Topic: Top Lightweights - 155 lbs.

let's discuss our LW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,491  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

07.12.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

alright bill hopefully this should work for you ...

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Responses Page 14

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

01.27.2014 | 1:08 AM ET

I would love to see cerrone take on Khabib, but if he can't get that fight, Cerrone vs Barboza would be amazing!!
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

01.27.2014 | 3:04 AM ET

TJ Grant is still undefeated in the LW division, even though his KO win doesn't look as impressive now as it did back in May. It doesn't change the fact that he's close to title shot. Grant, Khabib, and Don Anjos are all on five fight UFC winning streak. 

Pending Fights:
  • - Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov
  • - Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler III
  • - Diego Sanchez vs. Myles Jury
  • - Michael Johnson vs. Melvin Guillard
  • - Jamie Varner vs. Abel Trujillo

Matchups to Make:
  • - TJ Grant vs. Gilbert Melendez
  • - Benson Henderson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • - Nate Diaz vs. Joe Lauzon
  • - Donald Cerrone vs. Edson Barboza
  • - Pat Healy vs. Gray Maynard
  • - Bobby Green vs. Jim Miller

* Edited at 01.27.2014, 3:10 AM ET *

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

01.27.2014 | 3:11 AM ET

Id just like TJ to face.Ben, Gil or Khabib next.for.a title shot.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

01.27.2014 | 8:27 AM ET

Nate Diaz: New Age Chael

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Nomad
Nomad

01.27.2014 | 3:28 PM ET

Nate is a little ******* insane but I think he's doing this for publicity rather than "just.keeping it real".

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Nomad
Nomad

01.27.2014 | 3:44 PM ET

Nate also got his.ass.whooped by.Ben.and Josh, bitter, bitter. Talk more ****.about.Pettis rather than actually fighting Khabib to earn your chance. Stockton raises *******, wannabe Mexican Diaz.brothers, WHAT!

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.27.2014 | 4:00 PM ET

Benson Henderson is better than Nate Diaz, but that doesn´t make Nate Diaz wrong about what he is saying here. The fight the other night was a disaster. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Nomad
Nomad

01.27.2014 | 4:16 PM ET

I enjoyed Thomson vs Benson,.much more than Ben vs Gil. 

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

01.27.2014 | 4:18 PM ET

Excuse me, i mispoke. What i meant was that the result of the fight, Henderson being the winner, was a disaster. Thomson did even better against him than Melendez did, and i don´t think Henderson won either fight. 

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.27.2014 | 7:15 PM ET

I couldn't help but notice that Dana White was present at the fight, but absent from the Post-Fight press conference.

If he has presided at the press conference, does anyone believe that White wouldn't have went on a rant and asked, "Did anyone think that Henderson won that fight?"

Maybe Lorenzo Fertitta took my advice and pulled White off press conference duties, for the good of the UFC.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

01.27.2014 | 8:59 PM ET

I´m actually pretty disappointed that he didn´t do that. The integrity of the sport is too important not to say something. 

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

01.27.2014 | 10:02 PM ET

element knows

i think benson won watched the fight 3 times now and think he lost the 1st and maybe last round.
but was a very close fight i did enjoy it but was alittle let down id say benson fights gilbert next ? or nurmagomedov ?
i would like to see how jose aldo does at light weight i think someday he might move up and then things will get interesting

"Element Knows"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.28.2014 | 9:59 AM ET

This fight is turning out to be a comic gold mine:

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.28.2014 | 10:02 AM ET

But Ben.  If they did that every time a bad judging decision happened, wouldn't that besmirch the credibility of the sport?  Wouldn't the sport's credibility take a hard hit?  And isn't that just as bad as having the integrity besmirched?

Caught in a Devil's Choice.  Integrity / credibility. 

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.28.2014 | 10:21 AM ET

Fight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sport. 

The bottom line is if a fight isn't finished ANY decision is an opinion and that's the way it should be because listening to FightMetric or any other stats is a RIDICULOUS way to "judge" a fight because there will ALWAYS be some bias or flaw in that system. Specifically, I believe Benson, or more likely John Crouch who I believe is a very underrated coach and game planner, has tailored his style to emphasize landing a higher # of strikes rather than effective strikes and obviously the judges seem to like that even if even the casual fan can tell the difference.

