Topic: Top Middleweights - 185 lbs.

Vitor Belfot above Silva in middleweight rankings?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

adammazdarx7
adammazdarx7
  • Predictions:  1  |  100.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 100

07.13.2013 | 1:36 AM ET

Whoever thinks this is seriously high on something. He is #3...

Responses

ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,151  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

07.13.2013 | 3:39 AM ET

I have him at #2 have you been seeing his fights lately? He just wrecked two back-to-back top 10 guys. Dude you have Khalidov at #4 i do agree he belongs in the UFC but in no way shape or form do wins over Kendall Grove and Melvin Manhoef get you the #4 spot.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

adammazdarx7
adammazdarx7
  • Predictions:  1  |  100.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 100

07.13.2013 | 5:19 AM ET

Okay, I'll admit I have a little bias for Khalidov but I agree with some of you positions and I do think he belongs in the top ten...but here is my new reasoning:

1. Chris Weidman: He beat the champion obviously so he is here.
2. Anderson Silva: He belongs here because he has practically wiped out the entire division before and those that he did not fight yet are either coming off loses and ranked below the three position and he's kicked Vitor's ass in the past. His resume speaks for itself including what he did to Belfort already...I don't think I need to go into detail on that one.
3. Vitor Belfort: He has beaten Bisping and Rockhold, two top 10's consecutively in a brutal fashion but, Silva was considered the no. lb for lb fighter in the world prior to this loss and there is no way he will be below Belfort.
4. Yushin Okami: He sucks and is very boring...but he is the only middleweight who has been winning in the ufc middleweight division consecutively against this so called "top competition" that includes alan belcher who's best win was against Patrick Cote who hasn't been top 10 in centuries and that one trick pony Palhares.
5. Michael Bisping: He's lucky he poked Belcher's eye. He does not impress me at all but, he's beaten a fair amount of good named fighters in this division.
6. Mark Munoz: He dominated Boetsch and is back in the picture.
7. Costa Philippou: I have no idea how he made it in the top 10 let alone the no. 7 spot. He is damn lucky he poked Boetsh's eye. He is literally one loss away from being out of the picture forever.
8.Ronaldo Souza: He's been winning four straight against decent competition and made a hell of an impression in his UFC debut.
9. Luke Rockhold: He was the champ. But he lost to your no. 2 guy and my no. 3 guy, so no shame in that, but he has really kicked some serious ass in the past and deserves to be in the top 10 despite a UFC victory.
10. Mamed Khalidov: He beating everyone they feed to him in Poland badly, and some ex-UFC fighters including 5/6 of his previous opponents, so he's fighting some good competition. I agree that Boetsch would be here if he didn't get that eye poked and they stopped the fight.
11. Tim Boetsch: Just were he belongs now.
12. Alan Belcher/Cung Le: I think Cung deserves this but I don't know for sure...I need another fight from both of them to make this call.
13. Aleksandr Shlemenko: He is the Bellator Champion and has been winning a lot lately
14. Tim Kennedy: Honestly nothing to say about him.
15. Hector Lombard: A real disappointment, I really thought he could offer something to this division, but I guess not, he beat Palhares nicely though. Good thing he's moving to welterweight were he can hopefully find success.

NOTES: Gegard Mousasi would surely be an exciting addition to this division. I don't know what happened to Chael, but he was a pretty good middleweight and would have probably remained top 5 if he stayed.
2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

07.13.2013 | 6:48 AM ET

Silva did not kick Belforts ass.  
KnockoutsRock21
KnockoutsRock21
  • Predictions:  17,407  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,011
  • Post Score: 251

07.13.2013 | 7:38 AM ET

True, he kicked his face through the uprights.

"Superman wears Chuck Liddell pajamas"

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

07.13.2013 | 10:30 AM ET

AS dominated this division for 7 years and just lost. He can't be below anyone but the champ.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

07.13.2013 | 10:36 AM ET

Rankings are opinions so OF COURSE he could be lower. He's 38 and it wouldn't be ridiculous at all to rank him lower thinking he's on a decline.

