UFC 6: Clash of the Titans
- Friday 07.14.1995 at 11:00 PM ET
- U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View
- Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Ownership: Semaphore Entertainment Group (SEG)
- Venue: Casper Events Center
- Location: Casper, Wyoming, United States
- Enclosure: Octagon
- TV Announcers: Bruce Beck, Jim Brown
- Ring Announcer: Michael Buffer
- Post-Fight Interviews: Jeff Blatnick
- Attendance: 2,700
- PPV Buys / Buyrate: 240,000 | TV Ratings:
- Number of MMA Bouts: 10
- Event Pages: Sherdog | Wikipedia
- UFC: Facebook | Twitter | Wikipedia | Official Site | YouTube | Instagram
Shamrock vs. Severn I (9), Taktarov vs. Macias (8), Abbott vs. Varelans (7), Taktarov vs. Abbott (6), Taktarov vs. Beneteau (6), Smith vs. Moncayo (5), Varelans vs. Worsham (4), Abbott vs. Matua (3), Macias vs. Gipson (2), Sutton vs. McGlaughlin (1)
UFC 6 Wiki Update Wiki
Russian fighter Oleg Taktarov may have come out on top in the UFC 6 tournament, but it was Ken Shamrock who emerged as the UFC’s new biggest superstar when he defeated Dan Severn for the first-ever UFC Superfight Championship in this classic from July of 1995. Heading into the fight, Shamrock and Severn were two of the most aggressive and powerful fighters in the world, having built solid reputations with their performances inside the Octagon.
The Superfight Championship, which was first introduced at UFC 5 in a bout between Shamrock and Royce Gracie, was created in order to crown an undisputed UFC champion that tournament winners, such as Taktarov, could face in subsequent events. UFC 6 marked the first event in which referees—in this case, “Big” John McCarthy—were granted the power to stand fighters up if no progress was being made on the ground.
This was also the first appearance of Tank Abbott. He made an impression right away with his quick destruction of Matua in his first fight. He also used the fish hooking technique in this event so a rule was made afterwards so that it would no longer be allowed. Tank blasted through his first two opponents and lost to Taktarov in the finals. Tank attributed this to the thin air in Casper, Wyoming.