Tapology Forums

Who is more likely to make it: Nam Phan or Jonathan Brookins?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Dominic Decoco
Dominic Decoco
  • Predictions:  287  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 17

12.05.2010 | 7:34 PM ET

After watching Brookins get clobbered in the first round, compare that to Nam Phan beat up on Leonard Garcia even though he lost the decision, which of these two fighters will make it in the UFC the longest?

Probably Brookins because the UFC really seems to like him but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Phan who could do more damage overall at the 145 division.

Responses

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

12.05.2010 | 7:39 PM ET

i like brookins....but winning tuf doesnt always guarantee you success.....so ill go with nam phan 

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

Bonnell
Bonnell
  • Predictions:  175  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  16
  • Post Score: 131

12.06.2010 | 8:05 AM ET

Nam was a tiny 55 on the show but seeing him in the ring with Garcia made him look like a bantamweight. I think Nam does well but he's as well rounded and polished as he's gonna get. Brookins has a lot to improve on. he's winning fights at this level with no stand-up. once he developes some striking he'll be dangerous. He outlasts Nam Phan

"Worry gives a small thing a big shadow"

TheMope
TheMope
  • Predictions:  101  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 46

12.06.2010 | 9:55 AM ET

Nam probably has a more well rounded set of skills now, and he looked much better at 145, but I'm still going to give the nod to Brookins. Where he's good, he's really good, and I'm expecting to see at least some marked improvement in his striking in his next outing

"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is Me. The Other is Godzilla."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,571
  • Post Score: 275

12.06.2010 | 10:07 AM ET

Good points Bonnell and Mope

"I live, I die, I live again."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.06.2010 | 11:34 AM ET

I think Brookins has more potential for improvement. Phan has been in the game a long time and never made it. He's solid but he will likely be what he always was, a journeyman. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.06.2010 | 11:41 AM ET

Agree mostly with Bigj. Although, I also think it's worth pointing out that one-dimensional grapplers tend to fare better than one-dimensional strikers in this sport, at least from my perspective. Even if Brookins doesn't improve his stand-up, his grappling will take him further than Phan's striking.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

TheMope
TheMope
  • Predictions:  101  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 46

12.07.2010 | 7:12 AM ET

After everything we heard from Brookins in his TUF interviews, when the pre-fight package showed him training outside as if he was preparing for the Highland Games, I was not surprised at all. Definitely something can be said for his conditioning, though, maybe we should all be chucking Wagon wheels about.

"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is Me. The Other is Godzilla."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Spence should pay former trainer his worth
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Errol Spence should pay Derrick James his worth
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier adds short-notice debutant Mitch Raposo
  • MMA Mania : Mouthy Mac Warned To ‘Be Careful’ With Khabib Critique
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier stars in new Bud Light commercial ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor adopts 'cold in the soul' approach, won't fight with animosity in UFC return
  • MMAFighting.com : Husband and coach of UFC fighter arrested for alleged sexual abuse of child
  • MMA Mania : Finalized! UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Mitch Raposo steps into UFC 302 for debut vs. Andre Lima
  • MMA Junkie : Stamp Fairtex out of ONE 167 due to injury, scheduled ONE 168 champ vs. champ bout in question
  • UFC.com : Islam Makhachev’s Career Highlights | Title Wins To Best Finishes
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje credits fight style for his bigger UFC paydays
  • UFC.com : Flyweight Thriller Between Alex Perez And Tatsuro Taira Headlines At UFC APEX
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Who’s Next For Mix And Murphy?
  • UFC.com : UFC Lightweight Title Lineage
  • MMA Mania : Brennan Arrested For Alleged Sexual Abuse
  • Bad Left Hook : Fisher vs Babic headlines July 6 NXTGEN show
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO president compares Dana White to NBA’s David Stern when it comes to building superstars
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Leon Edwards welcomes Conor McGregor title defense: 'That needs to happen'
  • Bad Left Hook : Davies, Heaney, Cameron highlight July 20 Magnificent Seven show