Topic: Alvarez vs. Cerrone

Alvarez vs. Cerrone

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,673  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,585
  • Post Score: 60

07.31.2014 | 12:38 AM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Alvarez vs. Cerrone. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

07.31.2014 | 12:38 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Alvarez   wrong Decision  

This one would certainly qualify as the rumored Mega co-main event announcement to bolster what I would call one of the top 5 greatest cards in UFC history, no question. 

Although, I have a bad feeling Sherdog leaking news of the ongoing negotiations could make Viacom want to retain Alvarez's services. Hopefully it works out.

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 12:42 AM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,005  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

07.31.2014 | 12:43 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Alvarez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Scotty Coker will make Uncle Dana happy.

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.31.2014 | 12:44 AM ET

Prediction: correct Cerrone   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Seems strange that Coker wouldn't bank on his last fight for a great champion vs. champion Bellator headliner, it's not as if Bellator has anyone with anything close to Alvarez' star power there and Eddie has no problem finishing out his contract. Very strange, but you won't find me complaining, I'll take Alvarez vs. Cerrone over Alvarez vs. Brooks any day of the week.

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 12:46 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  35,005  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

07.31.2014 | 12:46 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Alvarez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Because Scotty Coker is still loyal to Dana. White knows the dudes from Spike and don't think he didn't discuss with Viacom that Coker was better for them than Bjorn.

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 12:49 AM ET *

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

07.31.2014 | 1:03 AM ET

This is nothing but a wild rumor at this point. Coker would be ******** to just give Alvarez up before his final fight on the current contract is complete. Alvarez is a name. If this does come into fruition, **** the UFC for moving this from Toronto.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

07.31.2014 | 1:06 AM ET

Prediction: correct Cerrone   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

PLEASE FIGHT GODS I PRAY TO YOU, MAKE THIS FIGHT HAPPEN!!!!

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

07.31.2014 | 1:07 AM ET

MY BODY IS READY!
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

07.31.2014 | 1:28 AM ET

This actually might be the best thing for Bellator. If they don't feel like they could resign Alvarez might as well let him go right now and promote Brooks to LW champion.

It would be disastrous for Bellator to have Alvarez to beat Brooks after beating Chandler, then just run off to the UFC. Now Bellator can just move forward with Brooks without Alvarez ruining him first.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

yossgold
yossgold

07.31.2014 | 1:43 AM ET

@unbeknownst, I thought about that too, though it's not like Eddie leaving without beating Brooks adds him credibility. Either way people will say Eddie would beat him anyway. But think how big it would be for them if Brooks actually beat Eddie. Worth the chance.

Plus, at this point I think Coker's ditched Bjorn's "our champions can beat UFC champions" theme and is going with the "we're not competing against the UFC but will put some pretty rad fights on for you guys" theme he had at Strikeforce, so having Brooks lose to Eddie wouldn't be too damaging.

All in all, a promotion's legacy fight can happen on any given card. Pettis/Bendo made the last WEC card a milestone in MMA and the organization's legacy, I think it would be smarter the open the window for Eddie's farewell fight to be a memorable send-off rather than him just phasing into the UFC (if it had been known that his second fight vs. Chandler was his last it would've been perfect but it wasn't).

Not that it makes any difference, just think that wasting the last fight on your most bankable star's contract is worth much more tha anything Brooks will even mount to (from a star power POV) at Bellator so by "protecting" Brooks they wouldn't gain a lot, imo.

I think this is more about building a trust lane with the UFC than anything else, Dana wants to shut everyone up by selling 1,000,000 PPVs on a card and I'm pretty sure he wants Jones to be the one to do it because like him or not he's becoming the face of the sport. I have a feeling the minute they set Jones/Gus they knew that was the headliner they stack behind to silence the "PPV is dying" talks and "GSP and Anderson are gone, you have no more 1,000,000 PPV stars left" talks so they hit Coker up for a solid. Wild imaginary guess-work? Could be.

The person we need to thank for a stacked UFC 178 is Gustafsson, for giving the sport's biggest star a beating and making their rematch a marketing milestone :)

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 2:08 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

07.31.2014 | 2:09 AM ET

I think it's short sighted to think by not having Brooks try to beat Alvarez that it'll be held over his head. Brooks can go on a long reign as Bellator LW champion and people will give him credit for that and may start assuming that he would of beaten Alvarez had they fought.

This isn't the end of Bellator, like it was for WEC. It's a new beginning for all. Right now I think most MMA fans associate Bellator with the Alvarez dispute. If Alvarez fought again for Bellator the leading headline would always be, "Is this Alvarez' last fight for Bellator?" Now with a new beginning for all involved, they can can control the headline and make it all positive.

I still think that this is best thing for us fans, the UFC, Alvarez, and Bellator.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

yossgold
yossgold

07.31.2014 | 2:21 AM ET

Brooks can go on the same reign and gain the same credibility (or belief that he can beat Alvarez) whether he loses to him now or not since he's young in his career and if he starts taking names they'll say "he was young then, it's not the same fighter". Still think that one last Alvarez fight would be the right way to go, but I see your point and you may be right, just not totally on board myself because in my opinion, win or lose, it's these fights that build stars not how many wins they have on their records. The best way to build Brooks would be to have him fight as many bigger names as possible, they most likely won't get another chance to give him someone as big as Alvarez in Bellator any time soon.

A hard fought loss in a bloody war to Alverez would build up his name and star power much more than 10 Bellator title defenses.

As for the "not the end of Bellator", you're right, but it would be Alverez' last fight and it would generate much more eyes than Brooks' first defense. Now if that fight turns out to be a memorable one, it swings a ****load of momentum Bellator's way even though Alverez is leaving, that's just the way it goes, the fight goes down in bellator history and solidifies the promotion's name. That kind of momentum and passing of the torch is the perfect scenario for the new beginning. Again, my opinion on the matter only, you may very we'll be seeing the situation better than I am.

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 2:28 AM ET *

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,024  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

07.31.2014 | 3:46 AM ET

Prediction: correct Cerrone   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Dear BasedGod please let this be real...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

07.31.2014 | 8:01 AM ET

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

yossgold
yossgold

07.31.2014 | 8:33 AM ET

@unbeknownst, whether it's the right move or not, it lookד like Bellator are doing is from the reasons you stated (not building up Brooks per say, just not having their sole LW champ walk away with the belt):

1. Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani  2m

Coker has been here before. He washed his hands of Shields when he was SF champ. The plan at 1 time was to do same. Get ahead of the game.

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 10:52 AM ET *

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

07.31.2014 | 11:28 AM ET

holy crap! when did this happen??? awesome!
yossgold
yossgold

07.31.2014 | 11:29 AM ET

:)

* Edited at 07.31.2014, 11:29 AM ET *

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.31.2014 | 11:30 AM ET

Epic fight! Dayum.. I think Alvarez nicks it.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

07.31.2014 | 12:01 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Alvarez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Thanks Dana. lol

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

07.31.2014 | 12:14 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Alvarez   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

joking_joe
joking_joe
  • Predictions:  6,589  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  945
  • Post Score: 393

07.31.2014 | 4:25 PM ET

Prediction: correct Cerrone   correct Decision  

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean O’Malley’s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz Boxing Match Moved From June 1 to July 6 in Anaheim
  • MMAFighting.com : Muhammad Mokaev faces Manel Kape at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • MMA Mania : Mokaev Vs. Kape In The Works For UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Pokes Fun at Islam Makhachev’s Performance on Punching Machine Ahead of UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO Group Holdings suffered net loss of $249.5 million in 2024 first quarter largely due to UFC antitrust settlement
  • Bad Left Hook : Mercado vs Ali targeted for Estrada vs Bam undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Top flyweight contenders Manel Kape, Muhammad Mokaev targeted for UFC 304 clash
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Sonnen, Perry, Smith, and Sandhagen now