Bill, while a rant doesn't necessarily do any good, it doesn't necessarily do any bad either other than offend the oversensitive who don't want their opinion questioned. Having your opinion questioned is a good thing because it opens up discussion thus giving the opinion holder a chance to give his/her reasoning. This should be a good thing. Remember to argue about the argument, not just argue to be right. 

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

01.28.2014 | 11:19 AM ET

Since this is happening so much , then unfortunatley the sport is lacking credibility. ITs not a solution to pretend that´s not the case. This problem needs to be adressed, and that means sheding light on it. 

* Edited at 01.28.2014, 11:21 AM ET *

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

01.28.2014 | 11:26 AM ET

Eliminate rounds, fight until a finish occurs. This isn't boxing, it doesn't need to use their format of rounds/decisions. In the beginning it was important to do to give the sport some legitimacy in the eyes of criticism, now it's just becoming a detriment to the sport. When two guys fight for 25 minutes and it's razor close like that going to a decision seems ******* stupid.

Edit: I can almost guarantee that Thomson would have been happier if that fight would have continued and he'd have lost via a choke or something.

* Edited at 01.28.2014, 11:28 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 6 days, 3 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

01.28.2014 | 11:35 AM ET

breaks between rounds allow fighters to regroup and avoid fatigue, without round breaks fighters wouldn´t perform after the first 7 minutes or so,and once exhaustion begins it would be impossible to deal with. Think old timey UFC fights

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

01.28.2014 | 11:41 AM ET

Better come into the fight with some killer cardio then. I actually think that would eliminate a few things. First and foremost controversial decisions would be a thing of the past, but you'd also more than likely solve the problem of guys cutting extreme amounts of weight to fight in a weight class they honestly have no business in. In a format that didn't include rounds/breaks I don't think you'd see any Rumble Johnsons trying to cut to 170 when he walks around at 200+. It would definitely make for some sloppy ass fights, especially with larger weight classes, but at least there would be a clear cut winner at the end instead of two guys fighting for 25 minutes only to go to a split decision with judges who are probably flipping coins to determine round winners.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 6 days, 3 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.28.2014 | 11:41 AM ET

True Ben. They also need to have a digital scale with a feed to the overhead monitors/screens so the fighter's weight as they enter the cage is known. Perhaps this will lead to more discussion about the perils of extreme weight-cutting. 

CthulhuJones, you just became one of my favorite posters :)

* Edited at 01.28.2014, 11:44 AM ET *

Page 14

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 medical suspensions: Nine fighters headed to shelf after St. Louis return
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241: Make your predictions for Edson Barboza vs. Lerone Murphy
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Bader joins cast for Mark Kerr biopic starring Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Covington Calls For ‘Legacy’ Fight Against Oliveira
  • UFC.com : Lerone Murphy Primed To Test Himself
  • UFC.com : This Week On UFC FIGHT PASS | May 13, 2024 - May 19, 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Lerone Murphy: UFC Fight Night 241 headliner vs. Edson Barboza 'a fraud check' for me
  • UFC.com : How To Watch Road To UFC Season 3
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Says Alex Pereira Should Be In GOAT Conversation If He Wins Heavyweight Title
  • MMA Junkie : Joe Rogan says Mike Tyson in savage mode: 'If I was Jake Paul, I would be sh*tting my pants'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Paul Vs. Tyson Press Conference Video!
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Veteran Mansher Khera Moves To 8-0 In MMA Career At Fury FC 90
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour LIVE now
  • MMA Mania : ‘Sh*ttiest Fight Of The Night’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL announces dates, locations for 2024 playoff events
  • MMA Mania : Butt Head Head Butts Team Usyk, Draws Blood
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul press conference video
  • Middle Easy : Joaquin Buckley Admits He Called Out Conor McGregor To ‘Promote’ Himself, Names Gilbert Burns As ‘Realistic’ Opponent
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241: How to watch Edson Barboza vs. Lerone Murphy, start time, Las Vegas fight card, odds, more
  • MMAFighting.com : On To the Next One: Matches to make after UFC St. Louis