Topic: Weidman vs. Machida

Weidman vs. Machida

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,768  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,644
  • Post Score: 60

04.04.2014 | 2:43 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Weidman vs. Machida. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

07.05.2014 | 4:48 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Machida   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

But seriously, let's get over it and get back to the fight. Can Machida survive the ground and pound if he gets taken down? it looks pretty bad for those who Chris gets on top.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 4 hours, and 6 minutes from now.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

07.05.2014 | 4:49 PM ET

I thought Machida clearly beat Davis, and I did not find it close at all. Competitive yes, but not close/

"here I come to save the day"

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.05.2014 | 5:23 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

@mikeyg bruh, I skimmed through your post and I have come to the conclusion that the one with the 'butthurtitis' is usually the one who types a thousand-word reply to a guy who called you 'sensitive'.

"الله أكبرl"

bispingthebest
bispingthebest
  • Predictions:  1,055  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  185
  • Post Score: 17

07.05.2014 | 5:49 PM ET

Hahaha ^ right on true

"Win,Lose or Tie NICK DIAZ till I die"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.05.2014 | 6:17 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Machida   wrong Decision  

@mikeyg, since Chris is a legit 205er on fight night, I don't think the "stuffed 205ers TDs" holds that much ground, imo.

Also, Chris isn't a regular 185 wrestler, he's a freakishly good grappler who (as stated in this thread) has actually beaten two of the best wrestlers in the 205 division (haven't seen the Davis match and only know it happened from here in the thread, but the Bader match was VERY dominant on Chris' behalf - at least as far as my VERY limited knowledge of wrestling could see).

Chris also has much better striking which makes his wrestling even more of a problem and has top notch Jitz to compliment all that. So all in all, just because Machida could fend of a few 205ers (is Rashad a real 205er?), I think it says absolutely nothing about how he fares once he and Weidman enter close quarters.

That said, I picked Machida as a dog pick, and the only thing I he has going for him is that Weidman doesn't have the fastest hands in the business (to say the least) so if Machida manages to control distance, practically run for 25 minutes and get those bursts in he may win a close as **** decision - good enough for me to dog hunt.

The minute Chris closes in, Machida will (eventually) go down, and he will have to survive or get finished, imo. I don't see him stuffing too many TDs.

Oh, and 2,000 picks in 3 years is kinda cherry-picking ... nothing to be ashamed of, everyone should pick what he wants, no? It's not a bad thing until you start dissing people's pick %.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

07.05.2014 | 7:39 PM ET

Prediction: correct Weidman   correct Decision  

Well, to be fair, Weidman isn't a legit 205er on fight night. He might weigh ~205 in the cage, but most 205ers weigh 220-230 in the cage. I do think Weidman will have to fight for the takedown if he wants it. It's important to note that when Weidman wrestled Bader and Davis, there wasn't such a weight difference because they all wrestled in the same weight class. Since then, Davis and Bader have gotten much bigger than Weidman has. While I definitely think Weidman is much more skilled as a grappler than Bader or Davis, Machida has a much bigger advantage against grapplers/wrestlers at 185 than 205 simply because of the size difference. And Machida has always been hard to take down, no matter the opponent. 

That said, Weidman is talented and I do think he'll get Machida to the mat. However, I don't see him being able to hold him down for very long. Against Mousasi I thought Machida showed good (and quick) counter wrestling to get back to his feet. I realize Mousasi is not the wrestler Weidman is, but I think his technique will get him out of some nasty positions.

The way I see it, this fight is dead close. I picked Weidman because I think he'll get some takedowns and go for some submissions, which combined with his forward movement should give him the decision. I don't see Weidman finishing him, though. If Machida can work to the body with kicks like he did against Mousasi and land them well, I think that will open up the head kick for him, which is the only way I can see him winning, to be honest. But he's incredibly skilled and his head kicks have almost zero telegraph, so I expect him to land at least a couple and if he can set it up well enough, he might get the finish.

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

07.05.2014 | 9:35 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Machida   wrong Decision  

Just to chime in about the weight class difference and take downs. Bader and Davis are both bigger than Weidman but that does not mean much. First Machida is also smaller now than he was at LHW and Weidman being smaller than Davis and Bader will give him a speed advantage over either of those guys. Machida, being down a class, will also be faster. Plus as anyone with basic knowledge of wrestling/grappling will tell you, technique is the most important thing. Weidman has better technique than Davis and Bader.

In short when breaking down fights I don't like the "if fighter A couldn't do it then fighter B can't". There are WAY too many variables in fighting.

BORD3RLIN3
BORD3RLIN3

07.05.2014 | 10:35 PM ET

good fight
Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

07.05.2014 | 11:02 PM ET

great input there bud

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

07.06.2014 | 3:54 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Machida   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I doubted Weidman for too long like his fellow guido, Edgar.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

BORD3RLIN3
BORD3RLIN3

07.06.2014 | 3:14 PM ET

Jits get off my **** I sat upto 6am watching the fights I  will give whatever imput I want do you miss your buddy is that why your lashing out more this week once a day now
Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

07.06.2014 | 3:15 PM ET

No, I'm just letting you know that you had really good input to the thread.

BORD3RLIN3
BORD3RLIN3

07.06.2014 | 3:18 PM ET

mate you have put no input here the only input you have put in this topic is you being a hater . im keeping it mellow cos uno you cant take it

* Edited at 07.06.2014, 3:20 PM ET *

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

07.06.2014 | 3:21 PM ET

I don't know why you're mad? I'm letting you know that your post was great input.

5 people agreed with me.

BORD3RLIN3
BORD3RLIN3

07.06.2014 | 3:24 PM ET

whatever go play victim now :)

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Ready to Knock Islam Makhachev Unconscious at UFC 302: ‘The Ref’s Going to Be Pulling Me Off Him’
  • Middle Easy : Husband and Coach of UFC Fighter Hailey Cowan Arrested, Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor ‘Hundreds of Times’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says next fight after Curtis Blaydes has to be for undisputed belt: 'I'll wait it out if I have to'
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva opens as huge favorite over Chael Sonnen in July boxing match
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Spence should pay former trainer his worth
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Errol Spence should pay Derrick James his worth
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier adds short-notice debutant Mitch Raposo
  • MMA Mania : Mouthy Mac Warned To ‘Be Careful’ With Khabib Critique
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier stars in new Bud Light commercial ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor adopts 'cold in the soul' approach, won't fight with animosity in UFC return
  • MMAFighting.com : Husband and coach of UFC fighter arrested for alleged sexual abuse of child
  • MMA Mania : Finalized! UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Mitch Raposo steps into UFC 302 for debut vs. Andre Lima
  • MMA Junkie : Stamp Fairtex out of ONE 167 due to injury, scheduled ONE 168 champ vs. champ bout in question
  • UFC.com : Islam Makhachev’s Career Highlights | Title Wins To Best Finishes
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje credits fight style for his bigger UFC paydays
  • UFC.com : Flyweight Thriller Between Alex Perez And Tatsuro Taira Headlines At UFC APEX
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Who’s Next For Mix And Murphy?
  • UFC.com : UFC Lightweight Title Lineage
  • MMA Mania : Brennan Arrested For Alleged Sexual Abuse