Tapology Forums

John Danaher: A true martial artist

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

lilspyder
lilspyder
  • Predictions:  32,913  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  288
  • Post Score: 100

02.21.2011 | 10:50 AM ET

So I have a subscription to a great fight magazine called Fighter's Only. It is devoted to mma and promoting mma from all aspects so that it truly does live up to it's standard of being the world's leading mma & lifestyle magazine. This month they had a topic called jedi mma, which was a feature about top trainer's and how they get their fighter's into a right mindset. Now we've all heard about greg jackson, shawn tompkins, and john hackleman, but they also featured a man named john danaher. This guy, if anyone still watches the ultimate fighter, was the jiu jitsu coach for GSP and an assistant coach for him on the show. This man is a genius, and no one truly understands that! He has a Master's Degree in Philosophy from Columbia University (which is no small thing in itself) as well as a black belt under Renzo Gracie. He uses this degree to apply to his teaching of jiu jitsu and states that "a man deeply committed to jiu-jitsu must stand for something. Jiu-jitsu gives a man a set of principles that can govern his overall approach to life" using this and his approach of biomechanics to jiu jitsu I believe that Danaher is a true martial artist and well deserving of way more praise than he gets. Although he does try to stay out of the limelight and was given the nickname Sasquatch by Dave Camarillo for being so elusive to the fame spotlight.

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

Responses

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.21.2011 | 10:52 AM ET

yea i remember seeing him on tuf he seems like a yoda type lol really smart and calm when he speaks

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

lilspyder
lilspyder

02.21.2011 | 10:56 AM ET

It's the philospher in him. And he really is super chill apparently! even when he was doing the interview he was just talking about biomechanics of bjj and philosophy. None of the normal i make sure that i can calm them down and stuff. Apparently GSP say's he's the smartest man he's ever met

"Never Give Up! These violent delights have violent ends. Amat victoria paratum"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.21.2011 | 10:59 AM ET

I couldn't agree more. I train at RGA in NY and I've taken many classes with John. He's the best jiu-jitsu instructor I've experienced, and watching him grapple is simply amazing. His style is fluid, effortless, and slow. He never appears out of balance or confused - he is just slowly, deliberately working his way towards submitting his opponent. As far as I know he never competes -- just teaches. And he's an absolute gym rat. He spends all of his time grappling, teaching, or thinking about grappling.

He's there teaching guys like Frankie Edgar and GSP in the afternoons when they come through town, which is cool to watch. He has also said that he has difficulty hanging with GSP in pure Jiu-Jitsu, which is a real testament to GSP's grappling since John is such an extraordinary grappler himself. I'll see if I can dig up the quote.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.21.2011 | 12:05 PM ET

wow thats awesome i'd love to roll with a guy like that. you could really learn alot

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

Team Tanner
Team Tanner
  • Predictions:  410  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  85
  • Post Score: 67

02.21.2011 | 7:06 PM ET

I agree KnockOut KID, from what I've heard... Danaher is literally a freaking genius at life, I can only imagine his techniques and strategies on the mat in BJJ!  I like what he's doing with GSP.

"Believe, in the power of one" - Evan Tanner

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.22.2011 | 3:52 AM ET

Yeah this guy is amazing, once he devotes himself to anything in life he accels and becomes obsessed to an extent. I think it was on a UFC primtime with GSP that they stated he was once a body builder and bulked up to nearly 275lbs because he was obsessed, and then discovered BJJ. I'd like to know when he started training GSP, because his grappling, especially his ability to pass at ease, seemed to progress extensively around the timeframe of his Matt Hughes 3rd fight.
lilspyder
lilspyder

02.22.2011 | 4:34 AM ET

Jeremy i'm jealous. I would love to roll with Danaher, I mean i'm only a white belt but I bet I would pick up a lot just rolling with him once for sure! bk your right also he used to be a bodybuilder when he was getting his master's. I also read about how obsessed he is with BJJ, being a gym rat and showing up to Matt Serra's wedding wearing a rash guard?! Jeremy is this really true or just jokes that have been thrown around? Also I can't believe that Danaher is so amazing and he's never competed in a tournament! That's got to be kind of historical because normally you have to be battle-tested to reach such a high level. Not ever doubting his skills of course I mean if GSP and Edgar amongst other's are coming to learn from him you know he's got something special. Also, truly special because he was teaching at Renzo's since he was a purple belt.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Alex Caceres vs. Sean Woodson prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMAFighting.com : Diego Ferreira asked for advance payment for UFC St. Louis: ‘I was behind three months in the gym’
  • MMA Junkie : Diego Ferreira vs. Mateusz Rebecki prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMAFighting.com : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson tickets include wild $2 million MVP package
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Lomachenko Vs. Kambosos Results & Play-By-Play!
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Got Careless FedEx Employee Fired After Video Went Viral
  • MMA Junkie : Alonzo Menifield vs. Carlos Ulberg prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Ordered By Irish High Court To Disclose Profits From Proper No. 12 Whiskey Deal
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos start time, fight card, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : UFC St. Louis Start time, Full Fight Card Details
  • Bad Left Hook : Tyson Fury shows off ready physique ahead of Usyk fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Rampage Jackson believes Stipe Miocic beats Jon Jones: ‘I just feel like he might not have a chin’
  • MMA Mania : Chaos! Misfits Weigh-In Ends With Surprise Slap, Melee
  • MMA Junkie : Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento prediction, pick: Will 'The Black Beast' add to his knockout record?
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis predictions
  • MMA Mania : Good Morning! Australian Fighter Left Motionless After Violent KO