Topic: UFC 289

UFC 289: Nunes vs. Aldana

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,790
  • Post Score: 46

03.14.2023 | 10:31 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 289
  • Saturday 06.10.2023 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Rogers Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $3,834,893
  • Attendance: 17,628
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Amanda Nunes   defeats   Irene Aldana   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Charles Oliveira   defeats   Beneil Dariush   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Mike Malott   defeats   Adam Fugitt   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:06 Round 2 of 3, 6:06 Total Bout Page
Dan Ige   defeats   Nate Landwehr   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marc-André Barriault   defeats   Eryk Anders   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nassourdine Imavov   vs.   Chris Curtis   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Clash of Heads   3:04 Round 2 of 3, 8:04 Total Bout Page
Jasmine Jasudavicius   defeats   Miranda Maverick   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Aiemann Zahabi   defeats   Aoriqileng   via KO/TKO, Left Hook to Ground Strikes   1:04 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kyle Nelson   defeats   Blake Bilder   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Steve Erceg   defeats   David Dvořák   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Diana Belbiţă   defeats   Maria Oliveira   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 12

2023.06.02 7:52 AM ET

bout status update

Daukaus vs. Rountree Jr. Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  10,859
  • Post Score: 127

06.02.2023 | 11:34 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 923rd

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

nickp
nickp
  • Predictions:  12  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 200

06.02.2023 | 12:16 PM ET

Aldana is good and I think the match up will be good I’m anticipating a good fight
JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  13,330  |  72.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,548
  • Post Score: 13

06.02.2023 | 8:36 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 970th

hope they can find a replacement for rountree

card is starting to thin

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  54,065  |  75.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 168

06.03.2023 | 12:01 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 1664th

Oliveira vs. Dariush
Charles Oliveira, SUB, R2
This should be a very good fight.

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.03.2023 | 11:24 AM ET

What's going on with this card? 11 fights? There's only been 5 cancellations, pretty on par with modern standards. Usually they keep these cards stacked at 14 or 15 fights so that they at least hit 12-13 fights.

I assume they'll add some more last minute fights it is not a fight night after all.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,744  |  67.2%
  • Forum Posts:  32,926
  • Post Score: 91

06.03.2023 | 11:29 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2224th

I think they’ve given up on Canada. Also they’ve gotta keep some people on standby incase fights fall out for the big july cards 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.03.2023 | 11:50 AM ET

Can't say I blame them if that's the case. I expend more energy watching Aimeann Zahabi fight than he expends during his average UFC fight.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

06.03.2023 | 11:56 AM ET

Luckily he has a good dance partner in AQ so hopefully he finishes him or makes Zahabi fight a good fight 

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.03.2023 | 12:28 PM ET

Don't know why Zahabi is coming back so soon though, it's only been 11 months since he fought. He needs to be careful to not rush back into the octagon too soon.

He usually takes a break for 2 years between fights and here he is back in less than a year. Desperate for money? What is going on?

* Edited at 06.03.2023, 12:29 PM ET *

SevenLakerSeth
SevenLakerSeth
  • Predictions:  4,753  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,192
  • Post Score: 144

06.03.2023 | 1:12 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2412th

I guarantee you I'll  be turning this off after the co main.
gliese58i
gliese58i

06.03.2023 | 2:30 PM ET

I seriously have a book offering me Qileng at -126. Shouldn't he be a moderate favorite at least here, not close to a pickem? He is a lot younger with a lot more experience under his belt, literally 3 times as much with 33 pro fights to just 11 (although chinese records are always sus to be fair). To me he looks a lot better in the striking than the very passive Zahabi. Qileng closes the distance fast and throws fast from a lot of angles, targetting the low leg the head and the body all. Not sure how Zahabi's counterstriking is going to keep up with that. 
Qileng even beat Durden pretty clearly if we are to actually follow the scoring ruleset imo so held his own against a pretty legit grappler. 

Furthermore he is with Fight Ready which is just one of the best gyms out there compared to Zahabi tranining under his brother that imo is one of the most overrated MMA coaches in the UFC having struck gold with GSP and then never made any waves again. I mean alright they have Arnold Allen, I'm sure someone else I'm forgetting but Firas is constantly refered to as some MMA wizard trainer. Probably mostly Rogan hyping him up time and again.

Maybe this is just the world of early capping I've been missing out on. Not used to seeing this much value on favorites, hence I seldom bet them.

The only thing that concerns me at all here is that we're in Canada and the judges might be biased, if not on their own accord then subconsciously to the crowd cheering for Zahabi.
Aoriqileng has shown at times when he's gassed he'll just stand and slug which is pretty low fight IQ but when was the last time we saw Zahabi brawl? The guy is about as defensively minded a fighter as you can find.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

06.03.2023 | 2:51 PM ET

I think AQ should be like -250

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.03.2023 | 4:11 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

I think outside Canada yes, but it's a good chance this goes the distance since Zahabi never commits and I don't fully trust the judges to get it right. But -200 or so doesn't seem unreasonable.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

06.03.2023 | 4:17 PM ET

Well I think even stylistically Aq should easily win this. Zahabi just counterstrikes & is very low power. AQ is gonna March him down and land power shots. Even visually this is an easy fight for him. Idk why it’s lined so close; Zahabi doesn’t have good wrestling to hold down AQ, he won’t crack the chin, and he doesn’t fight at a high enough pace to gas him out

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,437  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  6,532
  • Post Score: 134

06.03.2023 | 4:20 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 265 Points   |   Tied for 2810th

Aimann reminds me of his brother dad or whatever the relation is, meaning he will point fight run away and hopefully get badly exposed.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.03.2023 | 5:52 PM ET

Yes, Firas has trained Aemann to fight like he is the greatest counterstriker on earth. Never take the initiative, always stay on the outside circling and wait for the opponent to strike then counter.

Problem is he is barely UFC-level and a 35 years old bantamweight that fights once per year at best.

AQs camp Fight Ready has the complete opposite approach. Be first, throw often. Which is sound advice for 95% of fighters. How often do we see defensively good counterstrikers? Meaning they are skilled and fast enough to react to strikes and consistently dodge them and fire back before the opponent is out of reach.

Mostly when we say someone has good striking defense we mean they have their guard up and block a fair amount of shots as opposed to letting their arms hang by their sides. But to actually be a good defensive striker, to be able to sit in the pocket and avoid most shots like Dustin Poirier, is very rare.

It's much easier to get good at using your athleticism to fire off punches and kicks and be accurate enough to land. The defensive fighter is going to be at a disadvantage here in most cases. The attacker poses the question and the defender has to answer it or get hurt. The attacker risks a lot less and it looks better in the eyes of the judges. Not to mention any damaging shot will actively diminish what the defender can then fire back as the fight rolls on.

I just think Firas style of fighting should be reserved for an elite fighter. Not for his unimpressive brother. That is not even mentioning the risk of getting cut from the UFC if you aren't of special interest to them unless you win all your fights since the UFC don't like fighters that don't ever take risks to get a finish.

* Edited at 06.03.2023, 5:56 PM ET *

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

06.04.2023 | 1:04 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2412th

Nunes vs. Aldana
Irene Aldana, TKO, R3
This card is a travesty. Weirdly though, I'm looking forward to the main event. I think this is a mental battle and Aldana is coming in hungry. Nunes has struggled with in-tight brawls virtually her whole career. Sure, she slept Cyborg, but not without getting caught on the entry herself. Aldana should be able to bite down on the mouthpiece and go to war; difference being, Nunes can't take many bombs from Aldana. She has laser-precision and near perfect timing. Aldana's a consummate counter-striker and I think she can work that left hook on the chin of Nunes.

Oliveira vs. Dariush
Charles Oliveira, DEC
This is a very close fight. Dariush's striking leveled up in his last outing against Gamrot, and his scrambling abilities are probably the best in the division outside of the champ. One thing is that Oliveira's going to be pushing forward, and doing that will mitigate the risk of getting taken down or countered to hell. Dariush has power, but Oliveira has a speed advantage and he's more technically refined. Besides the head movement being an issue, I think he can take away Beneil's best tools and do the damage. Should be a good fight where Oliveira has a slight edge imo.

Malott vs. Fugitt
Mike Malott, TKO, R2
I get the whole hometown hero thing, but this takes a main card spot of Imavov-Curtis? Really? Fugitt is good, but I don't think that'll matter when Mike eventually finds his chin. It's bound to happen.

Ige vs. Landwehr
Dan Ige, TKO, R1
Landwehr is a very kill-or-be-killed guy. Ends quickly, in wacky way.

Imavov vs. Curtis
Nassourdine Imavov, DEC
This will look similar to the Jack Hermansson fight where Imavov uses all of his tools to shut down Curtis and dominate him across the boards.

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,513  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 141

06.04.2023 | 3:31 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2178th

Nunes vs. Aldana
Amanda Nunes, DEC
Well that was an interesting card! I did warn everyone that I thought the main event was a setup fight for Albazi to win, looks like I was right! Even though I picked Albazi, I have to agree it was a robbery (though I will take it because of all the predictions I have lost because of robberies). I hope there is enough outcry to finally do something about judges like Chris Lee, Doug Crosby and Sal D'amato. They are ruining the sport and affecting the lives of the fighters. No good. Anyway I thought I would drop my picks early for this card. This is pre-tape so I could change some and I am going from what I know of these fighters, but I think I have a pretty good read on most of the fights. Main event breakdown - Nunes wins.

Oliveira vs. Dariush
Beneil Dariush, DEC
This will be a banger. But I really feel that Oliveira has been a little exposed on how to beat him, and Dariush is definitely someone who can. Dariush can be a little chinny but Oliveira is too. Both have amazing BJJ but where Dariush will pull away is the wrestling. I think he will be the one on top landing the ground and pound and he is too good to get submitted.

Malott vs. Fugitt
Mike Malott, SUB, R2
Fugitt did well and exceeded expectations to beat Kino****a last fight, but I think Mallott will be too much. Mallot is better everywhere and I think his grappling is a level above.

Ige vs. Landwehr
Dan Ige, DEC
As much as I love Nate the Train, I think Ige is a step above his past opponents. The striking I give to Ige and the wrestling and grappling abilities should cancel each other out. Ige has really only lost to the best and I think he takes a relatively close decision here.

Anders vs. Barriault
Eryk Anders, DEC
Anders is improving, especially being at Fight Ready. He is participating in grappling contests, his striking looks better and even his cardio looks improved. While MAB will have the better cardio I think unlike Julian Marquez, Anders is not going to just shell up. I think Anders will push the wrestling, clinch and grappling and will win out a close decision.

Imavov vs. Curtis
Chris Curtis, TKO, R3
Really interesting fight. I do really like Imavov and I think he has very legit skills. However what worries me the most is his cardio. Also though he has good grappling he is not the best wrestler and this will likely play out on the feet because Curtis has such good takedown defence. So if it stays on the feet who wins? I have to give it to the better boxer with better cardio. I can see a late KO. Need to watch tape on the two Buckley fights again, but my initial lean is towards Curtis.

Jasudavicius vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
Maverick is the better striker by far and a better grappler, and at least an equal wrestler. MAverick wins.

Zahabi vs. Aoriqileng
Aoriqileng, DEC
Zahabi beat Turcious last time because that was the kind of striking affair he wanted. Here I think AoriQ mixes in the wrestling and striking and wins out a decision.

Bilder vs. Nelson
Kyle Nelson, DEC
I need to watch tape on this. I remember being remarkably unimpressed with Bilders win over Shane Young, if I remember right (and I could be wrong here) he lost the first round (or was it the last?) and I was not impressed. Nelson has had a bad run for sure but his wrestling and grappling seems improved and his striking is always a threat initially. His cardio has looked better recently as well from memory. This is a fight I need to study more (and I could change my pick) but from initial thoughts I think Nelson could win

Dvořák vs. Erceg
David Dvořák, DEC
Erceg has some good wins on his record, but I think Dvorak really is one of the top fighters in the division. He should win this one.

Belbiţă vs. Oliveira
Diana Belbiţă, DEC
I think Belbita has the better striking. From what I remember she has some nice combinations and good volume. Oliveira has never been someone who impressed me. But then again I always get the first fight of the night wrong so I am sure Oliveira will win.

sir yaomungus
sir yaomungus
  • Predictions:  151  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  135
  • Post Score: 76

06.04.2023 | 3:57 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 184th

Sirs, I’ve watch no tape yet and this is just my first thought, so take this with a grain of salt. Part of me wants to take Fugitt, I don’t like Mallot’s striking defence and when he leaves his chin too high in the air after throwing his own, and Fugitt does have some pop behind his shots. Could be an upset, maybe. Anyone else worried about Mallot’s striking defence 
Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,317  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6,868
  • Post Score: -53

06.04.2023 | 4:04 AM ET

Sir

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 144th

No

"Positivity is a positive"

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Fans ‘Feel Sorry’ For ‘Desperate’ Darren Till
  • Middle Easy : ‘Fake Little B*tch’ Sean Strickland Snaps Back at Luke Rockhold: ‘I’ll F*ck You Up For Fun’
  • Bad Left Hook : Ayala vs Apolinario vacant title fight reportedly set for Aug. 9
  • Bad Left Hook : Angel Ayala vs Dave Apolinario vacant title fight reportedly set for Aug. 9
  • MMAFighting.com : Bare knuckle, headbutts, and one 30-minute round: IVC plans return with vintage vale tudo rules
  • MMA Junkie : Oscar De La Hoya criticizes those calling for Deontay Wilder's retirement: 'Give the man his respect'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Diaz Vs. Masvidal Press Conference Video!
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Chokes Out Alligator During Hunt For UFC Title: ‘I Got A License To Kill’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White: Conor McGregor at Muhammad Ali’s level when it comes to ‘mental warfare’
  • MMA Mania : Blaydes: ‘Top Heavy’ Jones Not ‘Real’ Champ
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Jacoby expects best version of Dominick Reyes at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMA Mania : Beware The ‘Michael Chiesa Curse’
  • MMA Junkie : Post-UFC, Brittney Palmer takes on 'Pony' starring role for feature film debut
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Reveals His Laundry List of Brutal Injuries Following UFC 302
  • Middle Easy : Curtis Blaydes Accuses Jon Jones of Taking ‘Money Over Prestige’ by Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • MMA Mania : Diaz Vs. Masvidal 2 Costs $79.99 (Seriously)
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: Islam Makhachev No. 1 pound-for-pound over Jon Jones shows media 'know nothing about this f*cking sport'
  • MMAFighting.com : Between the Links: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler, UFC 302 fallout, Dana White’s pound-for-pound debate
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Between the Links LIVE NOW
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Shares Cryptic Image of Himself on Social Media Amid UFC 303 Cancelation Rumors