Anderson KOed Belfort unexpectedly but in no way, shape, or form does it mean for certain he could do it again. Same exact circumstance as Weidman/Anderson.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

07.13.2013 | 10:55 AM ET

Good logic. You don't disagree (in your rankings he is still above) but one who'd do it would need to ignore the facts from last 7 years because: 1- he's 38 and 2- in their Alice Wonderland he can't do it again. 

Thanks for reinstating my point. It DOES NOT MAKE ANY SENSE to rank him lower if you really been following history without a biased mind. If one wants to ignore common sense, they can rank him below or as well throw themselves from a cliff.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

07.13.2013 | 11:13 AM ET

No, it's an opinion not a fact. That's what you don't seem to understand. I have Anderson above Vitor because he beat him. That's how I usually do my rankings when there isn't anything else to consider but IN NO WAY do I think that it's automatic that Silva beats Belfort again. Been sayin' that since that freak kick happened. Awesome kick that doesn't mean a damn thing if/when they rematch and now the shoe's on the other foot because it happened to Anderson and none of you fanboys can accept it.

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

07.13.2013 | 11:14 AM ET

It's called having an open mind. You should try it sometime.

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,913  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

07.13.2013 | 11:30 AM ET

I keep my rankings as simple as possible.  I try not to factor in much subjectivity like "I think Vitor could beat Anderson in a rematch, therefore I'm going to rank Vitor over Anderson."

Anderson knocked out Vitor in the last 3 years.  Vitor hasn't beat anyone who beat Anderson to make some "'A' beat 'B', 'B' beat 'C', 'C beat 'A'" MMAmath.  Therefore Anderson is of course ranked higher. 
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.13.2013 | 7:18 PM ET

Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort is one of the fights I have watched the most. It is one of my favorite fights ever, I love that fight.

Anderson Silva dominated Vitor. Vitor was a deer in the headlights. Anderson ducked his punches, Anderson scrambled, Anderson did what Anderson does.

Oh and he front-kicked him in the face.

"الله أكبرl"

Fatality
Fatality
  • Predictions:  1,982  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  476
  • Post Score: 268

07.13.2013 | 7:48 PM ET

Silva did not dominate Belfort. I've watched that fight many times too. In fact, I had Belfort winning the round prior to the front kick because he landed more shots plus the takedown after dodging a head kick.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

07.14.2013 | 11:50 AM ET

@Fatality Well then my friend, you are just an idiot.

Vitor didn't land more shots, Vitor missed more shots, his "takedown" that you're giving him points for is total ******** because Anderson Silva was back up in LITERALLY two seconds; the takedown did nothing for Vitor. If anything, all that "takedown" did was piss Anderson off because that's when the domination begins. Vitor even swings a huge punch on Anderson while he's on the ground and Anderson dodges it...WHILE HIS BACK IS ON THE FLOOR. Giving Vitor points because he brought Anderson to the ground for a second, now I know exactly what type of person I'm dealing with.

Anderson was obviously in control of the octagon; he dictated where the fight happened and at what pace. Neither fighter did a thing because Belfort was focusing too much on getting caught and Anderson is never on the offense without being put on the defensive first.

And to give more points to Vitor for ducking under a head kick when Anderson went Neo on, wait let me count..6 of Vitor's punches and one blocked headkick must be a case of Belfort's cum being lodged directly under your eyelids. Funny that the 6 consecutive punches that Anderson dodged from Vitor was followed by a...wait for it...FRONTKICK TO THE ******* FACE.

Even if Vitor went Maynard/Edgar on Anderson's ass before Anderson won, he got F-R-O-N-T-K-I-C-K-E-D in the ******* face. A frontkick. To the face. Vitor is Anderson's ***** and I am not interested in a rematch.

I mean you might be but that's only because you're getting tired of the old Vitor fights that you're used to jacking off to but I'm not because Anderson Silva DOMINATED Vitor Belfort.

And he'd do it again.

* Edited at 07.14.2013, 11:50 AM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

07.14.2013 | 11:56 AM ET

^this.

p.s. I don't update my rankings frequently so any comments on them are pointless.

* Edited at 07.14.2013, 11:57 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Fatality
Fatality
  • Predictions:  1,982  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  476
  • Post Score: 268

07.14.2013 | 4:32 PM ET

Anik, you got to stop using ad hominem/name-calling everytime someone has a different opinion than you over some trivial **** on here. It’s getting pretty annoying. It’s as annoying as someone telling you to go back to elementary school. Get what I’m saying? “…must be a case of Belfort's cum being lodged directly under your eyelids.” *** lol? This is just reinforcing the stereotype. Also, Silva is one of my favorite fighters unlike Belfort.

I actually don’t disagree with some of your supporting arguments.

Belfort did miss more shots, but he still landed more shots. Slightly more though. Belfort doesn’t get full points for maintaining the ground position, but taking him down even for just a brief moment is more significant than usual for a fight that lacked fighting most of the time.

Octagon control wasn’t obvious to either side. The number of sequences where Silva was the aggressor and sequences where Belfort was the aggressor is close enough where octagon control is practically non-factor in judging.

The front kick is probably the most iconic KO in UFC history. No, it is. That actually makes me more motivated to see a rematch. That and Belfort tearing it up against quality opponents with the power of TRT. I think Belfort might be the best striker Silva has faced, just not in the same tier.

The root of this whole thing is based on our definitions of domination. A KO, even the most spectacular, after the fight being pretty close or a fight where nothing happened is not domination. Domination is consistently winning the fight by a large margin.

Whether you thought Silva or Belfort was winning, it was pretty close. Dominating striking is Silva vs. Griffin, Miocic vs. Nelson, Tatum vs. Simpson. Not Emelianenko vs. Arlovksi. Not Dos Santos vs. Velaquez. Not Weidman vs. Silva. Not this.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.14.2013 | 5:27 PM ET

My rankings arent update but Anderson is above Belfort for sure imo

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

07.15.2013 | 7:06 AM ET

My ranking is correct, if yours is different then it is wrong.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

07.15.2013 | 12:15 PM ET

@cal ... not bad

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

07.15.2013 | 6:29 PM ET

Costa's not getting enough love.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 4 days, 23 hours, and 21 minutes from now.
DontBeScaredHomie
DontBeScaredHomie
  • Predictions:  44,107  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 279

07.15.2013 | 6:38 PM ET

Belfort vs Okami is the fight that needs to happen for the #1 contender 

"Ohhhhhhhh ****! Look at that door, dude. See that door there? The one marked "Pirate"? You think a pirate lives in there?"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veteran Edson Barboza calls for BMF title fight vs. Max Holloway: 'I think I deserve that'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC matchmaker sends emphatic message to prospects hoping to get noticed and signed 
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC FPI 7 Highlights, Streaming Results | Rod vs. Fowler
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Robert Valentin | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Guillermo Torres | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Mairon Alves | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : Strickland Claims ‘Pea Brain’ Paulo Has ‘Yet To Sign Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury calls father John ‘a promoter’s dream’ after viral headbutt on Oleksandr Usyk team
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland says Paulo Costa yet to sign UFC 302 contract: 'You're being a weak f*cking man'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘No harm intended’: John Fury reacts to headbutt at press event
  • MMA Junkie : Rafael dos Anjos requests to be removed from UFC lightweight rankings, eyes welterweight return in July
  • MMAFighting.com : Till targets quick knockout of Chavez Jr., then plans ‘to bring influencer boxing to an end’
  • MMA Mania : Respect Me Like You Respect O’Malley
  • MMAFighting.com : Darren Till targets quick knockout of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., then plans ‘to bring influencer boxing to an end’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov announced for UFC Louisville main event
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs Murphy
  • UFC.com : Themba Gorimbo Is Focused On What He Can Control
  • MMA Junkie : Aspen Ladd: Nobody in UFC bantamweight division will beat Kayla Harrison