Tapology Forums

Why I think some of the point allocations should change

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

03.24.2012 | 11:02 AM ET

Everyone knows I love this site and this is certainly not a complaint or demand just my opinion on something that bugs me a little bit. With the insane amount of fights being added I feel the points allocated to the forum side of things is drastically low. I understand the predictions is a big part of the site but it should be equal to the forums, not a bajillion times more important. For instance, literally every single person in the MVP league will be at least a 5th degree black belt when the year is over, now that's fine and all but as so many people make all the picks it jumbles everyone up around the same belt level with it being impossible to really ever separate from other members. Wishishere is an example, we are both 2nd degree black belts while he hardly ever participates and rankings and the forum, while I'm on here every day, but as far as the big picture goes, when you only get 3 points per post and 1/5th of a point for every thumb, that is minuscule compared to 50 or 100 points for EVERY pick, don't get me wrong I think wish is a great member but with the amount of time I contribute in the forums in my opinion that should be rewarded much stronger and due to our extreme difference in forum time I believe I should be at least a couple belt levels ahead of him.

Wolf is another great example, this man has done nothing but try to score points since he got here. I mean the guy has over 12,000 posts and contributes in the forums to great degree. Yet he is barely ahead of someone like ACFMMA who barely ever posts and really isn't a true member of our community, maybe I'm off base or thinking too much into it but with more and more starting to pick every event I just dont want to see when the year is over like 300 6th degree black belts when half of them post in the forums every day and others not at all. 

My suggestion to this would be to award more points for forum posts and thumbs first of all, making that retroactive even if possible. Go back to 25 and 50 points for updating rankings. If a member is taking the time to update his 39 rankings every week, that should be worth more than 2% towards my next belt. I have other suggestions but we'll see how this post is reacted to first.

Responses Page 2

Sonnen for Prez
Sonnen for Prez
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: -347

03.24.2012 | 12:38 PM ET

yeah my post score is like my hero polarized, but to out people in ur post because you don't think they deserve to be a black belt,.....lame. 

"Silva Sucks"

Sonnen for Prez
Sonnen for Prez
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: -347

03.24.2012 | 12:38 PM ET

Also if my post score is record can I get an award please.

"Silva Sucks"

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,989  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

03.24.2012 | 12:55 PM ET

I think the point system on forum post or thumbs up is OK, but I also think with more and more events being added the points for winning fights is maybe a bit to high. Another point I could think of worth chnaging is the the 50 point system when you just miss the round or get the round correct but picked sub instead of a KO.

Greg you said black or brown belts should take longer to achieve, why not kill to birds with one stone and change  just the point system for points achieved with fights. It's maybe unfair for people who just get started but still better imo then having 1000 black belt at the end of the year. I think it would take some impact out of the whole system you created when there are that many BB's. At some point it seems inevitable but maybe not that early.

I'm a big fan of this site and this should be viewed as constructive criticism not as a complaint...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

03.24.2012 | 1:27 PM ET

@dielegende good post but you still get the wrath of the thumbs :)    if we adjust the picking points, it will be done in concert with giving out points for getting the method or round but not a perfect.  semi-perfect or whatever you want to call it.  however, this is a complex bit of programming and we're working on a couple other things at the moment. 

"I live, I die, I live again."

FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  55,838  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,436
  • Post Score: 204

03.24.2012 | 1:40 PM ET

Crazy that wolfman has gotten around 40,000 points just off posts.
xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx
  • Predictions:  6,258  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 169

03.24.2012 | 2:28 PM ET

@messiah yeah i found out about this site because everyone was talking about it on sherdog.. never looked back after that.

"2012 GIF AV Grand Prix "FAH Q" Award winner!"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Diogo Reis Reveals Striking Training And Hints At MMA Debut
  • Bad Left Hook : P4P Top 10: Haney tumbles out, top stars take spotlight in May
  • Jits Magazine : WWE Superstar MVP Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘People die, this isn’t a joking matter’: Devin Haney on Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: People Die In This Sport
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Mania : Cursed? Not Even Poatan Could Save UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle