Topic: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks

St. Pierre vs. Hendricks

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,755  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17,644
  • Post Score: 60

06.19.2013 | 12:39 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for St. Pierre vs. Hendricks. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 9

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.08.2013 | 11:24 AM ET

GSP passed all his VADA tests. They randomly tested him 3 times from September through October. 

Hendricks opted out of the testing ... whatever that means.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

11.08.2013 | 11:32 AM ET

After I heard about how they do the testing, I'm less likely to blame a fighter for opting out. 

Apparently they can come in ANY time they want and ask you to give a urine sample. That includes early mornings, in the middle of a training session, or during a weight cut. So there are reasons for not taking part of VADA other than knowing you'll piss hot.

* Edited at 11.08.2013, 11:33 AM ET *

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.08.2013 | 11:35 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hendricks   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

but really how much effort is it to piss? I know that a pain in the ass but it really not that big of a deal. Also seems like shallow excuse when your the one that was implying the other fighter used performance enhancing drugs.

"here I come to save the day"

skelliher
skelliher

11.08.2013 | 11:47 AM ET

^^^Seconded.

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,156  |  71.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

11.08.2013 | 12:15 PM ET

I didn't follow this whole drug test back and forth but didn't Johny turn the test down because GSP was sponserd by VADA, got this drug tests for free and also because GSP's lawyer was asking Keith Kizer suspicious questions? Something like that...

Anyways passing this test or even taking it is a good start and signal from GSP, yet it means very little. Dedicated cheats are miles ahead of the system, I mean Lance Armstrong passed 600 drug tests in his career while beeing dirty as hell.

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

11.08.2013 | 12:16 PM ET

dielegende just hates GSP though...

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

dielegende23
dielegende23

11.08.2013 | 12:40 PM ET

LOL yeah I do that doesn't mean I'm not right though...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.08.2013 | 12:45 PM ET

If Hendricks wins he won't be knocking out only GSP but PPV sale rates for the UFC. 

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

11.08.2013 | 1:15 PM ET

Dielegende hates Canadians...

dielegende23
dielegende23

11.08.2013 | 1:41 PM ET

What are you talking aboooot??? It's just GSP, Bieber and you :P

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

11.08.2013 | 1:44 PM ET

Wow so anti-canadian dielegende...

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,789
  • Post Score: 273

11.08.2013 | 4:43 PM ET

Hendricks has got 3 kids to feed, he's gonna get that first round KO. I have enjoyed watching most GSP fights, but I want to see Hendricks get that KO and shake things up a bit.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

11.09.2013 | 10:38 AM ET

For Johny to land his big left, he needs to run up and close the distance.  He's very good at this.  But GSP has not only Firas Zahabi to assist him but he brought up Greg Jackson to help him game-plan.  He will be very on guard for the big left.

But one of the things that is needed to land the big left is to plant and set the punch.  And Johny will have to be constantly on guard for the take-down.  This is one of the things that GSP does that seldom gets discussed.  It is what made Condit so tentative in the first 2 rounds.  The opponent has to be on alert to defend the take-down.  

Johny is built much like Matt Serra.  Short, stubby arms.  He has to get in close to do damage.  I think the keys to victory for Johny would be to sharpen his wrestling, hone his submissions, and use his kicks.  His kicks will be important to keep GSP's left jab out of his face.

GSP's main standup tool is his hard left jab.  Hendricks will need to kick constantly to prevent GSP's jab from doing damage.  He doesn't want to repeat Koscheck's painful ordeal.

I think GSP will do about what he did with Diaz.  50% standing, and 50% on the ground.  Hendricks will need all his wrestling pedigree to keep things even on the ground.  And I just don't think he's as prepared to do that as everyone else thinks.

* Edited at 11.09.2013, 11:46 AM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

11.09.2013 | 10:58 AM ET

Bill that gets brought up in every single GSP thread and fight. It  "Seldom gets discussed", by seldom do you mean all the time in multi media's and through out this forum? You act like it some secret. Everyone on the planet that watches MMA knows that GSP striking is more effective because everyone is worried of the take down. Joe Rogan brings this up in every fight he in and some he not even in.

* Edited at 11.09.2013, 10:58 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.09.2013 | 11:45 AM ET

@Franklin  Alright.  I haven't read every post in this thread.  Was there anything in my post that was worth mentioning?  No?  Oh alright.  I'll shut up then.

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

11.09.2013 | 12:47 PM ET

Business as usual. GSP wins fairly easily. Hendricks barely beat Kos and Pierce. Some even had him losing. GSP dominatef Kos. Hendricks has a punchers chance and that's about it. I could even see GSP getting a finish late. Condit would have won the fight if it was a 5 rounder.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.09.2013 | 1:06 PM ET

After exchanging on their feet, at some point during the first round, the fight will go to the ground.  The unanswered question is how well Hendricks can compete with GSP on the mat.  

GSP is explosive and makes as few mistakes as anyone in the history of MMA.  But it is quite possible that Johny will be able to hold his own on the ground.  At this moment, not one of us knows what will happen on the ground.  Not even the combatants.  

Does Hendricks have a chance of out-wrestling GSP?  Certainly.  Will he?  Highly unlikely.  And that's the fun. All of us finding out at the same time.

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,174  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

11.09.2013 | 1:09 PM ET

Hendricks got lucky and easily could've lost to Pierce/Koscheck depending on judges...GSP will win how he wins, that's it honestly. I'd like to be behind Jonny...but not gonna happen. 

GSP is one of the smartest and most strategic fighters, you think he's gonna just leave his chin out for an overhand left he knows is coming? 

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

skelliher
skelliher

11.09.2013 | 2:17 PM ET

@Swick: While I agree that those decisions easily could've gone against Hendricks, I think he's improved quickly since then. 

He's a dangerous outing for GSP, but I think Georges is just better almost everywhere.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

11.09.2013 | 3:42 PM ET

Many things could combine to give Johny the win.  He could fight over his head.  He could arrive inspired and give the fight of his life.  His wrestling could turn out to be better than GSP's.  

GSP could be tired or over-trained.  He might slip or make a mistake.  Bad reffing and bad judging could play a factor.  Hendricks could get a punch in and throw Pierre off his stride.

This is MMA.  Upsets happen in sports all the time.  If it could happen to Pierre once, it could happen again.  If Dos Santos could beat Velasquez the first time, upsets are always a possibility.  That's why I'm so excited.  I don't automatically write Hendricks off.

But having said that, I believe that the 34% who are picking Hendricks to win are doing so more from WANTING GSP to lose than really believing he will.

* Edited at 11.09.2013, 3:43 PM ET *

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Tyson Fury Claims Decision Loss Was Bias Because Oleksandr Usyk’s ‘Country’s At War’
  • MMAFighting.com : Piera Rodriguez blasts ‘coward’ Ariane Carnelossi after UFC Vegas 92 headbutt disqualification loss
  • MMA Junkie : Lerone Murphy says UFC Fight Night 241 win was perfect next step, hopes to still make UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vows he would’ve chased Oleksandr Usyk knockout if he knew he was down
  • MMA Junkie : Piera Rodriguez says Ariane Carnelossi lied after headbutts at UFC Fight Night 241: 'You call yourself brave?'
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Program total passes $26 million
  • MMA Mania : UFC 303 Loses Rountree
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Losers From UFC Vegas 92
  • MMA Mania : ‘Everyone In The Corner Believed We Were Up’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Miss My Father’
  • Jits Magazine : Gabi Garcia MMA Comeback Cancelled Due To Floods In Brazil
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Watch Tyson Fury Become A Pinball
  • Bad Left Hook : UPSETS! Berinchyk beats Navarrete by split decision, Norman stops Santillan
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 92 post-fight show: Reaction to Lerone Murphy’s dominant win over Edson Barboza
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Results & Scorecards | Season 3: Episodes 3 & 4
  • Bad Left Hook : Navarrete vs Berinchyk: Live updates and results
  • Bad Left Hook : Navarrete vs Berinchyk: Live updates and results NOW!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMAFighting.com : Khalil Rountree Jr. out of Jamahal Hill fight at UFC 303 due to doping violation