Tapology Forums

Thoughts on GSP...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

05.01.2011 | 1:17 AM ET

You just beat a opponent who was on a 15 fight win streak....at the BIGGEST UFC event of all time..... in front of your HOME crowd of 55,000 screaming fans!

Then you're asked if you want to fight the(arguably) GREATEST p4p fighter in MMA history in the ABSOLUTE BIGGEST fight in MMA history and your answer is.............I don't know?!.... Maybe we'll sit down and talk about it?!

Really?

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Responses

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

05.01.2011 | 1:22 AM ET

GSP should just stay at WW. Plenty of up and comers. He is not a natural MW, he would have to put on a lot of muscle.

Yea he beat Shields, but it was the worst performance of his career. I was very disappointed with that fight.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.01.2011 | 1:22 AM ET

My thought? "zzzzzzzzzzz"

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

05.01.2011 | 1:28 AM ET

not a great night for gsp across the board. the looping right hand punches he was throwing all night were strange.  those weren't the nice straight right hands he used to put fitch on his rear end, or even from the koscheck fight. it reminded me of chuck liddell in some of his later fights when he was feeling the pressure to deliver knockouts and was throwing huge haymakers on every shot.

i read that back and i guess it sounds pretty critical. don't get me wrong, he's still as great as ever -- just wasn't an "on" night for him.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

geezhound
geezhound

05.01.2011 | 1:29 AM ET

How many more of these 5 round jabfests with no attempt to finish can they really try to sell?

Who is at 170 that he could possibly be looking forward to fighting next?

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.01.2011 | 1:29 AM ET

I was disappointed in GSP's performance. That said, I still want to see GSP/Anderson, and I still think GSP would win.

Also, yeah, GSP/Shields wasn't the most exciting fight. In fact, it was probably the least exciting fight of the night.

However, this was one of the best UFC cards of all time. Right before GSP/Shields was Aldo/Hominick, the last two rounds of which I scored 10-8 to different fighters, showing how back-and-forth the end of that fight was. GSP/Shields appears particularly boring due to how great the rest of the card was. Had this fight been placed on a different UFC card of more standard quality, there would be much fewer complaints about how boring it was.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.01.2011 | 1:30 AM ET

Jeremy is correct.

Bad night for the champ. 

"We Are All One"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.01.2011 | 1:31 AM ET

Jeremy I agree. I thought the looping right hand was the wrong approach for the KO. I was looking for the left head kick and he finally threw it and connected in the third or fourth round. Straight line punches, ala Fitch, Alves, and Koscheck, would have worked much better against Shields.

Obviously Shields is great, but this was the worst performance of GSP's career other than the first BJ Penn fight IMO. At least worst winning performance, but still a clear victory IMO and I think the Fight Metric will show that.

Hopefully this (losing rounds for the first time in almost four years) will prompt GSP to undergo a second evolution to Super Saiyan Level 2.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

05.01.2011 | 1:33 AM ET

Yes, bad performance. But looking back he did just beat a former MW champ and top 10 P4P guy. If your able to do that when your "off" that's pretty impressive.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

OlexeiTolchev
OlexeiTolchev
  • Predictions:  6,293  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  51
  • Post Score: 318

05.01.2011 | 1:34 AM ET

Shields has atrocious standup but was still hanging in there. I thought GSP won 4 maybe 5 rounds but it shouldn't have been that close. I also gotta wonder what Jake's gameplan was, he deserves equal the blame for such a lackluster fight. There was no urgency in his performance, he seemed content going to a decision. Exactly the sort of fight I expected, thankfully the rest of the card (from prelims to Aldo/Hominick) was great.

"Winter is Coming."

MegaDave
MegaDave
  • Predictions:  8,095  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,656
  • Post Score: 191

05.01.2011 | 1:35 AM ET

Even if GSP did have a lousy performance, I still think that he can give a lot of problems to MW fighters, and in doing so, it would make GSP fights more interesting and it would make the WW division more interesting

"I'm sorry that the brilliance of my words goes over your heads. I'm not going to stop being an eagle just because I am surrounded by turkeys-CS"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.01.2011 | 1:42 AM ET

I still have GSP as a favorite to every MW in the UFC. The only surely debatable one to me is Anderson Silva. It wasn't a great performance, but Shields is a huge WW and hadn't lost for six years. The guys is legit.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

05.01.2011 | 1:45 AM ET

If you have a scratched eye and can't see anything, it's probably pretty hellish to try and fight on.  I'm sure that was part of the problem. 

As for the overhand right, it was an interestingly effective way to get around Shields' defenses. But he kept going back to it again and again... it must have been the strategy.

