Tapology Forums

MMA Orgs

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

02.17.2011 | 1:46 PM ET

So I always make a point to watch every "big league" MMA show I can.  When I say big league, I'm refering to what seems to be the unspoken yet commonly held opinion of what are the most important MMA organizations: UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Dream, and Sengoku (granted in the near future Dream and Sengoku may not exist or at least not in this capacity).

My question in this forum is, besides these big league shows, what are the best orgs to watch?  Because of the magic of HDNet, I've become more familiar with KoTC and MFC, which I really enjoy.  Ring of Combat and Tachi are great too.  Does anyone else have any shows that they really enjoy, or is it too difficult to keep up with the smaller shows due to TV deals or lack there of?

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

Responses

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

02.17.2011 | 1:58 PM ET

shark fights has been putting on some fairly big budget shows recently, and are in talks for a TV deal. i've watched both Shark fights 12 and 13. they just announced their first show this year SF 14.http://mmajunkie.com/news/22515/shark-fights-returns-march-11-with-horwich-vs-villefort-broadcast-deal-likely.mma
they have been recruiting a lot of ufc cast offs, and some fairly big veteran fighters. I recommend it. 
MFC is also really cool, for some up and coming fighters.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

02.17.2011 | 2:11 PM ET

the shark fights shows ive watched have been quite good.  Heres hoping they keep it up!

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

TownStar
TownStar

02.17.2011 | 2:12 PM ET

and to elaborate further... Tachi palace fights is really starting to inch its way into the mainstream as well. actually Tachi Palace Fights 8 is streaming live on mmajunkie.com tomorrow Friday the 18th, they have streamed the last couple cards. Good place to catch some flyweights and up and coming lower weight class fighters. They also have a good stable of ufc vets. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

02.17.2011 | 2:14 PM ET

DaiKaiju how do you keep up with Ring of Combat... do you go to them in person?

In answer to your question, you named pretty much every organization that I follow.  I know some hardcore fans keep tabs on JMMA like Shooto, Deep, and whatever else is out there, but I still haven't gotten into it.  Seems like JungleFights and maybe some other Brazilian promotions are getting bigger, so those are worth looking out for.

And then locally I follow the New England MMA scene closely (and we've started putting a lot of the cards up on Tapology).

"I live, I die, I live again."

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

02.17.2011 | 2:36 PM ET

@gregory, with Ring of Combat I use youtube unfortunatley.  Once you get a guy like Ricardo Romero or Gian Villante who hits the big stage, and I hear about where they come from, I check youtube and see what they've done (so I get more points in my predictions, ha).  Ring Of Combat is easily accessible on youtube (at least in highlight form) and always alot of fun.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.17.2011 | 2:37 PM ET

The last Shark Fights show was really good. MFC is definitely one to watch.

Also, there is this promotion called Fightme Mma (dumb name, I know), they are centered in St. Louis, and I think they're trying to get more national in the future. There first show had a relatively big name for a first show in Josh Neer, but other than that, not really anyone, but the fights were entertaining, but more importantly and what makes them stand out is that the tickets and online stream were free. I don't know whether they'll have another show though because they haven't put anything up on their website since their first event, which happened last summer. But anyways, it was fun, and if they have another event, they'll probably get another decent name for the main event, and for free, might as well watch it (also the promoter promised a 10k bonus to any fighter with a headkick ko, and 5k for a one-hitter quitter nonheadkick ko, which led to some awesome stuff on the feet, lol).

Then there is this promotion called Ringside MMA, which I hadn't heard of until recently, but their next event is being headlined with Patrick Cote vs Kalib Starnes. I'll be trying to watch that one for sure, i don't know how it will be broadcasted.

"We Are All One"

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked

02.17.2011 | 2:59 PM ET

I did buy the Shark Fights ppv when Jardine/Prangley headlined, mostly because it was a really slow time for the big shows.  Probably wouldnt spend money on it again, but it was a decent show.  Shine Fights had a cool idea with that one night tournament, but I'm not sure if they are even around anymore.  Bitetti Combat is one of my favorite Brazilian promotions, but they really scaled back their shows recently.  I wish I could find the minor league JMMA shows, but I've never been able to catch any.

TownStar
TownStar

02.17.2011 | 3:59 PM ET

im bumned to hear that shine fights may be gone, that one night tourney was great. Doubt will see any more of those in the US anymore. Drew Ficket destroyed in that, im suprised he hasnt signed with any major promotions after that.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

TownStar
TownStar

02.17.2011 | 4:01 PM ET

I retract that last sentence, he signed with MFC and is expected to fight Mckee this month.... haha i think i even already have him picked by submission.

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

02.17.2011 | 4:02 PM ET

McKee Fickett could be a good one. Fickett is good when trained and in shape.

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.17.2011 | 4:34 PM ET

I've been very impressed recently with the shows put on by Legend FC in Hong Kong. We stumbled on them by pure coincidence - when this site launched and we told some people about it, a friend of a friend said we should check out Legend. Before that I had never heard of them. We spoke to them and put their January show on the site for predictions. I believe they've done four shows total, with the most recent one available on PPV in North America. You can also find many of their fights on YouTube, and we will be adding more of the videos to the site here.

I've been impressed by them so far. They are organized and run a tight ship and are going places. To a large extent the fighters are not UFC/Strikeforce level guys yet -- many do not come from a ground fighting background -- but from what I have watched the fights are exciting and evenly matched. Since Beijing's Art of War has turned out to be less of a consistent, robust fighting promotion and more of a rare (albeit entertaining) high end spectacle, I can see Legend becoming the regional MMA power if Sengoku and/or Dream are forced to call it quits -- or even if they don't.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

02.17.2011 | 4:47 PM ET

ive never watched an MFC show before but im looking forward to the next one. i know mckee got cut after one loss by in the ufc so i wanna see if he finishes fickett quickly or holds him down for a decision.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.17.2011 | 5:18 PM ET

I agree with Jeremy, those Legend FC fights are pretty awesome. I hadn't heard of them until I came to this website, and I watched the most recent event, and a few fights from old ones that I could find online, and I really enjoyed it. I'll probably buy the next one. 

"We Are All One"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.17.2011 | 5:42 PM ET

shark fights, titan fights, showdown fights I believe its hard to keep track of some of the smaller companies but its cool to see some of the smaller fighers grow into pros.
kallousklown
kallousklown

02.17.2011 | 6:41 PM ET

i enjoyed the last Titan fc event. surprised that clementi gt tapped out. ill be looking forwrad to the next one.

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

02.17.2011 | 7:03 PM ET

yeah Phil Baroni is fighting I wonder whats hes gonna do. Another Fighter I have been watching is Jens Pulver I forget what promotion hes running with but I heard he won his last fight.
kallousklown
kallousklown

02.17.2011 | 7:26 PM ET

itll be sad to see baroni lose. after clementi though, i wouldnt be surprised.

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

02.17.2011 | 7:33 PM ET

Baroni can't lose, he's the man, and the best ever.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

kallousklown
kallousklown

02.17.2011 | 8:09 PM ET

i think you mean the best EVA!

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

02.18.2011 | 3:52 PM ET

yea i stick to hdnet fights and live streams its hard to order any other shows or even find them

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • Alex Caceres vs. Sean Woodson - The fighters are being introduced by the announcer.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Alex Caceres 25% Sean Woodson 75%
  • Alex "Bruce Leeroy" Caceres (21-14-0, 1 NC) FL, US is the #18th Top Featherweight MMA fighter.
  • Sean "The Sniper" Woodson (11-1-1) MO, US is the #24th Top Featherweight MMA fighter.
  • UFC Fight Night features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Enterprise Center in St. Louis, Missouri