Tapology Forums

Sudden Death

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.26.2011 | 9:29 PM ET

What are your thoughts on having a Sudden Death Round to Help prevent Draws? This would be were the refs call a draw and then declare Sudden Death meaning there would be one more Five minute round and that would determine the fight.

Responses Page 2

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.28.2011 | 10:41 PM ET

@ mike im pretty sure he means by round.
I wish they used 10-10, 10-8, and even 10-7 rounds more often.  Ive noticed more evenly scored 10-10 rounds on the sherdog pbps so maybe its going to be an upcoming trend.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

03.01.2011 | 6:35 AM ET

Draws suck when they happen, but I don't feel they happen often enough that something must be done...I think horrible decisions happen more often...its like changing the NFL playoff system because one time in history a team with a less then .500 record won a division and got a home playoff game...its not needed yet....And I score more fights as draws then actually the judges have that I've seen

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

03.01.2011 | 7:34 AM ET

whether you term it a "half point" system using 8.5, 9.5 and the like, or a full point system making more frequent use of 10-8 and 10-7 rounds, they will both increase the frequency of draws dramatically.

the reason we saw a draw in the main event this past weekend was that the majority of judges saw the last round as a 10-8 (which i disagreed with, but that's another story).  more 10-8s just means more draws.

i guess that takes us back to the original suggestion of having a sudden death round, or else some other type of scoring system - maybe every fight is 5 rounds, or maybe the fight is judged as a whole like in pride days. but increasing the draw frequency won't help.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.01.2011 | 9:03 AM ET

In my opinion and I believe dana white has said this before the Refs inside managing the fight and the refs outside scoring it. They all need to be trained. But thats when the states step in and intervene it doesnt help the sport.

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

03.01.2011 | 4:39 PM ET

you could go either way on this. you'd have to always train for a 4x5 min rounds and that would be taxing

they should just get the judging fixed

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

03.02.2011 | 8:41 PM ET

I think that Caymanfighter suggested a great suggestion in that they should score it more on just giving the round to the winner of that round. No point just a clear winner for each round. Like he said that way Frankie would have won his fight for sure. Now for fight's like Fitch's in which it depends on how you saw the winner of the second round was. I mean i saw Fitch winning the second round and it depends on how they saw it. But it would cut away alot of draws because there are 3 judges. So even if the judges didn't see eye to eye on who won the round it would always be a two to one situation.

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : White: New UFC Deal Struck Because Saudi Arabia ‘Wanted Power Slap’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Bullet’ Wants ‘Demolidor’ In Saudi Arabia
  • MMA Junkie : 'Thank you for making my life easy': MMA community celebrates Mother's Day on social media
  • MMAFighting.com : Ciryl Gane to carry Olympic torch ahead of 2024 Olympic Games in Paris
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC St. Louis
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC on ESPN 56: Derrick Lewis magic returns and Dana White criticism of main card winner
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara bloodies opponent in first-round TKO win
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley shifts to Gilbert Burns after unrealistic Conor McGregor callout: 'I'm definitely not going to get that'
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE, On One Condition...
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE (On One Condition)
  • MMAFighting.com : Deontay Wilder concerned for Mike Tyson in Jake Paul fight: ‘God forbid he gets hurt’
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Derrick Lewis after UFC on ESPN 56 knockout win?
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor closes door on wrestling, potential MMA career after becoming Oklahoma State coach
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski added to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card at UFC 303
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ‘Dibble Dabble’ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Bryce Mitchell down with Sean Woodson's UFC St. Louis callout: 'I need some money'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Rebecki reveals gruesome aftermath of stoppage loss to Diego Ferreira in new hospital photo
  • MMA Mania : ‘We Gotta Get Out Of The Apex’
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC plans to hit road more in 2024: 'We've got to get out of the Apex'