Topic: Jones vs. St. Preux

Jones vs. St. Preux

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,637  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,575
  • Post Score: 60

04.02.2016 | 6:41 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Jones vs. St. Preux. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.02.2016 | 6:41 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Doesn't do much for me, but I know they had sparse options. Rumble had a dental procedure recently and can't put in a mouthpiece. Other option was an Evans rematch, which would be lame.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

04.02.2016 | 6:45 PM ET

rooting for OSP

Not a fight i would have thought of but it's a good one. If jones isnt locked up by fight day.

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,233  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

04.02.2016 | 6:58 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

This isn't me going with my head (obviously), or my heart... This is just me being stupid as **** and picking based solely on who I want to win.

On another note, this isn't a fight I would've thought we'd never see, but it's definitely a fight I can get behind.

* Edited at 04.02.2016, 7:01 PM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.02.2016 | 7:09 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Jones ends him early, tough break for OSP, but this is his chance to shine, now or never.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 day, 2 hours, and 28 minutes from now.
Osantowski
Osantowski

04.02.2016 | 7:43 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

jones stuffs OSP's takedown attempts. Either catches him with something big and pounds him out or takes him down/sprawl and lands punches and pounds him out for the TKO finish
Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

04.02.2016 | 8:04 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

OSP has the longest reach out of any of Jones' previous opponents, but I highly doubt he has what is takes to truly capitalise on it.

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

04.02.2016 | 9:17 PM ET

I honestly like this fight. I like OSP, but I don't think he would ever be able to win a number one contender fight. Plus, this way Rumble can still fight Jones down the line.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

04.02.2016 | 10:52 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Griffy, bigger reach than Gustafsson?

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

04.02.2016 | 10:55 PM ET

@ rappinpapsoda, not by much, but he does

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

04.02.2016 | 11:37 PM ET

In my opinion OSP is a harder fight for Jones than a lot of his "MURDER'S ROW" opponents. Rampage and Shogun most namely. It will be interesting to see how OSP approaches this fight, sometimes he's fairly reserved and lets the fight come to him against Jones however I think his only really chance is to make something happen early and gain momentum in the fight. 

It's not a great fight, should be an easy one for Jones but I don't exactly hate it either. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

04.03.2016 | 1:23 AM ET

I liked it when the UFC had an unofficial rule that they didn't have interim title fight unless the champion was out for more then a year. This sets a bad precedent.

It's weird that both Jose Aldo and Jon Jones are fighting for a friken interim title.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

04.03.2016 | 1:36 AM ET

Of course Jones should win, but as much as I hate to say it... Jones' layoff and ********... Plus OSP's unorthodox awkwardness... you never know man. 
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

04.03.2016 | 4:46 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Not bad given the available options, but they should've just taken the belt off the line, Cormier defended his belt 5 months ago! That's nothing in combat sports. He's contractually obligated to defend it twice a year and it seems he'll have absolutely no issues doing that so creating an interim title just so they can market a champ vs. champ grudge fight down the line just deflates the champ vs. champ tagline's marketability,

I think the same goes for Conor's "interim belt" (and Aldo was out for WAY longer than Cormier) and a few others I can think of.

And then people ask me why I don't give a rat's ass about belts and rankings anymore. For quite a while now, I watch the sport for the fights only, who's champ and who's contender is just marketing and since I consider myself a hardcore fan, there's no need to market the sport to me.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

FaceStomper
FaceStomper
  • Predictions:  4,891  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,399
  • Post Score: 224

04.03.2016 | 10:26 AM ET

I hate the interim belt now, seems to be on every card. There is literally no buzz going around about this fight. I can see this doing 350,000 buys at most.

"You fight midgets" - Nate Diaz

putaforkinya
putaforkinya
  • Predictions:  10,025  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  736
  • Post Score: 236

04.03.2016 | 10:29 AM ET

@yossgold agreed.
They're totally taking away the credibility of these interim belts.
It's almost like the number 2 ranked fighter should have an interim belt. Either way if this is the case or not I have always thought that they should have either had the interim belts silver or smaller. Having them the exact same size and design as the ACTUAL belt seems like all marketing.

I am Especially surprised that they made one of this fast considering in Alexander gustafsson's "retirement post" he made fun of the fact that they seem to give out interim belts like candy. And speaking of Alexander... I wonder if he was offered this fight, would have been funny to see him fight for an interim one day after making light of them giving interim shots to easily.

" holy **** did you see that?, baddest ***********er ever, hooooly ****" -Dana White seconds after Silva KO'd Vitor

twspencer91
twspencer91
  • Predictions:  21,896  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  822
  • Post Score: 246

04.03.2016 | 12:39 PM ET

I'm just glad Jones still has a fight, and I've always been an OSP fan because you can tell he has put in so much effort in educating himself in MMA. But I agree, there is no reason this should be for an interim belt, much like Aldo-Edgar II shouldn't be for anything but a number one contender's match. Only problem with that is the #1 contender status doesn't mean **** in the UFC considering how many times people have been passed over for title shots, so the UFC has kind of put themselves in a position where that's the only way to guarantee a fighter can get a title shot once the real champion comes back. 

All that being said, DC is supposed to be ready by August-September so making this for an interim belt is just the UFC's way of making sure Mighty Mouse doesn't have to headline a PPV.  

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a **** like a burmese python, and the mind of a ******* scientist."

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,048  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

04.03.2016 | 2:28 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

If Jones wins this will be the first time the interim champion is the more credible one since like, what? Mir and Lesnar maybe? And unlike Mir Jones is unlikely to lose his title rematch.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Anaconda_Choke
Anaconda_Choke
  • Predictions:  643  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 266

04.03.2016 | 3:56 PM ET

Prediction: wrong St. Preux   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

How many times does Jon Jones have to embarrass himself and make the UFC look bad before he's punished accordingly? If this were any other fighter other than himself, McGregor, or Rousey they'd have been cut by now. I seriously think the dude has mental issues. His IQ is probably around 80. It has to be for him to continuously break the law for the way he drives. Seriously, at what point do you realize that you operating a motor vehicle is detrimental to your career and is flat out dangerous? How many tickets and lawsuits does he have to go through before it clicks? He should have been cut and given a massive suspension after fleeing the scene of a hit and run where the victim was a pregnant woman. He's a 29 year old child and as long as people keep letting him off the hook for these crimes because of who he is he'll continue to be an irresponsible moron. I honestly hope the guy continues to **** up, ****s up to the point of no return, and never gets his rematch with DC. Give him a few years to sit in a prison cell and think about his behavior while he's still young enough for the lesson to sink in and for him to change his life for the better. Until he can go longer than a few months without having a run in with the law he doesn't deserve the opportunity to fight for hundreds of thousands of dollars. It makes the UFC brass look like a bunch of hypocritical *******s for disciplinary decisions they've made in the past regarding fighters.

DW: "Sorry Miguel Torres we have to cut you for making a joke"

DW: "Sorry Tyler Manawaroa, you made a racially insensitive joke on a social media site years ago, you can't fight for us." 

DW: "Oh, hey Jon! How ya doing champ?! You got a little bit of brains and hair clogged up in the grill of your car there champ. Let us get that for ya. You need anything else champ? OF COURSE you're still fighting at 197, it was just a speeding ticket and verbal abuse of a police officer. Don't even worry about it champ."
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
Follow The Money
Follow The Money
  • Predictions:  5,951  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,031
  • Post Score: 150

04.03.2016 | 4:25 PM ET

Im kind of mad you took the time to type that out..yeah...it's not fair. But what did you expect?
Anaconda_Choke
Anaconda_Choke
  • Predictions:  643  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 266

04.03.2016 | 5:53 PM ET

Prediction: wrong St. Preux   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I type around 90 words per minute. Don't be mad, homie.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, and 45 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC 301 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Elves Brener vs. Myktybek Orolbai - The fighters are being introduced by the announcer.
  • Join the UFC 301 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Elves Brener 21% Myktybek Orolbai 79%
  • Elves Brener (16-3-0) SP, BR is the #94th Top Welterweight MMA fighter.
  • Myktybek Orolbai (12-1-1) Osh Province, KG is the #44th Top Welterweight MMA fighter.
  • UFC 301 features 13 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil