Pretty sure Garry wins. I have no idea what you all are talking about when you say God's going to punish his arrogance and other such foolishness. 

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss

12.10.2023 | 8:43 PM ET

I guess we will all see Saturday...

The Luque vs. Garry fight will surely be a parlay buster šŸ’£

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 8:46 PM ET *

Squeakypuff
Squeakypuff

12.10.2023 | 8:47 PM ET

Another one of Tapology's many parlay experts. 

Page 16

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ā€˜Iā€™ll Be Fighting For The Title Next Yearā€™
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Credits Colby Covington For Ian Garry Troll Job: ā€˜Some Of His Finest Workā€™
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler UFC 303 poster features yellow yelling faces
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Derrick Lewis deliver another knockout at UFC St. Louis?
  • MMA Junkie : Robelis Despaigne sees himself fighting for UFC heavyweight title in 2025
  • MMA Mania : ā€˜Youā€™re Not A Real Man!ā€™ Sterling And Oā€™Malley Reignite Rivalry
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 poster released showing return of Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyanā€™s Coach Doesnā€™t Believe #1 Contender Is Ready To Dethrone Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ā€˜He is Not a Better Fighter Than Meā€™
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean Oā€™Malleyā€™s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC