Topic: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira

Gustafsson vs. Teixeira

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,622  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,556
  • Post Score: 60

02.26.2017 | 12:30 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Gustafsson vs. Teixeira. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.26.2017 | 12:30 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   wrong Decision  

Expected for May in Stockholm.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Kstevens90
Kstevens90
  • Predictions:  719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 133

02.26.2017 | 3:25 AM ET

Love both fighters, so not a huge fan of this fight but really the only fight to make for both fighters. Gus via Dec
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

02.26.2017 | 5:16 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Hate being over-confident in fights, but this has a Gus victory all over it.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 days, 3 hours, and 54 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.26.2017 | 1:51 PM ET

I have Gus but Teixiera could put him.out in one punch.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,996  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

02.26.2017 | 1:57 PM ET

I'll likely end up picking Gus in the end, but this isn't really a "gimmie fight" by any means. Gus was getting scored against on the feet by Jan Blachowicz. Like RappinPap said, Glover packs a lot of power and could definitely get a knockout. Not to mention, Glover's wrestling is excellent and that could be bad news for Gus if that's what he needs to rely on like in his last fight. Both men seem to have lost a step, so it probably evens out to the point where I still take Gus. 

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,038  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

02.26.2017 | 3:44 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Teixeira   wrong Decision  

I might take Glover in this.Alex had a very uninspiring performance in his last fight.Iirc he was getting beat up on the feet and I don't think he can out grapple Glover.He looked really off,but it could simply be because Jan caught him and threw him off his game or possibly the year layoff.I like this as a 5 round fight too.It could come down to cardio or simply who's chin holds up better or both.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,128  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,258
  • Post Score: 189

02.26.2017 | 4:46 PM ET

Finally they made it!

The fight will probably not be as spectacular as we want but Texeira is probablly a little better on his feet and a little better on the ground. I thinkThat will be enought for him to win 3 rounds out of 5!

"Never go down without a fight"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.27.2017 | 2:15 AM ET

I actually think it's the other way around with Gus being much better on the feet (WAY faster, better combinations, footwork, all-around striking - Glover may have one punch KO power, but against a guy on Gus' level and considering how slow that punch is these days, I can't see how Glover is better on the feet) and a little better on the ground (I find it hard to believe that a guy who went toe-to-toe grappling Jon Jones and didn't fair too badly with DC would have any issues with Glover's grappling).

Gustafsson was the first guy to ever take down Jon Jones and stuffed 10(!!!) out of his 11 TD attempts. He also took DC down and stuffed 4 of his 5 TD attempts (the only guy not named Jon Jones to ever take DC down). Both of them are guys who seemingly take their opponents down at will and cannot be taken down by anyone not named Gustafsson or each other. How's Glover going to take him down? So yeah, on paper, Glover's got the better jitz, but the way the stats are piled, how well Gustafsson manages range and considering how much slower and less explosive and athletic Glover is I think this fight goes to the ground when and if Gustafsson wants it to and I don't think Glover will submit Gustafsson from the bottom.

So yeah, of course a BJJ black belt (and a legit one at that) can always catch a guillotine when taken down or throw something from the bottom, but I think that taking all gappling-based parameters into consideration that Gustafsson has the advantage in that area too.

Just one note: Gustafsson's heart doesn't seem to be into it these days, as far as I can see, that's the only factor that goes Glover's way in this fight. If Gustafsson half-asses this fight he'll get caught in/with something or taken down (because TDD has a LOT to do with determination, not just technique). But other than that, longer, faster, more technical, better cardio, precision, wrestling ... they all go in the Swede's favour.

* Edited at 02.27.2017, 7:15 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.27.2017 | 7:47 AM ET

Either way, this should be good.

Hyrm
Hyrm

02.27.2017 | 11:01 AM ET

@yossgold

Gustafson looks good against Jones but did it was due to his skill or to Jones bad performance (probably lack of training for this fight)? Gustafson striking, at this time, seem at the Jon Jones level. But he been overstrike by Blackhovich! I personally think Texeira will have Knock Blackhovich from his feat!

I agree about the wrestling, but on the mat, Gustafson is not really a treat for top level guys. He probably have the best takedown defense in the division and his one of the best for the takedown (since Davis and Bader are no longer here) bur in his last 5 fight, he wasn't really dangerous either with submission or with ground and pound.

My opinion his Texeira will win 3 round in a close fight on the feet and if Gustafson land a takedown, he still won’t win cause Texeira with BJJ (and g&p if he reverses the position) will still win the round.

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

02.27.2017 | 1:18 PM ET

@Hyrm, I see where you're coming from. I personally disagree, but that's only my opinion, you could be right.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Hyrm
Hyrm

02.27.2017 | 1:28 PM ET

I also could be wrong, this is a close fight between 2 guys in the top 5! I like this kind of match-up!

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.27.2017 | 2:11 PM ET

Glover could take him down while in transition. Coleman got taken down by Shogun in their second first as an example. 

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

02.28.2017 | 10:30 AM ET

Alex fan for life but these guys are crazy going to Cuckistan / Absurdistan ( similar to Burma / Myanmar, double name ).... that's a Wasteland down there .. seriously

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

ItsssTIME
ItsssTIME
  • Predictions:  40  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: -342

04.22.2017 | 8:09 AM ET

That guy is still around i remember whne Jon Jones kickes his butt

"It's TIME !!! - Bruce Buffer"

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,939  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,376
  • Post Score: 39

05.22.2017 | 4:11 PM ET

neither guy wants to get ko'd here so it might be boring.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

05.23.2017 | 12:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Glover will probably be more aggressive but that will play into Gus' new strategy to a T

I expect a late TKO or UD for Gus.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 2 days, 3 hours, and 54 minutes from now.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

05.23.2017 | 4:50 AM ET

No matter what happens Swedish authorities should and will throw Alex in the slammer again, his transgressions are unassentable in the progressive Swedish state, they must nip their thugs at the bud, and show a proud example that the mens behaviorisms will not be tolerated in Sweden, they must be nice and non-withstanding. Sweden is a democriatic state, you see :)

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

05.23.2017 | 7:48 AM ET

Another well thought out post.

mckolob
mckolob
  • Predictions:  2,890  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: -42

05.26.2017 | 11:49 AM ET

Prediction: correct Gustafsson   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Gus KO 2 round

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Charles Oliveira willing to be backup for Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler – under one condition
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Backs ‘Legend’ Jose Aldo At UFC 301: ‘You Might See A F****** Vintage Fight’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 301 ceremonial weigh-in faceoffs with title fight headliner, Jose Aldo's return, more
  • MMA Mania : The King Of Rio Returns ... But Why?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Martinez Has Momentum
  • MMA Mania : Video! Canelo, Munguia Share Intense Final Face Off
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira responds to Jon Jones’ callout for ‘massive’ UFC heavyweight title bout
  • Middle Easy : UFC 303: Conor McGregor Boldly Claims He’d Beat Charles Oliveira, Michael Chandler In Same Night
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White to roast Tom Brady in upcoming live Netflix special
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Gambling Preview: Will Steve Erceg upset Alexandre Pantoja in Rio?
  • UFC.com : UFC 301 Embedded | All Episodes
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg prediction, pick: Is an upset looming at UFC 301?
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Elves Brener battle through scary weight cut with Charles Oliveira for UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : Jon Jones Passes on Tom Aspinall, Eyes Historic Showdown with Alex Pereira
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 weigh-in video at 5 p.m. ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Mungia weigh-in results: Canelo Alvarez on weight for title defense
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 Ceremonial Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : 'Honored' Alex Pereira loves Jon Jones fight pitch, but needs UFC green light for heavyweight shift
  • UFC.com : Ismael Bonfim Is Looking To Impress