Topic: Shields vs. Akiyama

Shields vs. Akiyama

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,730  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

11.14.2011 | 2:20 PM ET

Prediction: correct Shields   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Shields vs. Akiyama. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,102  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

11.14.2011 | 4:53 PM ET

Poor Akiyama he keeps losing and getting tougher competition, Sexyama must've done something to piss off Joe Silva

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,413  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

11.14.2011 | 5:21 PM ET

Prediction: correct Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Its a bad match for Akiyama considering he got subbed by Leben. If Leben can sub him then I am pretty sure Shields can. I will be safe though and say Shields via decision. I honestly feel bad for the guy. His dad died, he goes to fight Ellenberger anyways and gets destroyed. I hope he pulls a win off.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

11.14.2011 | 5:35 PM ET

Everyone thought the Ellenberger fight was gonna be easy for Shields to.

I think Akiama is gonna get the knock out

"Is reality really realistic?"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  56,899  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

11.14.2011 | 6:30 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Akiyama   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I was very confident that Ellenberger would knock out Shields, and I'm very confident that Akiyama will do the same ;)
Great fight though, the UFC must have alot of confidence in Akiyama giving him this fight, it would be a really good win for him.
Legz
Legz
  • Predictions:  21,633  |  78.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,169
  • Post Score: 261

11.14.2011 | 6:38 PM ET

I'm hoping one of these two get injured and Sexyama gets a new opponent. Give him Duane Ludwig or something.

"This is Shooto!"

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA

11.14.2011 | 6:41 PM ET

@Legz Why?  I want to see him beat a top guy and get back on track, not beat someone everyone expects him to beat :/
Legz
Legz
  • Predictions:  21,633  |  78.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,169
  • Post Score: 261

11.14.2011 | 6:54 PM ET

Of course but this is a very risky fight for him. If he loses we'll most likely never see him in the UFC again. A win right now would be good for Sexyama mentally and also in terms of experience b/c of the weight cut. Also i'm sure his fans wouldn't mind him picking up a win. After that though I completely agree with you.

"This is Shooto!"

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

11.14.2011 | 7:33 PM ET

Prediction: correct Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

great fight but seriously tough to call.......i shall have to think this one over!

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Mortis
Mortis
  • Predictions:  1,989  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,263
  • Post Score: 246

11.14.2011 | 7:35 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Akiyama   wrong Decision  

I think we're going to see a different Akiyama then what we're use to, and he'll be more determined to win since they will be fighting in Japan. 

I haven't decided who to pick, yet, but I'm leaning towards Akiyama.

"I would drink Lyoto Machida's urine." --- Forrest Griffin

Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

11.14.2011 | 7:43 PM ET

If Akiyama keeps this on the feet and doesnt gas I see him winning this. Shields doesnt have the best takedowns and Sexyama is a Judo champ

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

11.14.2011 | 9:04 PM ET

Prediction: correct Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Can I ask why everybody has been on Akiyama's nuts since he came to the UFC? He has had some really exciting fights in the UFC no doubt about it, but he hasn't won a fight yet (and for anyone who points out the Alan Belcher fight, I will ask you to watch the fight again, two of the judges  clearly got it wrong) And for everyone who says he hasn't been taken down yet...well he hasn't fought a great grappler yet. The last time he fought a great grappler it was Sakuraba, and even though it doesn't show on the record, Akiyama did grease in that fight, and like Phalhares, Sakuraba shouldn't have been *****in' he should have been defending himself and he would have won that fight. 

So final answer, Jake Shields, submission 1st round, or DQ for Akiyama greasing.

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

11.14.2011 | 9:47 PM ET

Well Akiyama did win a fight, against Alan Belcher :D (yes yes, judges suck, bla bla) but to be honest I'm not a huge fan of his. But Dana says he's a big fan of his and the UFC has some vested interest in him so I find it weird that they put him in these tough matches.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

11.14.2011 | 10:32 PM ET

@fresno, you are right, the UFC must really be confident in him giving him Shields, especially since the fight will be in Japan.

* Edited at 11.14.2011, 10:37 PM ET *

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA

11.14.2011 | 10:39 PM ET

Ya I just hope Akiyama can give his home-country crowd a good showing at welterweight.  A loss for either fighter might have them seriously considering whether or not they should continue fighting UFC competition.
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

11.14.2011 | 10:41 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Akiyama   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Sexyama by KO. I think his Judo will be enough to keep it standing where Akiyama can knock him out.

* Edited at 11.14.2011, 11:59 PM ET *

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

11.15.2011 | 10:48 AM ET

akiyama is not going to KO shields because he won't be fighitng shields the week his father died

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Mortis
Mortis
  • Predictions:  1,989  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,263
  • Post Score: 246

11.15.2011 | 11:14 AM ET

@Jerry - Shields hasn't exactly looked impressive since coming to the UFC himself. Having a lackluster debut against Kampmann, barely edging him out in a split decision (which I chalked up as having to cut a lot of weight), but then looking very poorly against GSP (okay, GSP makes a lot of fighters look very poorly).. but then being ko'd by Jake Ellenberger in less than a minute.

This was suppose to be the guy that was going to come into the UFC and have the best chance at taking GSP's belt. Shields looked very impressive in Strikeforce, EliteXC, and Rumble on the Rock, but not so well this past year. For some reason, this isn't the same Shields that beat Dan Henderson, Mayhem, Paul Daley, Robbie Lawler, Yushin Okami, Carlos Condit...

3 out of 4 of Akiyama's UFC fights have been fight of the night and he has looked better inside the octagon than Shields has. Although, Akiyama will be the one that will be cutting more weight, so hopefully that doesn't wear down on him.

I'm going to take Akiyama via decision. Unfortunately, that might mean that Shields may be receiving his walking papers. I'm sure if Akiyama loses, he will no longer be in the UFC as well.

"I would drink Lyoto Machida's urine." --- Forrest Griffin

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

11.15.2011 | 11:22 AM ET

I think if Shields loses he will get one more chance.

Akiyama looks good for the first round and a half. But then he starts to lose steam and ends up looking horrible.

I'm still on the fence on who to pick.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

depltd testosteron
depltd testosteron
  • Predictions:  323  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: 113

11.15.2011 | 1:47 PM ET

Prediction: correct Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Shields by submission or decision. Sexyama will be done in the ufc and will then have to abandon his mma career--- but at least he'll have his music career to fall back on

"“I’d beat up Machida on the way to the ring to beat up Anderson, and I’ll kick Nogueria’s ass in the parking lot on the way to my after party.""

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

11.22.2011 | 12:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Shields with the submission in an awesome fight

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : UFC FIGHT PASS Invitational 7 Results
  • Middle Easy : Report: Floyd Mayweather To Rematch Victor Ortiz In Exhibition Match On August 24
  • MMAFighting.com : Daniel Cormier goes scorched earth on Joaquin Buckley: ‘Shut up p*ssy’
  • MMA Mania : UFC Action Figures Are Back!
  • MMA Junkie : Tyson Fury: Beating Oleksandr Usyk 'puts me No. 1 status of all time' at heavyweight
  • UFC.com : MCFARLANE TOYS TEAMS UP WITH UFC TO CREATE POWERHOUSE LINE OF COLLECTIBLES
  • Middle Easy : Deontay Wilder Fears Jake Paul Could Leave ‘Too Old’ Mike Tyson In Coma, Rips Commission For Licensing Boxing Legend To Fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC Vegas 92 Media Day!
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier takes umbrage with 'magician at manipulation' Jon Jones dismissing UFC title reign
  • Middle Easy : Darren Till To Face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. In Pro Boxing Debut At Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Card
  • Jits Magazine : IBJJF Brasileiro 2024 Breaks Record For Their Biggest Kid’s BJJ Tournament Ever
  • MMA Mania : He’s Back! ‘Gorilla’ Battles Chavez Jr. On Netflix
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Merab Dvalishvili shares video after 'huge accident' during Uber ride, walks away unscathed
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Merab Dvalishvili shows aftermath of frightening car accident, says he was uninjured
  • Bad Left Hook : Paul vs Tyson undercard: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr return, Sylve vs Schofield
  • MMA Junkie : Darren Till books pro boxing debut vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson card
  • MMAFighting.com : Darren Till makes pro boxing debut at Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul event
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Tyson Fury, Darren Till, Cedric Doumbe, Frank Warren, Matt Brown, Carlos Ulberg, and more at 1 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and bareknuckle boxing action May 17-18
  • Bad Left Hook : Haney petitions for DQ win over Garcia