Topic: Holloway vs. Lamas

Holloway vs. Lamas

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,816  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,668
  • Post Score: 60

04.20.2016 | 8:41 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Holloway vs. Lamas. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.20.2016 | 8:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Nice fight. 199 looks good.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

04.20.2016 | 8:52 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Just about to post this, gotta agree on the prediction too.
hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

04.20.2016 | 9:16 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

KEEPING THIS PICKING STREAK ALIVE!!!

TEAM HOLLOWAY!

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.20.2016 | 9:16 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Well, I am 0.7% smarter than you, so...

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Follow The Money
Follow The Money

04.20.2016 | 9:27 PM ET

Only on Tuesday my good friend.
dirtytomflint
dirtytomflint
  • Predictions:  2,794  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  26
  • Post Score: 165

04.20.2016 | 10:18 PM ET

Holloway should take this...

Prediction: correct Holloway   correct Decision  

It will be really interesting to see how the outcome of this fight, the outcome of Aldo Edgar 2, and Conor's ****storm affect the division.
dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  12,055  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

04.20.2016 | 10:39 PM ET

@HDMex Well, I guess I know who I'm picking... 

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Follow The Money
Follow The Money

04.20.2016 | 10:43 PM ET

It's always Team Holloway round these parts.

Speaking of him, him and his cousin started a gaming channel on youtube recently.
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

04.20.2016 | 11:22 PM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I'm a huge Max Holloway fan, and I have been since I saw his very first UFC fight against Dustin Poirier. At the time, Dustin Poirier was the next big thing in the FW when as a relative newcomer, he beat Josh Grispi when Grispi was the number 1 contender for Jose Aldo's belt (yes, I can't believe I'm actually typing this out but I swear to God it's true).

I forgot who Poirier was supposed to fight, but there was a last minute replacement and they decided to put some 4-0 kid with no hype behind him in as a squash match to boost Poirier's stock. So when the fight went down the way it did, needless to say that I was shocked. Holloway's performance was so impressive to me that I was convinced that he'd be a champion one day (I wasn't convinced he'd be able to beat Aldo, but definitely the next guy; at the time, Jose Aldo to me was the most unbeatable fighter in the world). I had only started watching MMA closely about 6 months prior so Max Holloway was really the first fighter whose career I've seen flesh out before my eyes.

I believe that a win against Ricardo Lamas will be the completion of his evolution as a fighter, but I think it will also be his toughest test to date. Holloway's striking is and has always been on another level from day one, but his biggest question mark has always been his grappling, and it's his grappling that's responsible for his first two losses (and it played a role in the last round of the fight against McGregor).

Against Dustin Poirier, Holloway showed very impressive takedown defense before being slammed, instantly mounted and then submitted. I am still convinced that Holloway beat Bermudez in their fight, and that fight featured Holloway stuffing multiple shots before gassing out in the third. Holloway showcased a very active guard in that fight and that was proof of his commitment to bettering his biggest weakness, grappling off of his back.

Ricardo Lamas is a better grappler than both of those guys but in my eyes, Lamas' biggest weakness is his fight IQ. If Lamas shows up mentally, Holloway will have arguably the biggest test of his career at UFC 199. Let's hope that he passes this one with flying colors.

"الله أكبرl"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.21.2016 | 2:10 AM ET

Prediction: correct Holloway   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

This better be a #1 contender fight for Max if he wins, he deserves a shot at that belt soon.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, and 52 minutes from now.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,564  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.21.2016 | 3:32 AM ET

I'm starting to think Holloway is just easy to pick ;)

Though I maintain I'm 11-1 on picking him because I believe he beat Dennis Bermudez. Which also answers some questions about his grappling @anik, Dennis, who's a very good grappler had a hard time with Holloway's TDD, he did eventually gets some, but had a hard time keeping him down. Conor out-wrestling him I think says more about Conor's offensive grappling than anything else and Poirier outgrappling him I can easily attribute to age, debut, experience and 11 days notice.

I agree that it's hard to ignore the fact that the 3 losses on his record were in fact won by grappling (though Conor was also beating him standing while he still had two whole ACLs), but I don't think it'll be as much of a factor in this fight. I don't think Lamas will try to grapple as much since he fancies himself a top-notch striker (when he eventually does, I believe it'll be desperation shots after Holloway embarrasses him on the feet). 

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,556  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

04.21.2016 | 7:52 AM ET

Good history of picks there.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,988  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,380
  • Post Score: 40

05.26.2016 | 12:59 PM ET

max is clearly the favorite, but lamas is probably the best guy he's fought outside of conor so idk if he'll find a finish.
DewbieMonster
DewbieMonster
  • Predictions:  69  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: -162

06.03.2016 | 9:47 PM ET

SURPRISE: Lamas was never really all that good. :P
Toxxus
Toxxus
  • Predictions:  34  |  70.6%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 13

06.03.2016 | 9:58 PM ET

Hawaiian Max Holloway by accumulation of damage
Vagrant
Vagrant
  • Predictions:  5,557  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: 92

06.04.2016 | 1:22 AM ET

Fight of the night, close maybe split decision and Holloway gets the nod.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Confident Islam Makhachev Will Be a ‘Very Easy Fight’ for Him After Seeing Him at UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Raul Rosas Jr. slighted by Ricky Turcios' criticism of his withdrawal, confident he'll 'put him out' at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMA Mania : White Lie: Power Slap ‘Has More Viewers Than Any Taylor Swift Video Ever Posted’
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Jared Cannonier still make a title run or will Nassourdine Imavov end the dream at UFC Louisville?
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Pereira: Everybody talks about Magomed Ankalaev's grappling, 'but they don't know my ground'
  • MMA Mania : FIGHT LIFE! Poirier Details Extent Of Multiple Injuries
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 poster released featuring champs Leon Edwards, Tom Aspinall
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Marcos: UFC on ESPN 57 a great opportunity to stop John Castañeda, close in on rankings
  • MMA Junkie : Nassourdine Imavov: Jared Cannonier won't hit me like he did 'punching bag' Marvin Vettori
  • Middle Easy : There is ‘Great Positivity’ That the UFC 303 Headliner Between Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Will Move Forward
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC antitrust settlement agreement submitted to the court for approval
  • MMA Mania : Makhachev Would Have Been ‘Very Easy Fight’ For Tsarukyan At UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC antitrust settlement agreement includes new contract provisions for fighters
  • UFC.com : BRAD KATONA: ADDRESSING THE BOTTLENECK
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC, RIZIN announce talent swap partnership with bareknuckle fights headed to Japan
  • Jits Magazine : Polaris Announces First Ever Gi Grand Prix
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC partners with RIZIN on co-promoted events, talent exchange, expansion into Japan
  • MMA Mania : Hall Pass? Rockhold Wants UFC Return Vs. ‘Fake Little B—ch’ Strickland
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC partners with RIZIN on co-promoted events, talent exchange, and expansion into Japan
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland responds to Luke Rockhold's callout: 'Xtreme? I'll f*ck you up for fun'