Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Movies

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

05.28.2014 | 7:50 PM ET

I went back all the way to the 20th page and didn't see anyone who started a thread about movies. If there is one, just let this thread sink away into the abyss of thread history, but if not, this is something we can talk about. We've got one for every sport, music, and TV shows. So I figured might as well.

* Edited at 05.28.2014, 7:51 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Responses Page 40

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.23.2015 | 2:37 PM ET

Yessir.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

06.23.2015 | 3:26 PM ET

I don't see anything wrong with releasing TnT and HnH as a double feature. Both are unashamedly aimed at children, and although they couldn't be more different in terms of mood and atmosphere, one takes place during the very end of WW2 while the other takes place in the almost immediate aftermath (13 years later). Also, HnH was much more commercially safe, and was partially used in order to promote TnT.

While HnH had the downer ending of downer endings, in Japan animation aimed at children don't necessarily have to keep their protagonists safe. Hell, japanese TV series have been killing their child protagonists since at least 1975.

I also don't buy that HnH is the best, or even comes close to being the best, Ghibli feature film. It is an emotionally scarring but ultimately simplistic tale, and both Takahata and Miyazaki are capable of writing more complex, if not objectively better, movies in their sleep. I think that the fact that HnH met such critical acclaim in the west had more to do with the fact that its writing is much closer to what western audiences usually come in contact with. Good movie? Yes. But not nearly as ambitious or groundbreaking as rotten tomatoes would make one believe.

Other than that, I agree with pretty much everything you have written.

Miyazaki has definitely earned his retirement. It was nice to see a great director/writer still making masterpieces such as The Wind Rises and Spirited Away well into his 70's.

EDIT: By the way, there are two Ghibli movies that are deep into "timeless masterpiece" territory that weren't directed by either Takahata or Miyazaki. Those are Ocean Waves and Whisper of the Heart. Have you watched those? I highly reccomend both.

* Edited at 06.23.2015, 3:37 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.23.2015 | 4:10 PM ET

Thanks for the feedback. In fairness, I never said Grave was the best movie they made ... I don't even think it's in the top 5, personally.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 228

06.28.2015 | 12:31 PM ET

I need some good horror movie suggestions. Something gritty and dark. If you've ever played The Evil Within or Condemned: Criminal Origins, something like that.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

06.28.2015 | 4:14 PM ET

It's been a while so of course I've seen a ton of movies since last posting most recently saw "Dope" which is an excellent film about a straight A geek and his friends who are in a punk band and love 90's culture. They live in the bottoms of Inglewood CA and he is applying to Harvard but gets set on an unfortunate series of events after a chance invite to a party. 

Before that we saw "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" which is a slightly different approach to the child with cancer movies. The story focuses on a teen named Greg who becomes friends with a girl named Rachel who was just diagnosed with Leukemia. It is more focused on how Greg deals with her illness.  

Also saw "Ted 2" which was pretty crap that had a bunch of recycled jokes from family guy. Couple of funny moments but overall dissapointing.  

Saw "Inside Out" which is excellent and moving. Of course saw "Jurassic World" which was solid. Not near on "Jurassic Park" level but better than either "The Lost World" or "Jurassic Park III". Also saw "Spy" which was hilarious and I usually don't like Melissa McCarthy.  Saw a bunch of others as well just can't remember them all right now. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

06.28.2015 | 4:19 PM ET

Inside Out is a great movie. Pixar does it again. Lewis Black as Anger was one of my favorite parts of the whole movie. But be prepared cause Pixar takes your feels and wrecks it. Awesome movie.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  12,009  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

06.28.2015 | 6:37 PM ET

Well, BlackMetalCarson, there's Silence of the Lambs, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead, The Crazies and Oculus that are pretty good traditional horror films.

If you want something that's a little more lighthearted horror (in some cases), I'd point to The Cabin in the Woods, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Planet Terror and the Scream films.

This may not necessarily be horror, but a good ******-up revenge film is the remake of I Spit On Your Grave, and the sequel is pretty good too.

I watched The Babadook with a friend last night as well. It was alright, we were slightly let down by it, but a lot of other people liked it.