Yet it gets to the point where it seems GSP and his team are so insistent upon sticking to a rigid gameplan, and so afraid of losing, that they don't take any risks at all. Well, it's going to backfire because fans aren't going to want to pay for his fights.

I feel badly criticizing, but this was a real letdown.

"I live, I die, I live again."

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

05.01.2011 | 1:48 AM ET

No doubt GSP is one of the PFP best, most likely #1 or #2.  Is he the most exciting fighter, no way.  The best of the best are not willing throw caution to the wind and open themselves up to the finish, which is why they are at the top of the game.  They don't leave themselves open.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

Gregory
Gregory

05.01.2011 | 1:57 AM ET

@gloom there's varying degrees though.  Did GSP really need to be THAT afraid of landing some takedowns, working in Shields' guard, and landing ground and pound?

With his strength and grappling ability it's doubtful he would have been in any trouble of being submitted. But instead he ended up getting his eye and nose busted open on the feet being cautious.

geezhound
geezhound

05.01.2011 | 2:01 AM ET

I'm in total agreement that he's probably the 2nd best fighter in the world, but my problem with him is that he has a chance to prove it to himself and the world and he really doesn't care.
I just can't imagine having the opportunity to be the best in the world and leave no doubt, yet I choose to fight lesser competition in a division that I've completely cleaned out.
WW doesn't even have a clear-cut contender that he hasn't already destroyed, so who is he waiting for?

Gregory
Gregory

05.01.2011 | 2:05 AM ET

@geezhound it's a risky career decision.  It's very possible he goes to 185, gets KTFO'd by Anderson Silva, loses his aura of invincibility, fights another tough middleweight and loses again, and next thing you know his reputation has been permanently damaged.

For a guy who is raking in millions in pay per view percentages and endorsements, it's a tricky decision.  Money is a big motivation.

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.01.2011 | 2:05 AM ET

Shield's striking is atrocious. GSP had nothing to be afraid of, Shields throws arm punches, has poor, unexplosive takedowns, and couldn't even get GSP to the ground when he had a perfect hold of a single leg. GSP should have pushed the pace more, and to me, the fact that he could barely hurt Shields on the feet is pretty unimpressive.

Shields is a solid wrestler/grappler, but honestly, his striking is as bad as it gets in the UFC.

I'm getting bitter, I'm going to go to bed before I piss off all the GSP fans too much. 

"We Are All One"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

05.01.2011 | 2:12 AM ET

GSP had a bad night, he looked bad and it was not anything shields did. I almost think GSP psyched himself out a bit because I think he would of done a lot better from top position against shields. I guess he couldn't see out of 1 eye from the 2nd round on and still managed to win with just one eye. Jake was able to break GSP undefeated round streak. GSP did bad tonight Shields still couldn't do anything with it. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

geezhound
geezhound

05.01.2011 | 2:18 AM ET

@Gregory, we're on the same sheet of music there, but his aura of invincibility is showing more and more cracks every time he avoids a question about fighting Silva.
Plus his performance isn't impressing anyone lately. He was getting booed in Canada for Christ's sake! I never thought I'd see that and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets booed on his way into to the cage next time.

The card was great, but it's anticipation of the main event that put asses is seats and sells the PPVs, but GSP just sold us all a lemon......again.

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

05.01.2011 | 2:21 AM ET

Everyone has a bad night at some point in their life.  GSP had his tonight, and lucky for him it was against a quality opponent.  Shields' stand up is pretty embarrassing, and St. Pierre certainly would've demolished him in any other form, but tonight just wasn't a great performance for him.  I'm not sure what Shields felt he had to lose by going for a take down, because the result was all but a guarantee if he didn't.  However, I guess it's easy to say that from my comfortable couch, without one of the greatest fighters in the world throwing punches and kicks at me. 

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Canelo vs Munguia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: CEAST AND DESIST!
  • MMA Junkie : Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol postponed due to injury
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Welcomes Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Accepts Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville, Ky.
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Video! Oliveira Cradles Teammate During Terrifying Weight Cut
  • UFC.com : Drakkar Klose Is Tuning Out The Noise
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighters talk favorite Jose Aldo memories ahead of UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Beterbiev vs Bivol postponed due to injury, rest of card goes on
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Paul Craig: Caio Borralho in Rio not favorable, but 'we have built our career in the UFC over upsets'
  • UFC.com : The Most Dangerous Vinc Pichel
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Promises To ‘Knock McGregor Out Bad’
  • MMA Junkie : Charles Oliveira willing to be backup for Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler – under one condition
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Preview: 26 Random Tidbits, Facts And Storylines