Tapology Forums

I'm playing matchmaker, what are your thoughts?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

02.27.2011 | 8:42 AM ET

Sometimes I like to play like I'm Joe Silva and I try matchmaking that makes sense. I won't bore you with the undercard fights I think will happened, but here's some fights that could coming up main card.

1. Josh Koscheck vs Carlos Condit
There's a knee and an orbital injury to work around, but both are expected to back in action in mid 2011.

2. Jake Ellenberger vs Mike Pierce
This would mean Pierce would have to wait until at least September when Ellenberger's hands are healed up, but I like this match up alot.

3. Melvin Guillard vs Dennis Siver II
These guys bang. Guillard just upset Dunham (though I never saw Guillard as the underdog, it seems like everyone else did) and Siver just upset G-Sot. Could be a future contender's rematch.

4. Sean Sherk vs Mac Danzig
Sherk is planning on returning this summer and Dazig is coming off a fight without injury. They're both guys I'm always about to give up on, and then they do something to redeam their status.

5. Yushin Okami vs Michael Bisping
Some people are saying Bisping-Sonnen, and Sonnen-Wanderlei Silva, but Sonnen's in some serious legal trouble and the UFC won't let him fight until it's resolved. Okami should get a title shot, but they're saying he'll have to wait until they put together the Anderson Silva-GSP superfight. So this one makes a lot of sense.

6. Vitor Belfort vs Alan Belcher
Belcher is on the verge of becoming a superstar. All he needs is a big win and why not put him against someone who'll bang with him.

7. Rashad Evans vs Forrest Griffin II
Might not happen depending on the Rua-Jones fight. But the first time around, Griffin took the first two rounds only to get pummeled in the third. They're both former chapions. I'd like to see it again.

8. Ryan Bader vs Thiago Silva
Silva's drug test is still in limbo, and if he passes, he'll be ready to fight in the late Spring or early summer. Just like Bader.

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.27.2011 | 9:38 AM ET

Good stuff.

Koscheck vs Condit I would love to see, but I doubt the UFC makes this fight. I think they're trying to build Condit into a title contender, and both Koscheck and Fitch can spoil anyone's rise to the top.

Ellenberger vs Pierce is cool. Sherk vs Danzig doesn't really excite me but is fine.  Bader vs Thiago Silva I think is a great matchup.

Belfort vs Belcher would be sweet. Maybe they go back and to Belfort vs Okami like originally planned though.

Didn't see the first Guillard vs Siver fight, or at least I don't remember it. But if Guillard won in 30 seconds, not sure they would want to schedule a rematch.

"I live, I die, I live again."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.27.2011 | 12:24 PM ET

id rather see bisping fight maia. id also have sherk against jim miller to soldify millers contender status.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

runrunshaw
runrunshaw
  • Predictions:  4,807  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  186
  • Post Score: 138

02.27.2011 | 12:39 PM ET

1-5  sounds good to me. 6,7 and 8 i would change up a little.

Vitor vs. Wandy 2 seems to be in the works and would be epic. Belcher vs. Stann would be nice to see.

205 is loaded IMO. a lot of good match up could be made.

Rashard vs. Davies (if Phil beats lil Nog)

Griffin vs. Thiago Silva would have fireworks!!!! that has fight of the year written all over it.

Bader vs.Bonnar would be a great fight.

"R18"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.01.2011 | 5:20 AM ET

Franklin vs Tito

"here I come to save the day"

ourick76
ourick76
  • Predictions:  7,247  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  427
  • Post Score: 135

03.01.2011 | 5:38 AM ET

FIGHTS

Rousimar Palhares vs Chael Sonnen

Jim Miller vs  Anthony Pettis

Junior Dos Santos vs Cain Valesquez

Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle

John Fitch vs. Anthony Johnson

"I came here to do two things: drink some beer...and kick some ass...and I'm about out of beer!"

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.01.2011 | 5:39 AM ET

I really wanted to see thiago siva vs rampage so i'd do that when silva gets back, I'd also like to see eddie alverez join the stacked ufc lw division and take on Petits or Siver

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

03.01.2011 | 5:44 AM ET

Why should fitch fight Anthony Jonson? That be a step back for a fitch.

"here I come to save the day"

ourick76
ourick76
  • Predictions:  7,247  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  427
  • Post Score: 135

03.01.2011 | 5:50 AM ET

Eddie Alverez vs. Frankie Edgar would be crazy.  Eddie is big time.

"I came here to do two things: drink some beer...and kick some ass...and I'm about out of beer!"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

03.01.2011 | 8:59 AM ET

What I would do is-

Dennis siver Vs. Evan Dunham or Sherk would be a step up.

Belfort Vs. Griffin would be a good fight or maybe Thiago Silva Vs.Griffin.

Danzig Vs. Pierce

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

03.01.2011 | 10:18 AM ET

great post.  i love 1, 3, 6 and 8. sean sherk i think would maul mac danzig, and i don't think rashad will accept a fight against forrest (or much of anyone these days) - but i'd pay to see both.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

03.01.2011 | 11:11 AM ET

I like.. 1, 2, 6, 7, and 8.

Seeing to how Melvin just blew Duhnam out of the water he deserves someone much more talented then Siver.

And I will get flamed for this.. Sherk beat Duhnam as well. Give him a guy who is actually is in contention to getting a shot.

As much as I want to see Bisbing get killed by Okami, he has not beaten a top ten opponent in his entire career. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

03.01.2011 | 1:08 PM ET

1-5 would be too legit!!!!!

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.01.2011 | 2:46 PM ET

1. Josh Koscheck vs Carlos Condit
This fight I like though it's stylistically bad for Condit. Condit needs one last big win to get to a title shot and Kos would be a perfect opponent for that. If Carlos can't deal with Kos'es wrestling there is no point for him to face GSP. Even though GSP and Condit are both Jackson, Condit has no problem fighting him. 

2. Jake Ellenberger vs Mike Pierce
This fight is a perfect match up for where they are right now. They are two very evenly matched fighters and should be a competitive bout. 

3. Melvin Guillard vs Dennis Siver II
Not big on this match up. I think it's time for Melvin to move to bigger better matches and do something that will get him a title shot. Siver won't do that for him. Siver still has work to do before he gets into contention. 

4. Sean Sherk vs Mac Danzig
Danzig isn't at Sherk's level right now in terms of rankings. Sherk is a former world champion and a gateway to a title shot for whoever beats him. Danzig isn't close to a title shot now. Guillard would be a better opponent for Sherk or numerous other contenders. 

5. Yushin Okami vs Michael Bisping
If they don't want to give Okami his title shot this is a good fight for the UFC to set up. If Okami wins he gets a bump for beating Bisping going into an eventual title shot. If Okami loses it puts Bisping into a title fight which is marketable. 

6. Vitor Belfort vs Alan Belcher
Not a bad fight for either fighter. I would think Belcher might want a less dangerous striker after coming off such a long layoff though. 

7. Rashad Evans vs Forrest Griffin II
Evans need to fight regardless I just don't know if Griffin is the right opponent. I think there might be a fresher match up for him somewhere. 

8. Ryan Bader vs Thiago Silva
Don't know what to with Thiago until his test comes back. Bader could come back sooner he got beat up a bit but I don't think he's injured. Bader is still a top 10 fighter so there are tons of options for him. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

03.01.2011 | 5:14 PM ET

@bigj, Sherk would destroy Danzig. you make a good point about Condit facing a wrestler before getting a title shot.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

03.01.2011 | 11:51 PM ET

I would love to see Sherk Vs Danzig for the sole reason of seeing sherk kick the living **** out of Danzig for as long as he can stay conscious.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

seanbio
seanbio
  • Predictions:  260  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  169
  • Post Score: 37

03.02.2011 | 1:46 AM ET

Jon Jones vs. Phil Davis
Vitor Belfort vs. Maiquel Falcao
Jake Ellenberger vs. Rick Story
Charles Oliveira vs. George Sotiropoulos
Travis Browne vs. Pat Barry

"Joe Silva could call Dan Miller at 3 in morning to tell him he's fighting Godzilla in an hour and he would take that fight."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘I’ll Be Fighting For The Title Next Year’
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Credits Colby Covington For Ian Garry Troll Job: ‘Some Of His Finest Work’
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler UFC 303 poster features yellow yelling faces
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Derrick Lewis deliver another knockout at UFC St. Louis?
  • MMA Junkie : Robelis Despaigne sees himself fighting for UFC heavyweight title in 2025
  • MMA Mania : ‘You’re Not A Real Man!’ Sterling And O’Malley Reignite Rivalry
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 poster released showing return of Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan’s Coach Doesn’t Believe #1 Contender Is Ready To Dethrone Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean O’Malley’s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC