Tapology Forums

The Ultimate Fighter: The Comeback 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

02.22.2011 | 5:41 PM ET

Truth be told, the original comeback was done because the popularity of the sport had risen at a tremendous rate and many former UFC fighters who were cut (for various reasons) were afforded an opportunity to return to the UFC in a "second chance" setting. The drawback was that the winner of the show was given a title shot. The UFC knew they wouldn't win, yet still the Welterweight title changed hands in (my personal opinion) the biggest upset in the sport's history. I think there should be a follow up to "the Comeback" but without a title shot reward. Just get some guys who are entertaining, and maybe had a raw deal their first time round in the UFC and get them on a show. So here's my choices for that show...

MW

Matt Horwich

Denis Kang

David Loiseau

Kalib Starnes (Yeah he’s going to be the punk everyone hates on the show)

Jay Silva

David Heath

Bobby South worth (He’s still kicking around)

Ryan Jimmo (Technically never fought in the UFC, but remember, he lost to Antwain Britt in the fight to get into the TUF house on season 9)

WW

John Alessio

Ben Saunders (His firing was premature)

Josh Neer

Ryo Chonan

Brad Blackburn

Nick Thompson

Efrain Escudero (I know he left, but he can come back)

Karo Parysian (He’s just a firy tempormental guy who needs some humility if he ever wants to get back into proper fighting)

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.22.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

Yep lot of names on there that could easily string together some wins and earn a spot in the UFC.  As for inviting Starnes, uhh... I guess everyone deserves a second chance...

"I live, I die, I live again."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

02.22.2011 | 5:47 PM ET

an Awsome Idea, alot of great fighter i felt the UFC let go, or let get away prematurely. The first one was full of awsome storylines for MMA, Serra's rematch against Carter, Serra's marjor upset against GSP...ok great Serra story lines. Any way it probably lacked the overall drama that the Lebins and Brownies ofered, but I don't really remeber come back  anymore to be honest.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.22.2011 | 5:53 PM ET

I don't really see anything all that interesting about a season of TUF where former UFC fighters fight to win a UFC contract.  The title shot idea was brilliant and I agree that it ended with the biggest upset in the history of MMA.  If it worked that well the first time around I wouldn't mind seeing them do it again.  It's basically a tournament where the winner gets a title shot, but with a bit of drama.  Former UFC fighters are always on the radar and just need to put a few solid wins together outside of the UFC to earn a ticket back.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.22.2011 | 6:04 PM ET

@LynxGuy good points but some of the recent TUF casts have been really sub-par, in terms of talent. Denis Kang, Matt Horwich, David Loiseau... would produce some good free fights. 

I don't agree with everyone that TS listed as possible contestant, but I'd watch a "comebacks 2" season.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Team Tanner
Team Tanner
  • Predictions:  410  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  85
  • Post Score: 67

02.22.2011 | 6:08 PM ET

There could be a much better list that the one above.  I like the idea of TUF Comeback #2 though :)

"Believe, in the power of one" - Evan Tanner

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.23.2011 | 4:10 AM ET

I think a comeback 2 season would be amazing. The level of talent coming out of the TUF shows hasn't been up to par as of late with the exception of Sotiropoulos. Can't help but think of Nate Quarry doing those awesome antics in round 3 during that fight with Starnes; i'm pretty sure Dana would never let him back in.
caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.23.2011 | 8:05 AM ET

love the idea! I personally would prefer a  TUF Heavyweight Comeback. Reason being the last heavyweight season was a joke. The only reason that got any recognition was because of Kimbo, Rampage, and Reshad. Only fight anyone remembers from that season is Kimbo getting smothered by Nelson. The HW division is now getting stacked with talent that haven't been getting chance to shine on the big stage. Some good HW have even been cut. I think it would be the perfect counter to SF's Gran Prix they have going. Here are my 8 picks for a cast:

Tim Sylvia (Former Champ)
Gabe Gonzaga (Former Contender)
Sean McCorkle (comic relief and prospect)
Ken Shamrock (TUF always needs a cast member that borders on insane)
Ben Rothwell (he beat Roy Nelson the last HW TUF Champ)
Mirko Cro Cop (MMA legend)
Cheick Kongo (has given current HW Champ his toughest fight so far)
Big Nog (Former Pride and UFC Champ)

Any other suggestions?

GDPofFPR
GDPofFPR
  • Predictions:  255  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 29

02.23.2011 | 8:14 AM ET

A little off topic, but after season 14 of TUF there will be 20 TUF winners.  Time for the all TUF card maybe?  Got to get Lutter and Effrain back in the UFC though.

"I train to fall form great distances"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.23.2011 | 8:51 AM ET

The one rising start that came from that TUF season with Kimbo was Matt Mitrione - he shows improvement with each fight

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.23.2011 | 11:05 AM ET

If I was going to do 8 MW they would be, Keep in mind I'm trying to avoid guys that would be tied up exclusively with SF that they use as headliners like Lawler, and Miller. UFC/WEC record in ( )
Denis Kang (1-2)Thales Leites (5-3)Jeremy Horn (6-7)Trevor Prangley (2-2)Falaniko Vitale (1-1)Paulo Filho (2-1) (Really former WEC champ but hey not much different, is also dependent on mental state)Matt Lindland (9-3) (Likely on bad terms with the UFC)
possibley Matt Horowich (0-2) or David Loiseau (4-5)

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

02.23.2011 | 12:22 PM ET

I might keep interest throughout the entire season of a comeback season...I always watch the fights to get into the house and then seem to lose interest in TUF until the finale.

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

02.26.2011 | 5:22 AM ET

I agree with Bigj383. I thought about Leties, Horn, Prangley and Filho. Leties is probably not welcomed back, there was a bad falling out after the Silva fight, he immediately dropped to the undercard. Horn maybe, but I'm not sure he's looking to keep fighting much longer. Filho I left off because he was WEC but I could see it since WEC was absolved. I'm not sure Prangley's status/contract with Shark and Strikeforce. Lindland, man, he could have beat Fedor, but ever since then, I mean, he's been KO'd nearly as many times as Jardine, (and Liddell for that matter) I'm not sure I want to see any of them fight again, they could turn into one of the those has-been boxers that can't string a thought together and have it come out their mouth.

I also agree that the recent casts of TUF have been sub-par. Really ever since TUF5 they’ve had only 2-3 really solid fighters on any given cast. But I look forward to a TUF with Featherweights and Bantamweights, I think that could produce some good fighters

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! McGregor’s Comeback Fight Poster Is A Complete Disaster
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’ll Be Fighting For The Title Next Year’
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Credits Colby Covington For Ian Garry Troll Job: ‘Some Of His Finest Work’
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler UFC 303 poster features yellow yelling faces
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Derrick Lewis deliver another knockout at UFC St. Louis?
  • MMA Junkie : Robelis Despaigne sees himself fighting for UFC heavyweight title in 2025
  • MMA Mania : ‘You’re Not A Real Man!’ Sterling And O’Malley Reignite Rivalry
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303 poster released showing return of Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan’s Coach Doesn’t Believe #1 Contender Is Ready To Dethrone Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez sees UFC Fight Night 241 as 'do or die,' says training with Diego Lopes reignited love for MMA
  • MMAFighting.com : Sydney Sweeney to portray boxing legend Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
  • MMA Mania : Video: Assuncao Spits On Opponent After BJJ Match Controversy
  • UFC.com : Meet Feathereright Bekhzod Usmonov | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Giannis Bachar | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Jan Blachowicz Believes He Deserves a Rematch with Alex Pereira: ‘He is Not a Better Fighter Than Me’
  • MMA Junkie : After resting his body and brain, UFC's Beneil Dariush targets end of summer return
  • MMAFighting.com : Aljamain Sterling, Sean O’Malley’s coach erupt into fiery argument after new video emerges
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Nathan Fletcher | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Shevchenko vs Team Grasso
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon