Tapology Forums

Let's Give Back to the fighters

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MMAFANSUNITE
MMAFANSUNITE
  • Predictions:  42  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 200

04.27.2021 | 5:42 PM ET

I have huge respect for any man or woman who puts their body at risk during any particular MMA fight.  Sharing praise on social media for fighters is one way  any of us can show our appreciation to them.  But collectively as fans, maybe we can do more?  

It seems appropriate for fighters who put themselves at risk during training and fights, to receive health insurance and benefits.  Maybe they do already?   But if they don't,  maybe a huge lobby of MMA fans could help move things along in that direction.  I think it's safe to assume that management is going to do it on their own, if they have not already.

And now for my second idea:    Judge Reform    Is there not any fighter who wouldn't like to see the quality of judging improve.  As a fan, I'm sick of seeing the wrong fighter get his or her hand raised at the end of a hard fought bout.  I would imagine that the fighter on the bad end of a judging snafu would feel greater frustration.

I recently read somewhere that UFC has judges on the payroll.   Is this not a conflict of interest?   Whether judges are paid by promotions or a different party; I see a great amount of room for improvement.   In my opinion, bad judging is one of the biggest obstacles that MMA is facing when it comes to achieving a new level of popularity and attention.

As fans who love to watch this sport,  maybe we can collectively make a difference and do something for the fighters that we love to see fight.  Maybe some kind of class action lawsuit  is an option?  Consider this post as getting the ball rolling.  

Would love to hear constructive feedback from multiple points of view.  Thank you!  Let's do something for the fighters.

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.27.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

UFC does not have judges on the payroll. That would be illegal in a variety of contexts.  Judges are appointed by Athletic commissions.

My opinion on it is that Judges/referees are not outright to be bought, but if you pay attention, they definitely adjudicate inconsistently and in such a way that benefits fighters which stand to make UFC lots of money. I'm not saying they take brown paper bags. That would be silly and they need not do it. What I am saying is that that it's very ( very very) likely the case that there's a special relationship between commissions and the promotion.

This is pretty much far for the course whenever and wherever there's big money involved in anything involving any beaurocracy anywhere. 

The conflict of interest is embedded in the system itself. For example, many more people prefer to watch fighters who do flashy **** and hit KO's, and finishes in general, than fighters who put on grappling clinics who win through control dominance. Those fighters make the promotion money. Especially if they can smack talk. That's why Conor Mcgregor is a bigger draw than Khabib.

States make money through UFC cards. They make money through licensing, taxation, and sales whenever a UFC card is in town. This doesn't just involve people turning up at the gate. It's all the little businesses that benefit from the flow-on effects. Air BNB's, Hotels, food vendors, etc et al. The bigger the card is, the more fly-ins and general spenders and revenue it generates for both UFC and the State. And what makes a card big is big name big draw fighters being on it.

UFC is not obligated to put on a card in any given State. When they do this, they are doing that State a service.

Therefore, the best case scenario for both states and the UFC is that the fighters who draw win. There is no way around this governing principle of the economics of it. Since Commissions decide who will be judging/refereeing, they ultimately get to decide how fights are judged and scored to an extent. Obviously they can't legislate against acts of God, but they definitely can stack the deck in an attempt to manifest the result that is best for everyone, financially. 

And because judges and referees are employees of the commissions, it's almost certainly the case that they kind of...well, look after number one, knowing that if they don't keep with the sina que non of what the commission wants, they'll probably find themselves getting less and less work over time.

That's essentially how I think it works. I think a similar relationship exists between UFC and USADA. I'll never believe that UFC trusts millions of dollars in lost revenue to the pure chance of authentically random testing. It would be insanely reckless and totally unfeasible. 
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 5 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,195  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6,185
  • Post Score: 332

04.28.2021 | 12:01 PM ET

The only time the UFC employs judges are when there is no athletic commission where they are hosting fights. Then they will hire referees and judges.

A while ago they had a event like this and a judge made a terrible decision for a fight. So Dana White fired him on the spot and made him watch the fights. 2014

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2183411-ufc-chiding-dana-white-over-judge-removal-was-a-nice-but-empty-gesture

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’
  • Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov
  • UFC.com : Rankings Report | Week of May 6, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : Jermall Charlo charged with DWI and fleeing after crashing Lamborghini
  • UFC.com : Last Time In St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Billy Goff Is Willing To Take The Risks
  • MMA Mania : White Accused Of Betting On NFL During Boring Bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry unsure Darren Till fight happens, teases interest in Caleb Plant: ‘Bring it on, motherf*ckers’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Laura Sanko joins booth for second time in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Payton Talbott draws Yanis Ghemmouri at UFC 303 on June 29
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Will Lewis Turn Back Another Prospect?
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Jon Jones 'smart' for going after Alex Pereira over Tom Aspinall
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja dreams of fight against flyweight ‘GOAT’ Demetrious Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Brain Damage Forces Hardy From BKFC 61
  • MMA Junkie : Heather Hardy suffering from effects of 'too much brain damage,' indicates fighting career is over
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC champ Dricus du Plessis perform as Wildebeest on The Masked Singer
  • Middle Easy : Patchy Mix Declares Himself As ‘Best Bantamweight On The Planet’, Says He’d ‘Sleep’ Sean O’Malley And Petr Yan
  • MMA Mania : ‘One Of Us Has To Die’