* Edited at 06.28.2015, 6:39 PM ET *

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32

06.28.2015 | 7:29 PM ET

My favorite is Evil Dead. I'm looking for something campy, gory, and supernatural just like Evil Dead or at least similar. I'm very picky when it comes to movies. I never really cared for Nightmare on Elm Street. I liked the Conjuring pretty well.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,753  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

06.28.2015 | 9:05 PM ET

Good horror films are hard to find these days

The Purge: Anarchy (It's not groundbreaking, but it's an entertaining b-film)

Pandorum (This has Cung Le in it, it's a neat horror flick where members of a space ship wake up and have no memory. They are not alone)

John Dies at the End (Street drug sends people across time and different dimensions. They sometimes come back as not human. What begins is an invasion)

Stake Land (The world has collapsed and vampires rule the wasteland. A hunter trains a teenager.)

The Revenant (War vet gets turned into a vampire, comes back home and hilarity & horror ensue when his friend helps him find blood and fight crime)

Wolf Cop (Hilarious Canadian film about an alcoholic cop who gets turned into a werewolf and fights crime. Like a grindhouse film.)

Hatchet (Hilariously gory b-film about a swamp haunted by a horrific killer. Tourists pay the price, with their lives.)

Fallen (Little talked about film. A serial killer is executed, but soon after the killings start again and are very similar.)

Attack the Block (Teens fight an alien invasion, has Nick Frost from Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead in it.)

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,982  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

06.28.2015 | 9:10 PM ET

@BlackMetalCarson

I've been watching horror for a long time. Since you seem to be into the same style of music and anime as I am, I'm assuming you'll enjoy some of the same horror as well. These might be a little too "campy" for you, but if you're into the original Evil Dead you might get some joy from them:

The Church
The House Of The Devil
The Gate
Dead Alive
Suspiria
The Beyond
Evil Dead Trap
Demons
Near Dark
Pumpkinhead
C.H.U.D.
Tenebre

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  12,009  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

06.28.2015 | 9:41 PM ET

I wouldn't say it's supernatural, but I'd recommend I Know What You Did Last Summer then. Great teen slasher that's fun and campy, and had its fair share of blood I believe. I liked it a lot, and there's a great cast (love Sarah Michelle Gellar).

Scream series is very campy, but I'd imagine you've seen at least the first one. 

And Cabin In The Woods is amazing and campy at the same time. Joss Whedon basically parodied the horror genre even more than Scream. It's deliciously campy with plenty of blood, and you might appreciate the humor.

* Edited at 06.28.2015, 9:46 PM ET *

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

06.28.2015 | 10:30 PM ET

@BlackMetalCarson Jacob's Ladder was influential for videogames like Silent Hill, so I'd probably recommended Jacob's Ladder as you can clearly see it's influences on The Evil Within. You as an anime fan, a dark post apocalyptic anime movie called Angel's Egg is a good one if you enjoy atmospheric films. 

Shout out to Oldnick, I love Dario Argento. Tenebre is such an upbeat 80s horror film meets Giallo. The color saturation in Argentos work is a real gift to cinematography. Demons was a Lamberto Brava film right? Really loved that movie too (amazing setting) one of my not so obvious horror favorites along with films like Phantasm or Dellamorte Dellamore to name a few.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,982  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,409
  • Post Score: 322

06.29.2015 | 1:20 AM ET

@nomad I love most of the Italian horror directors. Argento, Fulci, Lenzi, Lamberto Bava, Mario Bava, etc.

...but what really got me into the genre was because of the band Goblin who did the soundtracks for Tenebre, Suspiria, Zombi, Phenomena, etc. etc.

You get a vote up for Phantasm. There is a new Phantasm movie coming out not directed by Coscarelli, but it's still produced by him. Not really sure how I feel about it, but will watch it regardless.

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

06.29.2015 | 1:29 AM ET

Ex Machina is one of the best movies I've seen in the last decade.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

06.29.2015 | 3:09 AM ET

@OldNick, I always loved the soundtracks and thusly discovered Goblin early on myself.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413

06.29.2015 | 6:42 AM ET

the thing that stopped me gettng into cabin in the woods as much as id have liked is it came out here just after the first avengers film. so by that point it wasnt chris hemsworth in the film it was thor, so there was a voice in the back of my head saying 'why does thor not use his powers to get the mortals out of peril' the whole way through.
my other half says i have trouble with the concept of actors doing more than one thing (she insists the hologram doctor from voyger wasnt sent back in time to the later years of stargate or one episode of the x-files)- i do play up to it sometimes with comments about lilly casting spells or her past at bandcamp when shes watching how i met your mother.

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

wilflet
wilflet
  • Predictions:  8,201  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,413

06.29.2015 | 7:04 AM ET

oh and for blackmetals horror/gore recomendations - depending on your feelings on the torture **** subgenre (and/or subtitles- as its in thai)  this might be worth a shot. no idea whether it was ever released in america but i came across it for two pound in a shop in london when i had 27hrs to kill alone in a hotel room (it was cheaper to pay me to sit around in the same city than send me away and back again), read the description on the back and thought id challenge myself to eat lunch watching it, i managed but it was close.

im showing you the cover rather than just telling you the name because whilst in the uk it was released as (the) meat grinder in thailand it was initially "Guay-dteow Neua Kon" (ก๋วยเตี๋ยว เนื้อ คน), literally "human meat noodles" but then changed to "Cheuat Gon Chim" (เชือด ก่อน ชิม), "carve before tasting" - thanks wikipiedia- so potentially you could find it under one of several titles but the artwork seems to be the same.

for those curious the scene i think hes refering to around fifty seven minutes is a pretty well edited piece thats done to look like its a single shot that starts with a victim restrained and begging for his life and goes through dismemberment, killing, butchering and right into cooking. 
for me that wasnt the hardest bit to watch either, right near the start theres someone getting their hand nailed to the floor- not through the hand but one nail through each finger through the fingernail, its a small woman using the hammer and a concrete floor so each one takes a few shots and it shows all of them... thats where most people iv shown this to have decided its not the film for them.

"Demons run when a good man goes to war."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

07.03.2015 | 3:29 PM ET

Saw Terminator Genisys on Wednesday. Very dissapointing movie, there is just so much wrong with it. Plot holes on plot holes with paradoxes, bad acting stupid story. It has a couple good action scenes but that's about it. They have been keeping a huge secret who Matt Smith plays and it was underwhelming when it's revealed. It was something that didn't need to be a secret because it doesn't impact the movie knowing it. I know they already planned two sequels but lets hope they change their mind this franchise has been damaged enough. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

07.03.2015 | 3:34 PM ET

I haven´t seen it yet, but this is the first terminator movie I´m not interested to watch, probably will though, eventually during a lazy drunken sunday.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

subscape
subscape
  • Predictions:  3,294  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  90
  • Post Score: 133

07.03.2015 | 5:33 PM ET

@theMMAmessiah
Totally agree, best film I've seen in ages!
Oscar Isaac is really good in A Most Violent Year as well, if you liked him in Ex Machina I'd recommend this

* Edited at 07.03.2015, 5:41 PM ET *

"When you can't see the angles no more, you're in trouble"

Page 40

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Michel Pereira Lands Crazy Backflip Pass Into Controversial Submission Win At UFC 301
  • Jits Magazine : Tony Ferguson Reveals That He Has Been Offered A Grappling Match With Charles Oliveira
  • MMA Mania : Alvarez Clowned De La Hoya After Win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 post-fight show: Reaction to Alexandre Pantoja’s scare, Jose Aldo’s big return
  • MMA Mania : UFC 303 Gets ‘Foggy’ Teaser Trailer
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Canelo Dominates in Unanimous Decision Victory [Video Highlights]
  • MMA Mania : Video: Canelo Mocks Benavidez After Beating Munguia
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Have A Date, I’ll Let Boss Man Dana Announce That’
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya Reacts To Canelo Beating Munguia
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 bonuses: Michel Pereira snags extra $50,000 for monster finish of Ihor Potieria
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Back-Flipping Pereira Banks $50K
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 results: Alexandre Pantoja ekes by Steve Erceg to retain title in thrilling five-round battle
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia full fight video highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 bonuses: The Force is $50,000 strong with Mauricio Ruffy
  • MMA Junkie : Canelo Alvarez drops, beats overmatched Jaime Munguia to retain 168-pound title
  • MMA Mania : Resurgent Aldo Teases Second Run At UFC Title
  • MMA Junkie : Video replay: UFC 301 post-fight press conference