Tapology Forums

Bellator promotion, and where it fits in the MMA landscape

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.24.2011 | 9:55 AM ET

Bellator has made major moves last year and this year, bolstering their talent pool and building up their current champions. With the tourney format and champions fighting in non title fights and only defending once a year (?), can bellator break into the mainstream (are they mainstream already?). How long can they continue with their current format and does it bode well to build up their up and coming fighters this way? Are their champions credible (besides alverez) and how would their other champs fair with other top talent outside the organiztion (funky askren, lombard, konrad).

I really like the promotion but sometimes it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth with the format. I did like how they handled using Huerta when he lost though.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.24.2011 | 10:07 AM ET

I like Bellator.

I think the tournament format is a great way to keep interest from week to week and take relatively unknown fighters and turn them into stars.

Bellator's big problems appear to be on the business & financial side of things. I don't know the numbers, but clearly they are not making money and can only go on this way for so long.

Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer (subscription newsletter... it's very good) has been vocal in saying that the MTV2 deal is going to possibly ruin them.  Reason being that hardcore fans like us will find MTV2 and watch the fights, but that otherwise they aren't going to get a lot of new viewers on this station.

I'm hoping that Bellator figures it out and is successful.

"I live, I die, I live again."

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.24.2011 | 10:43 AM ET

Maybe if the can get a timeslot right after Jersey Shore they'll get some new fans!!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.24.2011 | 11:09 AM ET

its cool they got a thing going with mtv2 after march 5th we will know how well the org will do

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.24.2011 | 11:13 AM ET

yea definitely their airplay over the last 2 years has been aweful, the mtv2 deal will do wonders for the org and their fighter's exposure. I think it was the best move they could of made, anytime you can promote on a major television station, your going to get new viewers, especially now that they have flexible programming time slots. Time will tell...

"fresh outta Oakland..."

GutturalReef
GutturalReef
  • Predictions:  386  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 39

02.24.2011 | 4:13 PM ET

The tournament format is what people wanna see. I mean, a huge draw for Pride was their tournaments, and now, why is Strikeforce blowing up? Their heavyweight GP....

"If people ain't hatin', you doin' somethin' wrong...."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

02.24.2011 | 4:50 PM ET

I really hope Bellator breaks more into the mainstream. Unfortunatly I havent had t.v. for about two years so I've only got to see a Bellator card twice. Both times I was suprised by the level of MMA and production that I saw and I really like the idea of the tournament forum, even though I have yet to see one completely play out.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • In between bouts, waiting for next fight to begin.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • UFC Fight Night features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Enterprise Center in St. Louis, Missouri